Hardware dvorak HHKB.

fossala
Elite +1

17 Jul 2012, 20:01

I somehow managed to get Soarer to mod my HHKB Type-S for me with hasu's code. Anyway, with around a weeks turnaround I now have a hhkb with hardware dvorak, mousekeys, embedded numpad and a couple of extra media keys.
Need to find a way to make my teensy secure in the casing as at the moment I wouldn't be able to take it anywhere with me as it is just loose.
If anybody wants pictures I will take it apart and take some.
Thanks Soarer and Hasu!

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jul 2012, 20:24

Interesting mod, show us the goods!

megnin

17 Jul 2012, 20:32

An HHKB with embedded numpad... that's almost the perfect keyboard.

If I could get mine modded into a dual Bluetooth/corded with embedded numpad I'd carry it with me everywhere I went.

GeorgeStorm

17 Jul 2012, 20:34

Also interested in seeing what it looks like :)

fossala
Elite +1

17 Jul 2012, 20:43

Here is the picture of the controller, the controller connected to the pcb and a picture of the original controller.
What is awesome is that he got a connector so I can just swap over the controllers when ever I want.

If anyone wants any more pictures in anymore detail of a certain area, just say so.

Soarer

17 Jul 2012, 21:07

HHKB_Teensy.jpg
HHKB_Teensy.jpg (166.4 KiB) Viewed 17177 times

fossala
Elite +1

17 Jul 2012, 21:09

Much better picture, thanks Soarer.

JBert

17 Jul 2012, 21:32

Colourful too - great job!

I guess I might also need to invest in heat-shrink tubing, that seems to keep the thing nice and clean compared to the tape I tend to use.

Soarer

17 Jul 2012, 21:44

Yes, you should! Tape works ok for insulating, but it doesn't add strength like heat-shrink does :)

It is an investment though - I keep about 5 sizes, most in adhesive version as well. And a heat gun :evilgeek:

fruktstund

17 Jul 2012, 22:46

Wow, this is an awesome mod. Looks nice to the eye too!
A hardware programmable HHKB might just be the closest you can get to a perfect keyboard. :)

Would you (Soarer and Hasu) mind sharing some more information on this, in forms of wiring and code and such, so people could do this themselves? I'm quite interested myself, and I'm sure other people also are.
I'd understand if you don't want to release the information, though, as it's probably a lot of work. ;)

fossala
Elite +1

17 Jul 2012, 22:48

The code is here https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard
That will work with an teensy++. I/Soarer used a teensy so some changes had to be made. The code has been around for quite a while.

And yes, it is awesome!

Soarer

17 Jul 2012, 23:19

The only code changes needed to make it work on the non++ Teensy were in hhkb/matrix.c, to use PF0 and PF1 instead of PE6 and PE7. And of course changing the MCU definition in hhkb/Makefile.pjrc to atmega32u4. Any pins could be used, but those worked out nicely for the wiring...
teensy_pinout_hhkb_pro2.png
teensy_pinout_hhkb_pro2.png (153.67 KiB) Viewed 17117 times

fruktstund

17 Jul 2012, 23:58

Oh, brilliant! Thank you.

Now I'll just need to get myself a new Teensy. Or I'll just use my good old Teensy++, if it isn't broken.

And by the way, what's that 13-pin cable connector called? Or is it even called anything? Sorry for my lack of terminology knowledge. :)

Soarer

18 Jul 2012, 00:21

It's called nothing more particular than a 'header' :lol: Luckily, there was only one 13-way header with 1.5mm pin spacing at Farnell, and it was the right one... http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/produc ... ku=1830906. I have a few spare, if you can't find one.

Teensy fits better than Teensy++, since it's short enough to fit without a 90-degree adapter. I hope fossala will post a picture once he's finished securing it, but we think it can be stuck to the base so that its connector sits in the original USB connector position.

fruktstund

18 Jul 2012, 00:52

Ah, that's also a header, I see... I guess I got confused by its white colour and all the happy cable colours. :D And now I not only know it's a header, I also know which header to look for! I think I could find those somewhere in town, otherwise I'll contact you!

Then I'll go with a regular Teensy I think. I'd planned to order one in the near future for the Phantom anyway, so I'll just order two. Or more! I guess you can't have too many Teensies lying around. ;)

justcallmecrash

18 Jul 2012, 04:15

Is it feasible to do this to a Poker? I love mine, and use it to travel, but I troubleshoot for people in the office and I look like I don't know wtf I'm doing when I have to hunt and peck on their QWERTY layout. It would be great to take my Poker in, plug it up and just get my shit done and get out instead of sweating while they watch me struggle with that horrible layout.
I'm sure there are folks on here that would like Colemak, too, but I'm just interested in Dvorak.
Great mod!

hasu

18 Jul 2012, 06:07

fossala and Soarer,
Great collaboration! Wiring is good looking and skillful.
I found both of you guys is from UK, it is good for work together without time differences and language barrier :)

For someone who is interested in this mod:
You will be able to use JST 15pins PH series(2.0mm pitch) on HKKB pro.
http://www.leocom.jp/ja/search/GooglePa ... nu=unified

You will be able to use JST 13pins ZH series(1.5mm pitch) on HKKB pro2 as Soarere said above.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... 7701786487

And you can find here for some detail of my mod(old copy on archive.org):
http://web.archive.org/web/201012260346 ... land:12047
and
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tre ... board/hhkb
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tre ... c/HHKB.txt

dirge

18 Jul 2012, 09:04

Awesome work guys! Inspiring! Well done :)

fossala
Elite +1

18 Jul 2012, 15:45

hasu wrote:fossala and Soarer,
I found both of you guys is from UK, it is good for work together without time differences and language barrier :)
The only effort from my end was providing the hardware and edit some of the keymaps. Soarer has full credit for everything.

Sunspots

18 Jul 2012, 17:01

justcallmecrash wrote:Is it feasible to do this to a Poker? I love mine, and use it to travel, but I troubleshoot for people in the office and I look like I don't know wtf I'm doing when I have to hunt and peck on their QWERTY layout. It would be great to take my Poker in, plug it up and just get my shit done and get out instead of sweating while they watch me struggle with that horrible layout.
I'm sure there are folks on here that would like Colemak, too, but I'm just interested in Dvorak.
Great mod!
Definitely interested Colemak user here!

dfxdx

18 Jul 2012, 17:42

fossala wrote:
hasu wrote:fossala and Soarer,
The only effort from my end was providing the hardware and edit some of the keymaps. Soarer has full credit for everything.
Where did you order the Teensy from? Would be good if you could recommend a UK supplier or did you have to ship from the US? I'm going to give this mod a try - numpad would be nice but the killer features for me would be Vim nav keys and mousekeys (using Vim nav?). Should I get the normal Teensy or the ++ version?

fossala
Elite +1

18 Jul 2012, 17:52

I got it shipped from them in the US. Shipping was only $6.
As you can mod the keymap as you wish you could use vim navigation as you main type. I added back, forward and playpause above the volume keys.

fossala
Elite +1

19 Jul 2012, 01:07

OK, changed the code a little bit and is perfect now. Just need a way to secure the teensy inside the case. Any ideas guys?
Also I have 2 holes where the USB ports used to be from the original controller, anyway to cover it up?

hasu

19 Jul 2012, 01:13

Thick double sided tape works well for me. It doesn't need to give any damage your case.
And you can find a cap for USB receptacle anywhere like this:
http://www.technoveins.co.jp/images/pro ... lck-b0.jpg

fossala
Elite +1

19 Jul 2012, 08:39

hasu wrote:Thick double sided tape works well for me. It doesn't need to give any damage your case.
And you can find a cap for USB receptacle anywhere like this:
http://www.technoveins.co.jp/images/pro ... lck-b0.jpg
Thanks, didn't know about them caps, now just to find a matching white.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Jul 2012, 09:43

Just to let people know. If you hold both shifts and try to type "the quick brown fox....." the controller seems to crash and I have to unplug it then put it back in.

dox

24 Jul 2012, 18:18

fossala wrote:Just to let people know. If you hold both shifts and try to type "the quick brown fox....." the controller seems to crash and I have to unplug it then put it back in.
That is because when you hold both shift, hasu's firmware does some special commands depending on the third key.
Both shift + B = Jump to bootloader. That may be what is happening.

edit:
double shift commands:
b: jump to bootloader
d: toggle debug enable
x: toggle matrix debug
k: toggle keyboard debug
m: toggle mouse debug
p: toggle print enable
v: print version
t: print timer count
s: print status
Last edited by dox on 24 Jul 2012, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Jul 2012, 18:19

What does jump to bootloader do?

dox

24 Jul 2012, 18:21

It's like if you press the reset button on the teensy.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Jul 2012, 18:22

Sweet didn't know that.
Just checked, that was it.

EDIT: Where did you find that, in the source? If so what file. Thanks.

Return to “Workshop”