Khers' collection

Khers

22 Apr 2016, 22:19

Redmaus wrote: Oh wow really nice update!

I like the blue alps pictures and the SSK's! I don't have NIB though... :(

I will be fine with my blue label however :)
Thanks!

I've never had a blue label IBM :shock:, but even though cost saving measures were supposedly taken, I can't think they would influence too much. Otoh, my best model M is my square label :ugeek:
seebart wrote: Nice thanks, the Alps Party is cool.
Soon it'll have a case as well ;) (the lack of a case doesn't hinder me from currently using it tough...)

Khers

14 May 2016, 19:46

Updated a bit again. Mostly text this time, inspired by µ's post here.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2016, 12:27

Good stuff.

Lazy and confused future me endorses these threads, and wants to be able to find them easily from people's profiles. Because memorizing even my own keyboards is quite a challenge, let alone other folk's! Yet there'll be something I vaguely remember and want to see…

Khers

16 May 2016, 14:16

That's not a bad idea. FWIW I've now got a link to this thread in my "signature". (I prefer DT's implementation to GH's. By far.)

Khers

18 Jul 2016, 14:52

Updated a little again. Three new boards in (Alps 60, Cherry 60 and Commodore) and two old boards out. In other words, despite my best efforts the collection is growing :shock:.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Jul 2016, 15:00

Nice update Khers, I think you're doing a pretty good job of keeping your collection focused. Keyboards come, keyboards go. ;) I might do a group shot of my IBM stuff sometime soon since my IBM section has expanded recently.

wiki/Seebart

Khers

18 Jul 2016, 15:41

Thanks seebart! In comparison to yours, my collection isn't much. I'm pretty happy with it though :). You've got some amazing boards though! :shock: The IBM 66-key Micro Switch is a particular favorite of mine :)

seebart

18 Jul 2016, 16:32

Khers wrote: Thanks seebart! In comparison to yours, my collection isn't much. I'm pretty happy with it though :). You've got some amazing boards though! :shock: The IBM 66-key Micro Switch is a particular favorite of mine :)
I'll try to do some group photo's soon, it does involve some work setting up the shot. I'm sure you saw snuci's IBM 3277, it's the same as mine, I added it to our wiki recently:

wiki/IBM_3277_typewriter_keyboard

t!ng
Awake Sheep

18 Jul 2016, 16:34

Khers, how come your K1 has only 3 keys on the right space bar side?

Stabilized

18 Jul 2016, 16:45

t!ng wrote: Khers, how come your K1 has only 3 keys on the right space bar side?
Are you using the right switch as a stabiliser for the 7u spacebar?

Khers

18 Jul 2016, 17:04

Stabilized is correct. I don't have any 6u spacebars on hand so I used a 7u spacebar on two switches instead :). Works fine as I always hit space with my right thumb. With some light springs in the switches it's not even that heavy :D

Khers

15 Aug 2016, 13:03

Small update: the winkeyless 60% has received a case transplant and some caps from HADapter and HADditionals.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

15 Aug 2016, 13:08

Fancy! Is that your daily keyboard now?

Khers

15 Aug 2016, 13:15

From time to time (now, as a matter of fact). I still prefer the HHKB though, so it's the more heavily featured keyboard in front of my computer. But, this thing is sweet!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

15 Aug 2016, 13:57

The 60% looks damn nice , the case upgrade and the HHKB layout make it a mighty fine keyboard:D That makes me think I have to build a new one :)

Khers

15 Aug 2016, 13:58

You always have to build a new keyboard, don't you!?

Having said that, so do I :oops:

Khers

30 Oct 2016, 14:50

E: I goofed and pressed the wrong button when editing the first post...
Last edited by Khers on 30 Oct 2016, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Hypersphere

30 Oct 2016, 15:13

@Khers: Your keyboard preferences mirror mine quite closely, with a couple of differences:

+ Although I thought I had settled on 60% as my favorite form factor and that I would never return to TKL or full-size, recently I have become obsessed with Alps switches, and I like them so much I have reverted to full-size keyboards. I anticipate, however, that this will change after I find the time and materials to build my own 60% Alps board (with a HHKB layout).

+ Linear switches: Until very recently, I had written off linear switches. However, I discovered that I like Gateron Yellow, as well as Yellow Alps and Green Alps. I favor any of these over Cherry mx Red or Black -- Red is too light, Black is too heavy, and both are too scratchy. Vintage mx Black is less scratchy, but still a bit too heavy.

Right now, I am typing on a Northgate Omnikey 101 with cleaned and lubed white Alps. Very nice, but the full-size form factor is too wide.

The board I always return to is my HHKB. However, I have an Ellipse Kishsaver with HHKB layout on order; if this lives up to expectations, it might displace my current favorite.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 30 Oct 2016, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

30 Oct 2016, 19:31

Yeah, I also always return to my trusty HHKB. These days I barely use anything larger than 60, but I do have a weakness for the 1800-layout. A 60 vintage Alps-switch keyboard is highly recommended, and has never been easier with the availability of hasu's TMK64 Alps PCBs.

I've never tried yellow Gaterons, but I've seen a lot of good things written about them. The only Gaterons I've ever tried were some milky (so early gen) blacks, which didn't really impress me. "Made in West Germany" vintage blacks is where it's at for me, with a spring swap to increase compatibility with my girly hands :)

E3E

30 Oct 2016, 23:08

I think I'm one of the few that really enjoys using vintage full-sized boards. I'm loving my IBM 5576-002, and my NCR Cherry-lookalike-but-really-Alps board is one of my favorites.

Originally, I was resolved to only buy 75% keyboards since my first custom was a 75%, the Duck Octagon.

After a while, I tried a 60% with my Infinity and then my 60% Alps Eagle builds with nice aluminum cases.

Then finally I decided to buy a TKL even though I vowed never to own one since I felt they were impractical compared to 75% and such, but then I fell in love with my Alps Orion.

With these unforeseen jumps into other layouts, I guess I could say I could probably get into any layout. I like adapting to all the different varieties I've tried.

My favorite switches are definitely in the Alps spectrum.

My favorite clickies being Alps Plate Spring and Alps SKCM Blue.

My favorite linears are Alps SKCL Brown and Alps SKCL Striped Amber, but I also really like Alps SKCL Green as well as vintage Cherry MX Black.

My favorite tactiles are Alps SKCM Green, Alps SKCM Brown, Alps SKCM Orange, and Alps SKCM Cream, and probably Topre as well, but I've only tried 45g (silenced realforce).

Overall, my least favorite switch type is tactile and my most favorite is linear, and I typically have no interest in clicky varieties with only some exceptions.

There's your E3E stats for the day, haha. Speaking of my collection: I need to learn to let some of my extra keyboards go. Always such a hard thing for me. I have more than three of the same kind of certain keyboards I own, but I still find it hard to sell the extras.

Khers

31 Oct 2016, 16:06

Wow, you're quite an Alps man, E3E, I've not even seen most of the switches you mention in real life. Come to think of it, I've not even tried an actual SKCL switch, only linearized SKCMs. In fact the only Alps switches I've tried are SKCM Blue, White, Cream and Salmon. I liked the first one a lot, and whites are alright if they are old enough, but I didn't really fancy the tactile ones. The Creams got way better when I linearlized them by removing the tactile leaf.

I agree with you on finding the tactile ones the least inspiring though. For tactility, in my opinion, and based on my very small sample set, Topre has Alps solidly beaten (and every other tactile switch I've tried as well). 45g is the sweet spot for Topre if you ask me. I don't quite understand the 55g hype that's ongoing since a couple of years back – sure the 55s are less common (if still more common than a lot of other things in the keyboard world, which may explain the forte with which they are hyped), which may provide you with more bragging rights but in my opinion that is about it (erm, "Striped Ambers" seem to fit well into that picture). I, personally, see very little benefit from hunting something down for exclusivity alone and would rather have whatever I need to search long and hard for to add some tangible improvement on what I already got. That last part sort of explains why, after quite a short while, I got out of the Alps vortex. There are too many different varieties out there for me to stay interested (this may be completely contrary to most people), and from comments it seems that a less common switch is always better, which, of course, is highly improbable (if it was, it would be more wide spread among keyboards from the same era, which it obviously isn't as it's the less common switch), but very few people have them, so very few can contradict the statements and they have little benefit from it as it would decrease the value of their collections. All in all, I got a little sick of the Alps stuff.

With regards to your statements about your collection, they make mine seem small and well kept :D though perhaps not as focused. I do understand the difficulties with selling stuff, as can be seen by the rather small subset filed under no longer in my possession. Selling stuff does leave room for new acquisitions, however, at least if you, as in my case, have a certain designated storage area and your wife gets angry when it's overflowing. ;)

Hypersphere

31 Oct 2016, 17:07

@Khers: I tend to agree about 55 g Topre, although it depends somewhat on the board. Some time ago, I installed 55 g domes in a HHKB. I liked it at first, but then I went back to 45 g as my favorite Topre weight in a HHKB. The 55 g domes seem better suited to the RF87U, but even so, I favor the special EK edition RF87UB45 by a narrow margin.

As for tactile Alps, SKCM browns have a very pronounced tactility, but these switches feel too heavy for long typing sessions, at least in a 60% with a steel plate. If an Alps switch is tactile, I prefer it clicky as well, so I like blue and white Alps as well as Matias Click switches.

Linear switches still leave me a bit cold, but if I had to use linears they would be green, yellow, or undamped cream Alps and possibly yellow Gaterons.

Damped Alps feel too mushy to me with one exception -- I like to put a Matias Quiet slider into the Spacebar switch and make it clicky with a click leaf from a blue or white Alps or a Matias Click, depending on what switches are in the main typing area. I've tried making hemi-damped switches by clipping the bottom dampers on Matias Quiet switches, but I didn't like the result.

seebart

31 Oct 2016, 17:44

Khers wrote: I, personally, see very little benefit from hunting something down for exclusivity alone and would rather have whatever I need to search long and hard for to add some tangible improvement on what I already got. That last part sort of explains why, after quite a short while, I got out of the Alps vortex. There are too many different varieties out there for me to stay interested (this may be completely contrary to most people), and from comments it seems that a less common switch is always better, which, of course, is highly improbable (if it was, it would be more wide spread among keyboards from the same era, which it obviously isn't as it's the less common switch), but very few people have them, so very few can contradict the statements and they have little benefit from it as it would decrease the value of their collections.
Best comment here in a long time. Few of you may or may not have noticed that I'm spending less time at DT recently, what you formulate so well Khers is part of the reason for my "disconnect". I got the keyboards that I set out to own plus some rare stuff that I got lucky with and that's it. I'm fine. No more hunt for the unobtainium. I'll still be around DT, I got enough projects lined up for the next 15-30 Months and the wiki is always there.

wiki/Seebart
Last edited by seebart on 31 Oct 2016, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Laser
emacs -nw

31 Oct 2016, 17:49

You know, the next thing will happen is somebody will find an acronym for "unobtainium" (Ub?), and then will organize a groupbuy for GMK ESC keycaps with that very legend, at huge prices:D

seebart

31 Oct 2016, 17:50

Laser wrote: You know, the next thing will happen is somebody will find an acronym for "unobtainium" (Ub?), and then will organize a groupbuy for GMK ESC keycaps with that very legend, at huge prices:D
But those better be damn nice keycaps! :lol: :maverick:

Laser
emacs -nw

31 Oct 2016, 17:52

Heh :)

E3E

31 Oct 2016, 18:36

Khers wrote: Wow, you're quite an Alps man, E3E, I've not even seen most of the switches you mention in real life. Come to think of it, I've not even tried an actual SKCL switch, only linearized SKCMs. In fact the only Alps switches I've tried are SKCM Blue, White, Cream and Salmon. I liked the first one a lot, and whites are alright if they are old enough, but I didn't really fancy the tactile ones. The Creams got way better when I linearlized them by removing the tactile leaf.

I agree with you on finding the tactile ones the least inspiring though. For tactility, in my opinion, and based on my very small sample set, Topre has Alps solidly beaten (and every other tactile switch I've tried as well). 45g is the sweet spot for Topre if you ask me. I don't quite understand the 55g hype that's ongoing since a couple of years back – sure the 55s are less common (if still more common than a lot of other things in the keyboard world, which may explain the forte with which they are hyped), which may provide you with more bragging rights but in my opinion that is about it (erm, "Striped Ambers" seem to fit well into that picture). I, personally, see very little benefit from hunting something down for exclusivity alone and would rather have whatever I need to search long and hard for to add some tangible improvement on what I already got. That last part sort of explains why, after quite a short while, I got out of the Alps vortex. There are too many different varieties out there for me to stay interested (this may be completely contrary to most people), and from comments it seems that a less common switch is always better, which, of course, is highly improbable (if it was, it would be more wide spread among keyboards from the same era, which it obviously isn't as it's the less common switch), but very few people have them, so very few can contradict the statements and they have little benefit from it as it would decrease the value of their collections. All in all, I got a little sick of the Alps stuff.

With regards to your statements about your collection, they make mine seem small and well kept :D though perhaps not as focused. I do understand the difficulties with selling stuff, as can be seen by the rather small subset filed under no longer in my possession. Selling stuff does leave room for new acquisitions, however, at least if you, as in my case, have a certain designated storage area and your wife gets angry when it's overflowing. ;)
I turned to the Alps vortex half out of being too broke to let myself get obsessed with Cherry MX and the plethora of BUY THIS NOW (alternatively: sellmeyourkidneynow) plastered everywhere in relation to that switch variety. I think I jumped onto the Alps train around a year before they started becoming hyped up, driven by videos I had seen of the Kingsaver and falling in love with that sound and the different, exotic look of Alps switches compared to Cherry MX. The rectangular, wide look with its kissy lips sliders just get me. :lol:

I think mention of "exceptional smoothness" also intrigued me as well.

I started with a blue alps NTC 6151N, then an M0115 AEK with SKCM Orange and then the rest was history, I guess. :D

The unobtainium factor is a strong one, and I honestly think, like the placebo effect of someone being told they're drinking an expensive wine, knowing something is rare kind of wows the senses into exaggerating the quality of such unobtanium. Certainly, there are instances where something that is difficult to find is also quite nice, but I feel that it's mainly hype from the small minority, of which I admit to be part of at times.

Alps SKCM Limey Neon Lite Brite Green is truly my favorite Alps switch aesthetically, especially the pine variant with its vivid emerald color, but is it leaps and bounds above all others in terms of feel or quality? No, not really.

They feel amazing to -me- typing on them because of that mystique around them and the wow factor of rarity, but being objective, the pine variant is very similar to SKCM Brown, if not a little lighter, both pine and bamboo aren't as smooth, and the drag across the unique tactile leaf often makes a squeaky sound. So you could say that it replicates Topre well, flatulence and all. :o

SKCM Striped Ambers? They are pretty nice, they have a cushiony feel to them, but if you were so inclined, you could take click leaves out of SKCM Blues and you'd have the same thing.

And of course, SKCL Green and Yellow are both fine switches in their own right.

I think personal preference and subjectivity can be dangerous in accidentally sparking a runaway hypetrain. I mean, I still don't really enjoy Topre all that much even though it's built up to death, its premium no doubt helping to keep that perspective around it.

I LIKE Topre, but I don't love it. I sold my variable RF104 within a day of trying it. Every time I pull out my lubed Realforce 104UB-DK45S, which is factory-silenced, I find myself wanting to go back to Alps SKCM/SKCL or Alps Plate Spring in a short period of time. The only thing that impresses me is how quiet it is relative to other keyboards that use sliders that smack plastic on the upstroke. Aesthetically, I really enjoy its look and the build quality is great compared to other modern OEMs. The Ducky Realforce with its stark white caps and nice navy bluish grey case give me some monochrome nostalgia vibes that I really like.

Topre still very much intrigues me, but I would be hesitant to spend a lot on that switch/keyboard type.

I'm wanting to cool it myself with Alps. There are a few more boards I could fill my collection with, but even then, I feel less of a desire to seek them out as I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. I've got good amounts of either loose switches of every type (for my hot swap modded Alps customs) or vintage boards with various Alps varieties.

What I find myself wanting at the moment are some of the harder to find and more obscure Alps key caps like hi profile sphericals, mainly for aesthetics, but I think my MUST HAVE NOW days have cooled off substantially.

That's possibly why I'm a bit hesitant to even sell keyboards I have doubles or more of, because most of the time I have found them in lots, and well, I feel like I might ruin the balance of satisfaction if I sell them.

Good point though, Khers. It's always good to sell if it's going toward other buys. Having copies versus something new--it's always better to have something new! At least as long as it's equally exciting. :P

Yeah, my collection is VERY Alps-focused to the point where I would probably sound clumsy talking about other keyboards of the vintage era. :lol:

One last note I wanted to add: I think the rarity placebo also factors in inversely to some. For instance, I've always wanted to use dampened Alps sliders in, say, SKCM Brown, and SKCM Green, as I feel that it makes them quite Topre-like with the rubber dampeners.

However, I always back out of doing it because they're so common and unliked by most. See, that's a terrible mindset to have, haha. I'm making social castes out of my Alps switches. :cry:
Last edited by E3E on 31 Oct 2016, 18:39, edited 2 times in total.

E3E

31 Oct 2016, 18:37

Double-post to say, dear god. I wrote a lot. Typing on this IBM 5576-002 must be that nice for me to ramble that much. :P

tigpha

31 Oct 2016, 19:54

seebart wrote: Few of you may or may not have noticed that I'm spending less time at DT recently, what you formulate so well Khers is part of the reason for my "disconnect". I got the keyboards that I set out to own plus some rare stuff that I got lucky with and that's it. I'm fine.
I have to empathise with Seebart, I'm a relatively quiet spectator of DT now, not seeking "perfection" anymore since I got my favourite IBM Model Fs, which to my taste is a fabulous sensation to type on. However, when a rough gem popped up on ebay unnoticed, I could not resist.
HP2621-keyboard-front.jpeg
HP2621-keyboard-front.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 4850 times
It needs some, ahem, debugging:
HP2621-keyboard-bugs.jpeg
HP2621-keyboard-bugs.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 4850 times
Eeww! :-(

E3E

31 Oct 2016, 22:05

Ewww, that's creepy. That place was a home and graveyard for many of those little guys. Yuuuck. :P

Return to “Gallery”