Search found 2203 matches

by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 17:11
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Well, when they start out with "I am not a hard-right conservative but an anarchist who just happens to agree exactly with hard-right conservatives", they fail - and the rest of the article is full of the same fail. I am what most folks would think of as a hard-right conservative, though I don't co...
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 15:30
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

an_achronism wrote:
30 May 2021, 15:25
esr wrote:
30 May 2021, 03:53
I don't know how old you are. If this doesn't make sense to you now, maybe it will in ten years. Or twenty.
Old enough to call you on being a condescending sack of shit.
I think this thread is full of young condescending sacks of shit, too.
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 14:58
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… I still think it’s stupid. I still can’t understand how anyone in their right mind would expect even the most casual hobbyist to follow such stringent rules exactly to the letter. It’s an entirely unnecessary hindrance to the creative process. Well, there IS a lower-side limit to what deserves co...
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 14:51
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

And yet his software is forever stuck in limbo precisely because he didn't include a simple open source licence text. Legal ambiguity is only one of the issues blocking further development. It's feature complete (except for some obscure protocol support, what is actually missing?) It hasn't been ac...
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 14:44
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

And yet his software is forever stuck in limbo precisely because he didn't include a simple open source licence text. He clearly choose to not open the source of his converter at that point in time. That was not an accident but a choice he made. This point has been already discussed and settled. In...
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 14:41
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… For all this telling esr he should see things from your point of view (“your” is plural here), also try looking at it in reverse. What this thread also reads like is a bunch of squealing ****s trying to man up by screeching and jumping. That’s why it’s such a shitshow. I don't think several of th...
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 14:37
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

lis0r wrote:
30 May 2021, 08:26
esr wrote:
29 May 2021, 23:21
You misunderstand. It's completely OK with me that you don't know who you're talking to.
We know exactly who you are. We can read about your shining exploits on rationalwiki and the ncurses website. We just think you're a wasteman.
Speak for yourself, silly.
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 05:25
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

When I started at my current job (software engineer), one of the classes during orientation was on open source contributions, IP law, and general legal stuff. I found most of it to be non-intuitive and non-obvious. [...] When I was the source code auditor at the Green Mud Bank, I had the feeling th...
by depletedvespene
30 May 2021, 00:06
Forum: Keyboards
Topic: Dick Harris question/answer thread
Replies: 58
Views: 5077

Re: Dick Harris question/answer thread

Welcome! I have plenty of questions, so I'll start with just a few: - Most beamspring keyboards have latching keys (for Caps Lock or Shift Lock), whereas buckling spring keyboards never have. Had they been fully phased out by the time the buckling springs have come about? If they hadn't been so, wer...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 21:43
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

jmaynard wrote:
29 May 2021, 21:30

Objection, your honor. Assumes facts not in evidence: that she can actually make arguments with words, not just emoutions.
I'm gonna go to Hell for this, but I gotta ask: is an "emoution" a British emotion? :mrgreen:
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 21:17
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

basically, like all the boomers on this forum, you open your mouth and a bunch of uninformed word salad and opinion presented as fact flies out A criciticism to your work managed to get to you, and now you are demanding arguments to be made in support of your position. So... "Someone I don't like m...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 21:03
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

shallot wrote:
29 May 2021, 21:01
just because you think i'm a retard (which you're very welcome to), doesn't give you an excuse to put motivations in my mouth.
I am not. You've already declared as much, earlier in the thread. Also, kudos to you for at least acknowledging that you are the worst participant in the thread.
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 20:51
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Weezer wrote:
29 May 2021, 20:38
God this thread has turned into such steaming garbage. Does this all matter that much?
That's what pisses me off the most — most of those retards don't actually care about the subject matter (and the worst one actually has a vested interest in seeing Soarer's Converters be abandoned).
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 20:28
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

…Collectively characterising a forum as a naughty child for not licensing a decade old blob of keyboard converter code in the way you'd like it to be licensed is just wackybrained. If you don't like it, do better, but do it by actually doing some work, not whatever this shit show is. You may want t...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 20:23
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… You are a complete newbie here, and have no clue of the social structure of this place. Otherwise you would have known that trying to control what people are allowed to say in this topic was asking for disaster. Back in my day , whenever a noob on DT made a gaffe, people would explain to him what...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 19:48
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Also, I think you have a serious misunderstanding of what the word hacker means. Oh, that is impossibly funny. Would someone like explain things to this guy? I mean, I could do it, but it will be more amusing (and probably more effective) if somebody else wields the cluebat. Oh, I was waiting for Y...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 19:12
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… Just because you coded some useful stuff a while ago doesn't mean you aren't one of the most Redditor, high horse, self centered pricks I've ever seen in this community. Do yourself a favor and leave deskthority. Anybody that cares about this community certainly doesn't want you here. Also, I thi...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 18:57
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

darkcruix wrote:
29 May 2021, 18:17

Code: Select all

0x539
0x538, you monstruously monstrous monster. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 18:57
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

I've been very stern in making it clear that we can't make assumptions regarding Soarer's state (and mindset), so I'll have to make a point here: we don't know if he "did" or "did not" follow all good practices — regarding sofware development, the code running in Soarer's converter is pretty much a...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 18:00
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… Soarer could have been one of us if he had clued in enough to follow our practices and disciplines. But he didn't, which is exactly there's a mess to clean up here. I've been very stern in making it clear that we can't make assumptions regarding Soarer's state (and mindset), so I'll have to make ...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 17:07
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Damn. DT was supposed to be better than this shitshow. It usually is. :roll: The weird thing is that this doesn’t happen to every thread. You know Godwin’s Law: it’s a statement of probability. Strange how even far, far longer running threads than this one can stay fairly civil for years at a time....
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 16:41
Forum: Off-topic
Topic: Whatever happened to ________?
Replies: 79
Views: 33187

Re: Whatever happened to ________?

…Doesn't matter that 5yrs from now these investments we're making will show a return- I need to show profit NOW... The sempiternal problem of "now" vs. "future" applies to oh so many areas. I can't count the amount of times I got into arguments at the Green Mud Bank because I was the only one aware...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 16:38
Forum: Off-topic
Topic: Whatever happened to ________?
Replies: 79
Views: 33187

Re: Whatever happened to ________?

Muirium wrote:
29 May 2021, 15:56
Sadly, you're more or less right. I'm much happier to be *not* American these days than I was when growing up. You guys have real problems, and the biggest one is even getting started on dealing with them.
Yet that is NOWHERE as bad as things are going in my country. :( :( :(
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 16:30
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… This triggers a rant I can no longer refrain from issuing... DT people have what by my standards is a very weird culture. Anonymous developers? Shipping hex blobs with no licenses? That's... bizarre. In the hacker culture I come from, we assume that disclosed source code is the only thing that ca...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 16:13
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Indeed. Let me add a few requests for Soarer 2.0: NeXT protocol support ADB protocol support SUN protocol support See the pattern? We need active open source development for this It's not multiple projects It's one product! Man, having one multi-port, intelligently programmable classic protocol con...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 16:01
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

I'm just not worried about such improbable possibilities. I eat cold cuts and drive a car, and those things kill people every day, the risk of a troll suit being filed against anonymous computer people who don't even sell it is hilariously small. "Don't bother with the risk! Don't bother with the r...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 15:59
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

So uh... where would the uncompiled source come from? Soarer never posted it and the files are likely irrecoverable. Even if the code is opened up development is reliant on reverse engineered crap. Which we already have, and no one really seems to eager to work on it. I don't think we're likely to ...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 15:50
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Rayndalf wrote:
29 May 2021, 12:48
Just fucking do it. Don't wait for permission you don't need. If no one is developing it then it's for any reason other than "it's illegal"
Some people like to respect the law. Imagine the nerve!
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 15:47
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

… I don't think this needs to be a legal thing. Soarer's hasn't been developed further not because of legal baggage (no one cares, he made the compiled version free, why would he be otherwise protective of it after developement ceased?) but because in practical terms the new functionality people wa...
by depletedvespene
29 May 2021, 15:36
Forum: Workshop
Topic: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread
Replies: 620
Views: 17623

Re: Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

shallot wrote:
29 May 2021, 09:49
nothing about this thread brings me pleasure. if this forum had active mods it would be long gone.
You are CLEARLY deriving pleasure of giving free rein to your abusive manners. Don't add "continuous lying" to the list of defects you have unequivocally shown in this shitshow of a thread.

Go to advanced search