IBM 3278 keyboard restored

ag36

02 Aug 2018, 13:10

I've restored my 3278 and finished firmware setup, everything is working perfectly with the solenoid as well :)
Attachments
IMG_20180802_120623.jpg
IMG_20180802_120623.jpg (5.28 MiB) Viewed 2966 times
IMG_20180802_113208.jpg
IMG_20180802_113208.jpg (4.4 MiB) Viewed 2966 times

darkcruix

02 Aug 2018, 13:17

Wow, this is stunning. Great choice for color !!!!
How did you configure the key right to P? Did you use a "modern" configuration or an overlay with Macros to mimic the traditional key?

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2018, 13:21

That colour is so damn nice! Really makes the pearly alphas pop. And it speaks more to the underlying metal this whole board is made of than beige can ever claim. Sterling work.

Kinda makes me look down at my beige Kishsaver here and wonder…

@darkcruix: The way I laid out my 3278 is as similar to the Kishsaver as possible, so those keys right of P are the usual [ and ], with HHKB arrow functions laid on top of them in the function layer. Yes, I know the 3278 has arrows too, but force of habit!

ag36

02 Aug 2018, 13:26

Thanks! I've set them to [ ] \ and {} is set as enter key so it works similarly as a split ISO enter, <> is set to split shift.

depletedvespene

02 Aug 2018, 14:14

MAGNIFICENT. Fantastic work.

This is the kind of beamspring that deserves a high selling price on eBay.

And now the questions: how did you handle the modifiers? What have you mapped both leftmost and rightmost clusters to?

ag36

02 Aug 2018, 15:11

On the left, ESC(FN1 solenoid off), NUM DEL, INS, DEL, HOME, END, PGUP, PGDN. On the right, navi row on the top(FN1 media, volume, mute, play/pause) arrow is arrow.

CAPSLOCK is L CTRL, split shift, reset is capslock. Backspace is backspace the one underneath is \| retern is enter ALT is L ALT and ENTER is FN1

It seems the keyboard can have split space with a extra fly plate if someone can make a split spacebar for it and mod the stabilizer.

sealclubber

02 Aug 2018, 15:33

Good lord that's a beauty. Amazing work!

depletedvespene

02 Aug 2018, 15:47

ag36 wrote: On the left, ESC(FN1 solenoid off), NUM DEL, INS, DEL, HOME, END, PGUP, PGDN. On the right, navi row on the top(FN1 media, volume, mute, play/pause) arrow is arrow.
Seems to me that you could very well swap the two blank keycaps on the left column with the (icon) Insert and Delete keycaps on the right column, then.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Aug 2018, 16:49

That's an interesting choice of contamination shield material. I'll be interested to see how it holds up over the long term (especially if exposed to UV) and how it affects typing feel.

ag36

02 Aug 2018, 17:26

depletedvespene wrote:
ag36 wrote: On the left, ESC(FN1 solenoid off), NUM DEL, INS, DEL, HOME, END, PGUP, PGDN. On the right, navi row on the top(FN1 media, volume, mute, play/pause) arrow is arrow.
Seems to me that you could very well swap the two blank keycaps on the left column with the (icon) Insert and Delete keycaps on the right column, then.
Wanted to keep the keycaps as original layout
XMIT wrote: That's an interesting choice of contamination shield material. I'll be interested to see how it holds up over the long term (especially if exposed to UV) and how it affects typing feel.
There's nearly no effect to the feel except some noise emitted by the saran wrap but longevity is still unknown at this point.

rebsky

02 Aug 2018, 20:11

That was awesome nice work there!

ag36

03 Aug 2018, 13:14

Thanks!

Been thinking do I dispose the old pcb and cable or not. they take a lot of space and I have no use of them but very high quality.

Return to “Keyboards”