Stuff you just bought

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

29 Jul 2018, 06:03

zrrion wrote: Just ordered two Cherry MX G80s. One G80-11900LTMUS and one G80-8113LRDUS-2 both NIB. I'm pretty sure they'll have vintage blacks so it will be interesting to see how NIB vintage blacks will stand up to NIB SKCC greens. They'll also be my first MX boards so I guess If I don't like MX black Ill be able to swap them out for something else a little easier than I can with my KPT and SKCC boards.
Card reader on one of them should be cool too I guess.
The 11900 is not vintage blacks, should be mid 2000s blacks. The 8113 is MX brown.

zrrion

29 Jul 2018, 07:34

That's pretty cool too, I'll get to try more than one switch type.

Darkshado

30 Jul 2018, 02:18

Found through classifieds:
PC AT - juillet 2018.jpg
PC AT - juillet 2018.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 7330 times
Last edited by Darkshado on 18 Jun 2019, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

Lanrefni

30 Jul 2018, 04:22

Darkshado wrote: Found through classifieds:
PC AT - juillet 2018.jpg
Very nice find.

Noobmaen

08 Aug 2018, 18:39

A military keyboard with Pendar SFL 5101 reed switches, will make a more in depth post on this once I get it converted.

Nuum

08 Aug 2018, 20:34

Oh, I sold one of those ages ago. I never knew what switches it had, because I didn't have the right Torx screwdriver back then. I sold it, because the layout is unusable to me and the switches didn't feel that great, maybe due to the plastic sheet. I did like the massive metal housing and the flip switch, thought!

Moosewing

08 Aug 2018, 23:25

Just got this in the mail.
NIB Tai-Hao TH-5539-8, rebranded as F-21YQ. It has unbranded Tai-Hao APC switches - white slider, older & larger rear contact plate, wide click leaf. They feel fairly similar to the Pine White Alps in my NOS FK-2001, but more tactile and less pleasant overall. Not bad to type on, but they do have a fairly major flaw - they actuate above the click. Alps and their various clones tend to actuate higher up anyway, but these are just ridiculous. They don't quite actuate just from resting my fingers on the keys, but it doesn't take much more than that.

rich1051414

09 Aug 2018, 00:21

Moosewing wrote: Just got this in the mail.
NIB Tai-Hao TH-5539-8, rebranded as F-21YQ. It has unbranded Tai-Hao APC switches - white slider, older & larger rear contact plate, wide click leaf. They feel fairly similar to the Pine White Alps in my NOS FK-2001, but more tactile and less pleasant overall. Not bad to type on, but they do have a fairly major flaw - they actuate above the click. Alps and their various clones tend to actuate higher up anyway, but these are just ridiculous. They don't quite actuate just from resting my fingers on the keys, but it doesn't take much more than that.
I have a keyboard with a similar switch. Very tactile but not particularly in a great way. Not bad though. Mine also actuate well above the click. Its the only thing that detracts me from using it.

Ignore the crud, I took these pics before cleanup.

zrrion

13 Aug 2018, 01:24

Found a Selectric II at goodwill today

Elrick

13 Aug 2018, 05:00

zrrion wrote: Found a Selectric II at goodwill today
Have you connected it yet, to see if it works?

If you've found a Selectric which still powers on and "TYPES" then you've hit the jack pot.

That style of keyboard needs to be kept FOREVER simply because it's 100% unique compared to everything else out there.

Elrick

13 Aug 2018, 05:04

Noobmaen wrote: A military keyboard with Pendar SFL 5101 reed switches, will make a more in depth post on this once I get it converted.
Beautiful looking keyboard probably used to launch Military Missiles (ground to air).

Nice catch, if you could buy the whole setup and make a firing sequence to initiate another launch over enemy territory, then you've done great ;) .

Bass

13 Aug 2018, 05:18

This one was essentially a freebie but I got a hold of a set of Displaywriter manuals. They are not in the best shape but I am nonetheless in awe of the sheer quantity of documentation that came with this machine.
Spoiler:

zrrion

13 Aug 2018, 06:42

Elrick wrote: If you've found a Selectric which still powers on and "TYPES" then you've hit the jack pot.
It only hummed when I plugged it there, but after taking it home the clutch was just sticking. I gave it a little push, it started spinning, and I started typing.
The belt is in good shape, the insides are clean, the outsides are clean, and the ink ribbon has barely been used. I hit the jackpot with this one all right. Just going to have to figure out a good oil to oil the clutch with to make sure it doesn't have any trouble and we'll be good to go.

Moosewing

14 Aug 2018, 03:21

Canon S-15 with Alps Integrated Domes and an SKCL Green for the lock switch.

They're not the worst switches I've ever used... but they're pretty awful. I'm very happy with the keycaps though!

snufflecat

14 Aug 2018, 08:20

Moosewing wrote: Canon S-15 with Alps Integrated Domes and an SKCL Green for the lock switch.
They're not the worst switches I've ever used... but they're pretty awful. I'm very happy with the keycaps though!
Nice! All the Canon typewriters I find online rarely have the top centred lock light, so I never really bid on anything. :cry:

zrrion

16 Aug 2018, 06:04

Some very cool legends on this bad boy as well as doubleshot alps keys. They look to be black alps so that is pretty cool. I'm loving the long right shift.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

16 Aug 2018, 06:14

that gear-looking legend is super neat!

mcmaxmcmc

16 Aug 2018, 07:47

zrrion wrote: Some very cool legends on this bad boy as well as doubleshot alps keys. They look to be black alps so that is pretty cool. I'm loving the long right shift.
I don't think that's black alps, or an alps switch at all... What switch is THAT?? :shock:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

16 Aug 2018, 17:04

I can't tell because of how dark the photo is but they look like they might be Hosiden switches.

Myoth

16 Aug 2018, 17:28

why would Hosiden switches be in an Alps keyboard ?

they're obviously wiki/Alps_integrated_dome

Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2018, 17:42

It's CSI time. Enhance:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
Compare with the sample we have on file:

The seller's picture is too lousy to tell for sure, but that's a fairly good match given all the jpeg grain. Well, ugh, the more I look the less I'm sure. Why can't images be infinitely detailed like in the movies!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Aug 2018, 18:00

Muirium wrote: The seller's picture is too lousy to tell for sure, but that's a fairly good match given all the jpeg grain. Well, ugh, the more I look the less I'm sure. Why can't images be infinitely detailed like in the movies!
Looks more like this at first glance:
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (3.66 KiB) Viewed 8616 times

Noobmaen

16 Aug 2018, 18:02

snuci wrote:
Muirium wrote: The seller's picture is too lousy to tell for sure, but that's a fairly good match given all the jpeg grain. Well, ugh, the more I look the less I'm sure. Why can't images be infinitely detailed like in the movies!
Looks more like this at first glance:
switch.jpg
I'm thinking it's perhaps an Alps integrated dome variant not yet documented on deskthority.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

16 Aug 2018, 18:21

Myoth wrote: why would Hosiden switches be in an Alps keyboard ?

It's a Yamaha keyboard and there is no way we could know that it's made by Alps if it hasn't been disassembled (or if it is indeed integrated dome, but the image is too terrible to see).

samuelcable

16 Aug 2018, 18:28

20180810_084528.jpg
20180810_084528.jpg (188.13 KiB) Viewed 8587 times
Cherry ncr 0577 I got off ebay for 60 shipped. I originally broke a stem on the insert key which is the first time ever I've broken a cherry stem but it is fixed now. Very nice vintage blacks. It's a shame the arrow keys don't work on my pc

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Aug 2018, 18:34

samuelcable wrote:
20180810_084528.jpg
It's a shame the arrow keys don't work on my pc
Are you using a converter like soarers? If so, the converter might be picking it up as set2 where it may actually be set2ext.

If it's XT, I had almost the exact same problem and I switched to Hasu's XT converter with the extended key map and it worked after that.

Myoth

16 Aug 2018, 18:38

Blaise170 wrote:
Myoth wrote: why would Hosiden switches be in an Alps keyboard ?

It's a Yamaha keyboard and there is no way we could know that it's made by Alps if it hasn't been disassembled (or if it is indeed integrated dome, but the image is too terrible to see).
They're Alps keycaps, and the space-bar switch is probably a SKFL Cream. They surely are made by Alps. I have a later version of an MSX.

samuelcable

16 Aug 2018, 18:44

snacksthecat wrote:
samuelcable wrote:
20180810_084528.jpg
It's a shame the arrow keys don't work on my pc
Are you using a converter like soarers? If so, the converter might be picking it up as set2 where it may actually be set2ext.

If it's XT, I had almost the exact same problem and I switched to Hasu's XT converter with the extended key map and it worked after that.
I am using a soarers plug n play converter, I don't have a hasu converter right now but I'll look into it since this board is nice on my desk

zrrion

16 Aug 2018, 19:05

Here's another pic where you can see the switches better. It's still not a super great pic though.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

16 Aug 2018, 19:48

Myoth wrote:
Blaise170 wrote:
Myoth wrote: They're Alps keycaps, and the space-bar switch is probably a SKFL Cream. They surely are made by Alps. I have a later version of an MSX.
Again, how do you know they are Alps caps?

Return to “News”