Find: Dell bigfoot black

twasa

01 Oct 2018, 20:09

Although being a bit new around older mechanical keyboards, I at least gather that me finding a Dell bigfoot in the store at work is not the greatest, but it does seem to be in a reasonable state. Quite a handsome black keyboard, which wouldn't look out of place among the rest in the office.

I pulled all the keycaps and cleaned them up tonight and the lighter plate (?) behind them seemed very clean for a keyboard older then 10 years. Just a light bit of dust almost not visible to the naked eye and no keyboard cruft as I was expecting.

I've obviously never attempted something similar, but I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile spending a bit of time to click mod all the black ALPS switches. Although the keys feel good, I'd like a bit more click with the tactility. If that would turn out good, I'd happily use it as my board at work.

Any thoughts on whether that would be feasible for a rookie? Or even desirable?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

01 Oct 2018, 20:50

twasa wrote: Although being a bit new around older mechanical keyboards, I at least gather that me finding a Dell bigfoot in the store at work is not the greatest, but it does seem to be in a reasonable state. Quite a handsome black keyboard, which wouldn't look out of place among the rest in the office.

I pulled all the keycaps and cleaned them up tonight and the lighter plate (?) behind them seemed very clean for a keyboard older then 10 years. Just a light bit of dust almost not visible to the naked eye and no keyboard cruft as I was expecting.

I've obviously never attempted something similar, but I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile spending a bit of time to click mod all the black ALPS switches. Although the keys feel good, I'd like a bit more click with the tactility. If that would turn out good, I'd happily use it as my board at work.

Any thoughts on whether that would be feasible for a rookie? Or even desirable?

If you haven't tried white alps, then click modding it would give you an idea about what clicky alps would be like. Clipping the tabs on the tactile leaves is a pain, but it doesn't take too long - just super tedious. I think it's an upgrade for black alps, but at the same time I think replacing them with white alps would be better (and probably easier) overall. Snacksthecat had some cheap pine whites for sale not long ago!

twasa

01 Oct 2018, 21:16

Thanks //gainsborough, I'll look for snacksthecat's sale. Shipping to South Africa is often the decider, since it can be really expensive. Maybe my best option would be the tedious one.

Return to “Keyboards”