Fuck you, Paypal!

chuckdee

16 Aug 2016, 20:46

seebart wrote: It's appropriate though, the only good thing I can think of is their eBay insurance. Their fees are grotesque.
But the response didn't talk to any of these. It was just barely intelligible garble. :?:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Aug 2016, 20:57

chuckdee wrote:
seebart wrote: It's appropriate though, the only good thing I can think of is their eBay insurance. Their fees are grotesque.
But the response didn't talk to any of these. It was just barely intelligible garble. :?:
Which response? Mine?

chuckdee

16 Aug 2016, 21:19

The original necro.

seebart

16 Aug 2016, 21:23

True, more emotional than anything. People having their money locked for no comprehensible reason does not bring out the best in them I guess.

emdude
Model M Apologist

16 Aug 2016, 21:43

Unfortunately so, I feel that this sort of thing led to a lot of pain and suffering in the whole berserkfan ordeal, for him early on, and later for those who were wronged and were unable to be recompensed because of bank transfers (at least, based on my limited understanding of the whole debacle, so please correct me if I got details wrong here).

Then there was JDCarpe's situation, where his funds being locked out led him into a depression because he was unable to complete his outstanding group buys. :( Fortunately, it seems like he managed to find a way around all that.

Paypal does not sit well with me because of stuff like this, even if it's still one of the more convenient ways to complete online transactions at the moment.

seebart

16 Aug 2016, 21:53

Paypal have their rules and regulations, I'm sure they don't have the time to fully analyze all their transactions. The way I understood that whole berserkfan ordeal that guy himself was the root of the problem, JDCarpe's strory I don't even know.

emdude
Model M Apologist

16 Aug 2016, 22:03

Oh that's certainly true; my understanding of Paypal's rules is that they freeze any account that has unusually large amounts of money flowing into it; in order to avoid this, you'd have to jump through some hoops and form your own company, even if you're literally the only person in it.

Otherwise, it seems like you have to go through a lot of trouble to get your account unfrozen.

As for berserkfan, I do realize that he was probably being crooked from the start (or at the least was very grossly incompetent), but I feel more people would have been able to get their money back if they had completed their transactions through PayPal..

ohaimark
Kingpin

16 Aug 2016, 22:06

eBay just mildly de-shittified itself, in my opinion. They FINALLY dropped UPS as their commercial shipping partner and went to FedEx. The fees are still relatively large, but at least you can get decent shipping quality and rates.

seebart

16 Aug 2016, 22:11

ohaimark wrote: eBay just mildly de-shittified itself, in my opinion. They FINALLY dropped UPS as their commercial shipping partner and went to FedEx. The fees are still relatively large, but at least you can get decent shipping quality and rates.
All that is just for you guys, but eBay does have some sort of DHL shipping offer for sellers over here.

chuckdee

16 Aug 2016, 22:43

emdude wrote: As for berserkfan, I do realize that he was probably being crooked from the start (or at the least was very grossly incompetent), but I feel more people would have been able to get their money back if they had completed their transactions through PayPal..
When people say that it's X% more to pay through paypal, I just either pay it, or don't. It's that tendency that allowed me to get my full amount (including the 4% fees) back from that particular fiasco. That, and the fact that I didn't listen when people were saying to give it more time. The longer the time you wait, especially for large sales, the more likely it is that the seller will get into a Paypal black hole (you didn't think it was just you they were scamming?) and Paypal will start to fight back.

seebart

16 Aug 2016, 22:57

That's right, and the fact that the buyer's money is secured is one of the few benefits I really see in using PP. I'm not sure if the locking down of money even has anything to do with that. I've had money locked on regular refunds where the seller and I did not even have any disagreements.

davkol

11 Jul 2018, 12:37

I've just remembered this thread as PayPal told customer her death breached its rules.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Jul 2018, 15:18

I don't necessarily fault PayPal for that - it looks like a standard message as part of the Fair Credit Act.

vometia
irritant

23 Jul 2018, 19:42

He added that he had been assured that whatever the cause, it would be addressed, although PayPal had told him it would not be able to share the information because it was an "internal matter".
Well that's sincerity for you. In other words they're pre-emptively covering up the fact that they won't do anything other than a spot of PR management since the story got out.

I'm quite relieved I haven't had that particular problem to deal with, but other incidents with Paypal has revealed them to be evasive and generally difficult arses to deal with and as with everyone else, their plethora of rather exorbitant fees especially where currency conversions are concerned are extremely irritating, especially as they like to make it as hard as possible to use a cheaper alternative (i.e. practically anything else).

abrahamstechnology

22 Aug 2018, 02:04

PayPal keeps asking for my SSN. Screw them, they are never getting it...

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Aug 2018, 08:12

It's not PayPal's fault, they are just comply with federal anti money laundering laws.

chuckdee

22 Aug 2018, 16:00

Blaise170 wrote: It's not PayPal's fault, they are just comply with federal anti money laundering laws.
Exactly. And if you don't give it to them, at the limits of what they have to report, they'll just freeze your account. Perhaps even before that.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Aug 2018, 16:26

Also I suppose the US government also wants their tax revenue if you have enough cash flow coming into your PayPal account.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Aug 2018, 16:30

Pay your fuckpal!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

depletedvespene

22 Aug 2018, 18:43

Wodan wrote: Pay your fuckpal!
Can I treat her to a nice dinner, instead?

(it's academic, anyway)

chuckdee

22 Aug 2018, 19:49

depletedvespene wrote:
Wodan wrote: Pay your fuckpal!
Can I treat her to a nice dinner, instead?
Not if you need to use the funds from your paypal account. :lol:

abrahamstechnology

23 Aug 2018, 01:58

chuckdee wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: It's not PayPal's fault, they are just comply with federal anti money laundering laws.
Exactly. And if you don't give it to them, at the limits of what they have to report, they'll just freeze your account. Perhaps even before that.
They won't let me transfer from my bank to my account unless I give it, but that seems to be all they have done so far. I can still transfer to my bank from my PP account and I don't keep much money sitting in PP anyways.

abrahamstechnology

23 Aug 2018, 02:03

Then the government better hire a cameraman to follow me at all times to make sure I'm not laundering physical cash, what a joke.

chuckdee

23 Aug 2018, 03:51

abrahamstechnology wrote:
chuckdee wrote:
They won't let me transfer from my bank to my account unless I give it, but that seems to be all they have done so far. I can still transfer to my bank from my PP account and I don't keep much money sitting in PP anyways.
Just remember that it takes a bit to get it verified, so if you're going to get money in yiur account (even for a refund) make sure you take care of it before you need the money.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Aug 2018, 13:57

abrahamstechnology wrote: Then the government better hire a cameraman to follow me at all times to make sure I'm not laundering physical cash, what a joke.
Trust me, the government probably knows far more about you than you'd like to believe. ;)

savantstrike

27 Aug 2018, 03:32

Blaise170 wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: Then the government better hire a cameraman to follow me at all times to make sure I'm not laundering physical cash, what a joke.
Trust me, the government probably knows far more about you than you'd like to believe. ;)
True, but we're probably all a lot more boring than we'd like to believe too.

Privacy through drudgery!

vometia
irritant

28 Aug 2018, 19:08

I agree. It's all very tempting to think "argh, someone is interested in me!" when you see some government address prowling around on your website until you step back for a moment and think, "but I never actually do anything interesting". I mean unless someone wants to criminalise my failed vindaloo recipes. Which may be fair enough.

Return to “Off-topic”