Scissor Switch keyboard recommendation?

xTek

23 Jun 2018, 01:22

Hi people.

I really like the feeling of typing on my Dell Latitude E5430, and like most laptops today I found out it has Scissor Switches.
I like that they are super short travel, stable and require light force to actuate.

I would like to buy a full 104 low profile keyboard with Scissor Switches for desktop use, however I would need a recommendation on which one to buy. Are there some high quality low cost ones out there?

Thanks.

p.s. I do realize Scissor Switches are not mechanical, and I hope that me posting about them on a mechanical keyboard forum doesn't bother you too much :D

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Jun 2018, 04:32

Spearra

23 Jun 2018, 09:58

The Cougar Vantar is about $33(ish) in USD. It is very low profile and isn't the monstrous price of a BFKB113PBK (which is near $100 USD).

If you want something a bit more durable than the C.V. at the cost of the keyboard's keys being about 3.8mm high, the Perixx PX-1900 is about $40 USD. The rebound is a bit violent in the case of the PX-1900 so it feels heavier then it actually is. The PX-1900 is severely underestimated build quality wise. It takes about 50+/= grams of force to actuate.

Basically: (In USD) Cougar Vantar is about $33, flat but basic,
the Perixx PX-1900 is about $40, which is more durable but is hilariously thick for a scissor switch keyboard,
and finally the BFKB113PBK which is a unrealistic near $100 range. Pretty much combines the prior two, the flatness of the C.V. but the durability and reliability of the P.PX-1900.
If you really need the flat design, go with the Cougar Vantar. If you can tolerate the extra height of the Perixx PX-1900, the extremely good build quality of it is a easy recommendation on my end. But if you can afford to do so, the BFKB113PBK will more then likely be complete overkill in both departments with it's colossal price (for a scissor switch keyboard).

Oh, and the Perixx PX-1900 and BFKB113PBK are water/spill resistant if that is anything of interest. Along with dust resistance which rubber domes in general are pretty resistant against (that being dust).

Finally, as far as stabilization is concerned, I've noticed the PX-1900 slaughters the other two options. From a sitting distance, it borderline doesn't wobble visually so rattle almost doesn't exist. Do note that, as high of a key structure the PX-1900 is, it still has a short of travel that scissor switches are famous/notorious for.

That's just my hilariously bias opinion though! The other scissor switch options besides these 3, I've noticed aren't too great usually because they screw with that bottom row and it destroys the feel of the entire board. Either that or they just outright suck built quality wise. If you go with any external scissor switch keyboard, I highly recommend your decision be of one of these three, since all the others are dodgy at best.

xTek

23 Jun 2018, 11:54

Meh... It has too many colors for me :D
Spearra wrote: The Cougar Vantar is about $33(ish) in USD. It is very low profile and isn't the monstrous price of a BFKB113PBK (which is near $100 USD).

If you want something a bit more durable than the C.V. at the cost of the keyboard's keys being about 3.8mm high, the Perixx PX-1900 is about $40 USD. The rebound is a bit violent in the case of the PX-1900 so it feels heavier then it actually is. The PX-1900 is severely underestimated build quality wise. It takes about 50+/= grams of force to actuate.

Basically: (In USD) Cougar Vantar is about $33, flat but basic,
the Perixx PX-1900 is about $40, which is more durable but is hilariously thick for a scissor switch keyboard,
and finally the BFKB113PBK which is a unrealistic near $100 range. Pretty much combines the prior two, the flatness of the C.V. but the durability and reliability of the P.PX-1900.
If you really need the flat design, go with the Cougar Vantar. If you can tolerate the extra height of the Perixx PX-1900, the extremely good build quality of it is a easy recommendation on my end. But if you can afford to do so, the BFKB113PBK will more then likely be complete overkill in both departments with it's colossal price (for a scissor switch keyboard).

Oh, and the Perixx PX-1900 and BFKB113PBK are water/spill resistant if that is anything of interest. Along with dust resistance which rubber domes in general are pretty resistant against (that being dust).

Finally, as far as stabilization is concerned, I've noticed the PX-1900 slaughters the other two options. From a sitting distance, it borderline doesn't wobble visually so rattle almost doesn't exist. Do note that, as high of a key structure the PX-1900 is, it still has a short of travel that scissor switches are famous/notorious for.

That's just my hilariously bias opinion though! The other scissor switch options besides these 3, I've noticed aren't too great usually because they screw with that bottom row and it destroys the feel of the entire board. Either that or they just outright suck built quality wise. If you go with any external scissor switch keyboard, I highly recommend your decision be of one of these three, since all the others are dodgy at best.
Holy sh*t, that is the reply I could've only hoped for. PX-1900 seems to be the best one out of those 3, I'll look into that one! :)
Thanks for the reply! ;)

Chyros

23 Jun 2018, 13:57

I've heard good things about those low-profile Logitech boards with the round buttons. I don't know their model name. Not a fan of low-travel boards boards myself, so I'm not an expert myself :) .

xTek

23 Jun 2018, 14:21

Chyros wrote: I've heard good things about those low-profile Logitech boards with the round buttons. I don't know their model name. Not a fan of low-travel boards boards myself, so I'm not an expert myself :) .
Ah the K780.. well they are 80$, or 120$ where I live... They are a bit out of reach at the moment.. Hopefully in a month or two I will be able to obtain keyboards even in that price range :)

Chyros

23 Jun 2018, 16:54

xTek wrote:
Chyros wrote: I've heard good things about those low-profile Logitech boards with the round buttons. I don't know their model name. Not a fan of low-travel boards boards myself, so I'm not an expert myself :) .
Ah the K780.. well they are 80$, or 120$ where I live... They are a bit out of reach at the moment.. Hopefully in a month or two I will be able to obtain keyboards even in that price range :)
Jesus Christ, why in crikey fuck would those things be so expensive?! Oo

xTek

23 Jun 2018, 18:37

Chyros wrote: Jesus Christ, why in crikey fuck would those things be so expensive?! Oo
Beats me... Might as well use that money to get myself a Model F that I've been dreaming of so much for so long.
I will try and not spend more than 20$ on a scissor switch keyboard :)

snarfbot

23 Jun 2018, 19:58

this one looks nice and is pretty reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Arion-Rapoo-Ultr ... board&th=1

xTek

23 Jun 2018, 20:06

snarfbot wrote: this one looks nice and is pretty reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Arion-Rapoo-Ultr ... board&th=1
Indeed. The best part is I can actually find it in local stores :D

snarfbot

24 Jun 2018, 16:27

well seems like a no brainer then! do a review if you wind up getting one, all the reviews on the net just have people standing around holding it and/or talking but not typing lol.

montydrei

01 Jul 2018, 05:43

Another option, perhaps, would be this Kensington Slim Wired Keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00426HI8U/

Has all 104 keys, but in a somewhat compact layout, plus some extra functions and media control buttons. It's what I'm using to type this post right now and has been by loyal companion for my home desktop for over a year, but I may be replacing it in a month or two with an electro-capacitive keyboard. It's very quiet, and the keys do not require much force and are fairly short in travel as well.

davkol

07 Jul 2018, 16:27

I can vouch for Logitech Perfect Stroke (or related) keyboards: from K740 to K830.

Return to “Keyboards”