[Advice Needed] Options for ortholinear keyboards

Ralph_IT

04 Dec 2018, 14:21

Sorry if this thread doesn't belong here.

I looked through the wiki and ortholinear keyboards caught my eye, splitted ones specially.
As I visited some of the sellers, I had trouble trying to decide which switches, caps or PCB will fit me better.
So I need some kind advice about some questions:
Which switches are the most quietest? (Mechanical. No matter if linear of tactile by now)
It is difficult to build your own? (No experience at soldering at all)
Are Keycaps so determinant in the typing feeling, or is it a combination of both?

Thanks for your advice.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2018, 14:33

Research a bit on the ErgoDox. It helped popularise Split Ergos, and other projects followed in its wake. See what strikes you.

As for your direct questions:

Damped Cherry silent switches (pale stems) are probably the best bet. They’re very quiet, I’m told, with the plus that MX is a safe place to go for compatibility with PCBs and plates and caps.

Difficult? Not very, but not the simplest thing. Makers may be able to fill you in on the details. A lot of it comes down to getting the right parts. A full kit is best.

I’d say it’s a mixture. Switches ultimately determine feel, but a good case and caps will make a difference too. You’ll always feel the weakest link in the chain.

Ralph_IT

05 Dec 2018, 07:40

Ok. I'll plunge onto ErgoDox more deeply, and see what tickles my fancy.

I think it'll be better to stay away from soldering right now and let the pros do the job. :mrgreen:

So far my choice has narrowed to:
- Ergodox
- Cherry Switches
- Pre-built

Thanks for your advice, Muirium.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Dec 2018, 09:10

You could also use two 8x8 matrix Tipro keypads.
They have Cherry black switches, are freely programmable (including macros, Unicode etc.) on 4 layers.
More questions, just ask :D

Ralph_IT

05 Dec 2018, 13:20

Thanks for the info.
But 2*64 keys are far more than I will need ever. :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Dec 2018, 13:55

Ralph_IT

05 Dec 2018, 14:18

Mmm...Nice one.
Will research a little more on those Tipro keyboards.

Thanks!

madrobby

05 Dec 2018, 14:26

I had a split BFO 9000 with blue Kailh low profile, and I really liked the keyfeel and ergonomic aspect, but I discovered that for my life I can’t type quickly on them, even after a month of using them. Great keyboard otherwise, you can write your firmware etc.

Here is it compared to an Apple wireless keyboard:
C3B97119-19A6-4CBD-93B5-C09755E009C1.jpeg
C3B97119-19A6-4CBD-93B5-C09755E009C1.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3444 times
You can choose how large the sides should be by chopping of rows and columns. This is the largest it can be. Many people choose to build smaller ones!

CeeSA

05 Dec 2018, 15:15

suka made some really lovely boards:
workshop-f7/my-diy-keyboard-collection- ... t2534.html

Ralph_IT

05 Dec 2018, 19:46

madrobby wrote: I had a split BFO 9000 with blue Kailh low profile, and I really liked the keyfeel and ergonomic aspect, but I discovered that for my life I can’t type quickly on them, even after a month of using them. Great keyboard otherwise, you can write your firmware etc.

Here is it compared to an Apple wireless keyboard:
C3B97119-19A6-4CBD-93B5-C09755E009C1.jpeg
You can choose how large the sides should be by chopping of rows and columns. This is the largest it can be. Many people choose to build smaller ones!
Really nice to be able to customize it, but building my own is now out of my skills (and confidence).

CeeSA wrote: suka made some really lovely boards:
workshop-f7/my-diy-keyboard-collection- ... t2534.html
Wow...Amazing work done here :o

I never thought there was so much to choose from ortholinear keyboards.

abrahamstechnology

05 Dec 2018, 22:57

Why not build your own with vintage linear switches?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-White-Keyb ... rk:11:pf:0

Lanrefni

06 Dec 2018, 02:19

BFO-9000 is really easy to assemble,once built the option to have any layout you want is great. This one is mine-

Ralph_IT

07 Dec 2018, 08:37

abrahamstechnology wrote: Why not build your own with vintage linear switches?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-White-Keyb ... rk:11:pf:0
Lanrefni wrote: BFO-9000 is really easy to assemble,once built the option to have any layout you want is great. This one is mine-
Nice options and builds, but I'll stay away from building one myself for now.
My skill for handycrafts is close to zero. :oops:

Though beign programmable are a plus for this kind of keyboards IMHO.

Thanks for the links and pics.

Return to “Keyboards”