Decision Data 8010 review (Honeywell dual-magnet Hall effect)

Chyros

13 Oct 2018, 15:11

Today we look at my oldest keyboard so far, a 1975 Decision Data 8010 keyboard, and finally get to see Honeywell dual-magnet switches in action :) . Hope you enjoy the video!

Sangdrax

13 Oct 2018, 22:21

Really cool to see a review of this one. I love the switches and the sound. And that punch/programmer style where the back of the board looks like the top panel on a washing machine.

I've seen them on ebay for a good while, but it's the 60% layout that keeps me away. I'm a big boy and I need a big keyboard. 75% is about as low as I can go.

Engicoder

14 Oct 2018, 15:01

Nice review. This is definitely an classic and a good comparison of the SD and SW switches. In my opinion, the feel of the SW switches is much nicer than the SD in general and for used boards the ability to clean them is huge. I was lucky enough to fine a NOS SW unit and they are some of the smoothest switches I have tried.

abrahamstechnology

14 Oct 2018, 15:59

Has anyone successfully converted one of these?

Slom

14 Oct 2018, 17:02

abrahamstechnology wrote: Has anyone successfully converted one of these?
(I think) we now how to do it, but I know of nobody who has done it yet.

zslane

14 Oct 2018, 19:36

I just love the deep (bottom out) sound you get from keyboards like that. That sound was what I was hoping to achieve when I first ventured into mech keyboards three years ago and began the quest to put together a modern linear mech board for myself. Little did I realize at the time that sound like that only comes from massive old school double-shot keycaps mounted on massive old school switches installed in massively heavy consoles made of really thick plastic and lots of metal inside.
Last edited by zslane on 15 Oct 2018, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Menuhin

14 Oct 2018, 21:03

There's a gorgeous nerdy Oma at 1:11

Return to “Reviews”