Wyse PCE INT'L #840362-01

ctrl

15 Jul 2018, 14:34

Recently acquired my first vintage keyboard, a Wyse PCE with ISO-SE/ISO-FI layout.

It was given to me by my cousin, who's been collecting old tech servers and terminals, as a thank you for introducing him to keyboard science (he had an extra UK-ISO Wyse WY85 Gate Array he'd rather keep and now intends to restore). It actually has a bit of backstory too. It used to be hooked up to a terminal connected to the mainframe at a large, international company where my cousin works as an engineer. As such, it was in use for a very long time while at the same time not being accessed very often. The keycaps only took a little cleaning to look pristine. I actually wanted it for the keycaps at first, especially because it has the rarer Swedish/Finnish layout with ÅÄÖ as well as the ISO Enter key, the split LShift and the Alt Gr key. However, it just looks too good to be harvested. I think I'll rather look into Soarer's firmware and modding the terminal connector to USB. :D
IMG_4280.jpeg
IMG_4280.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 1650 times
IMG_4274.jpeg
IMG_4274.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 1650 times
IMG_4275.jpeg
IMG_4275.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 1650 times
IMG_4276.jpeg
IMG_4276.jpeg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 1650 times

Findecanor

15 Jul 2018, 17:33

Nice! I never knew they were made with Swedish layout.
I also got mine in Sweden but it was ANSI.

t8c

15 Jul 2018, 21:33

Swedish DCS w/ front printing. Beautiful!

ctrl

16 Jul 2018, 10:42

Findecanor wrote: Nice! I never knew they were made with Swedish layout.
I also got mine in Sweden but it was ANSI.
Prior to getting this one, I didn't know that either! :D

I'm from Sweden, but I got this one from my Finnish cousin. Layouts are, afaik, the same in Sweden and Finland. Seems like both US-ANSI and UK-ISO Wyse boards have been present alongside rarer SE-/FI-ISO.
t8c wrote: Swedish DCS w/ front printing. Beautiful!
Delicious, right? Also, the blue cast in the ISO Enter! 8-)

Return to “Keyboards”