-

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Feb 2017, 15:32

-
Last edited by seebart on 01 Mar 2017, 22:42, edited 3 times in total.

alh84001
v.001

21 Feb 2017, 15:41

Cue wang jokes.

seebart

21 Feb 2017, 15:47

alh84001 wrote: Cue wang jokes.
Oh of course the WANG jokes...I don't think we have a lack of those! :P I got two WANGS BTW! :lol:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Feb 2017, 18:09

Here's my question: what makes your reviews so great that I should even participate in this poll?

seebart

21 Feb 2017, 18:45

vivalarevolución wrote: Here's my question: what makes your reviews so great that I should even participate in this poll?
Nothing. ;)

This poll will run for one week.

just_add_coffee

21 Feb 2017, 19:00

I know that some of the boards listed are pretty good. And even though Google isn't remotely helpful with "Kienzle 9003," I'm hopeful of that "Foam & Foil" can be equal parts informative and hilarious. I enjoy learning things and I enjoy trainwrecks. There's no way that "Foam & Foil" can be good, right?

(Now that I've said that, "Foam & Foil" will be the next BIG THING in keyboards)

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Feb 2017, 19:10

seebart wrote: I got two WANGS BTW! :lol:

seebart

21 Feb 2017, 19:11

just_add_coffee wrote: I know that some of the boards listed are pretty good. And even though Google isn't remotely helpful with "Kienzle 9003," I'm hopeful of that "Foam & Foil" can be equal parts informative and hilarious. I enjoy learning things and I enjoy trainwrecks. There's no way that "Foam & Foil" can be good, right?

(Now that I've said that, "Foam & Foil" will be the next BIG THING in keyboards)
Yes, Key Tronic Foam & Foil is antient and pretty loathed around here but it has it's place in keyboard history.

You can read about the switch here:

wiki/Key_Tronic_foam_and_foil

This is what the Kienzle 9003 looks like, it's an obscure industrial keyboard:
Spoiler:
DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG (896.4 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
Notice the "DT" keycap!

Grand clip Mr.Beardsmore, honestly I don't even know what show that is.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Feb 2017, 19:26

Babylon 5.

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Feb 2017, 21:16

The name of the place is Babylon 5. :lol:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Feb 2017, 21:30

seebart wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: Here's my question: what makes your reviews so great that I should even participate in this poll?
Nothing. ;)

This poll will run for one week.
Convincing answer! I will cast my vote.

seebart

21 Feb 2017, 21:40

vivalarevolución wrote: Convincing answer! I will cast my vote.
:? :lol:

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Feb 2017, 01:14

I cheated and viewed the results, and voted with the majority. To be fair, the they have a good point — surprisingly little is ever said about SKFS switches, and SKFSAA is an ingenious and unique design: a way to have a true click leaf that nonetheless doesn't click. (It comes at a cost of needing extra space inside the switch, which isn't so bad when the switch is really tiny to begin with.)

Having never typed on them (I don't even have any matching keycaps — they're not Alps mount) I don't know how they hold up, but I have my doubts as switches that size tend to not work very well.
SKCMBB SKFSAA ML1A-11JW
SKCMBB SKFSAA ML1A-11JW
SKCM SKFS ML.jpg (138 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
ML1A-11JW T-15 SKFRAC
ML1A-11JW T-15 SKFRAC
ML T-15 SKFS.jpg (136.96 KiB) Viewed 4144 times

seebart

22 Feb 2017, 09:34

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I cheated and viewed the results, and voted with the majority.

That's fine with me. :lol:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: To be fair, the they have a good point — surprisingly little is ever said about SKFS switches, and SKFSAA is an ingenious and unique design: a way to have a true click leaf that nonetheless doesn't click. (It comes at a cost of needing extra space inside the switch, which isn't so bad when the switch is really tiny to begin with.)

Having never typed on them (I don't even have any matching keycaps — they're not Alps mount) I don't know how they hold up, but I have my doubts as switches that size tend to not work very well.
You are right, SKFR/SKFS deserve more attention. It's a shame that few keyboards seem to have them. I will gladly take another look at both my Apple adjustables (which I never did apart for the wiki), both are from lowpoly locally. It does not suprise me Apple went with the tactile SKFS White for the adjustable.
Macintosh-centris-660av.jpg
Macintosh-centris-660av.jpg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Apple Centris 660AV with 17" monitor and adjustable keyboard.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Feb 2017, 00:35

The BTC and Kienzle seem interesting, too. I proxied a BTC for someone recently which I think had similar switches and it felt like a pleasurable budget Topre.

Hak Foo

23 Feb 2017, 06:38

I had a 725 a while back. It was interesting in that they did some very bizarre things. The layout (who makes the right-side keycaps 0.25x larger than normal?), the editing block, the extra LEDs. They didn't want to quite admit they were building PC clones at Wang for a long time. :)

There was a guy who had a stock of them NIB for years, but you had to pay extra for a custom cable because they used a nonstandard, non-SDL cable.

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 10:18

vivalarevolución wrote: The BTC and Kienzle seem interesting, too. I proxied a BTC for someone recently which I think had similar switches and it felt like a pleasurable budget Topre.
That's basically it with BTC yes. 75% Topre feel for 10% of the price.
Hak Foo wrote: I had a 725 a while back. It was interesting in that they did some very bizarre things. The layout (who makes the right-side keycaps 0.25x larger than normal?), the editing block, the extra LEDs. They didn't want to quite admit they were building PC clones at Wang for a long time. :)
The Wang 725-3770 is great, I love those orange Alps with that clicker action.

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2017, 17:14

Do you need this to complement the AAK?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-A ... 2405430719

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Feb 2017, 17:23

I voted with the majority as well; still, the AAK is a neat-looking board that I do not really see much about here.

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 17:27

alh84001 wrote: Do you need this to complement the AAK?
No, I got the whole setup thanks.
emdude wrote: I voted with the majority as well; still, the AAK is a neat-looking board that I do not really see much about here.
I'm still slightly shocked people want to see the adjustable but why not it's a very versatile funky little keyboard.

Menuhin

23 Feb 2017, 18:30

I did some search on a few of the more unheard of keyboards above, but...
Are any of those totally not present on the Wiki (or with just a few lines of description) or not already covered by Chyros' video reviews?

Of course, reviewing something that has been reviewed is still a review: the effort of reviewing a product the second time may be well spent if the initial review is actually biased or not accurate, and the verdict should be amended. ;)

P.s. I did vote according to the majority.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Feb 2017, 18:39

I just want an opinion on the switches, simply because there's a trend of switches that feel good loose, feeling bad when typed on. The main write-up of the AAK is in Japanese, and hard to translate — in fact, several affected keyboards only have Japanese write-ups (Sandy, MouseFan, rzwv) which is why I really didn't understand what anyone was saying about the AEK II Mitsumi switches. I had to buy some and examine them to be able to document them properly in English.

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 18:41

Menuhin wrote: I did some search on a few of the more unheard of keyboards above, but...
Are any of those totally not present on the Wiki (or with just a few lines of description) or not already covered by Chyros' video reviews?
The only one I'm sure of is that Kienzle 9003.
Menuhin wrote: Of course, reviewing something that has been reviewed is still a review: the effort of reviewing a product the second time may be well spent if the initial review is actually biased or not accurate, and the verdict should be amended. ;)
Don't take it too seriously.
Menuhin wrote: P.s. I did vote according to the majority.
I think most of you did. :lol:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Feb 2017, 23:39

seebart wrote:
emdude wrote: I voted with the majority as well; still, the AAK is a neat-looking board that I do not really see much about here.
I'm still slightly shocked people want to see the adjustable but why not it's a very versatile funky little keyboard.
I voted for it because I just want to see what it looks like all torn apart.

But I would love to see the insides of that BTC as well.

seebart

24 Feb 2017, 11:04

vivalarevolución wrote:
seebart wrote:
I voted for it because I just want to see what it looks like all torn apart.

But I would love to see the insides of that BTC as well.
Not a problem, just have patience.

Return to “Off-topic”