[Vendor] [IC] Multi-vendor keyboard ecommerce site

I enquired several years ago about the possibility of having DT setup an ecommerce site. That was vetoed, but I have spoken with several people who would like to have an ecomm site but don't have the time or knowledge to set one up. They are tired of giving 10% of everything to eBay. I use Magento, which is open source PHP based. There is a commercial extension which costs $300 to purchase. The number of vendors is unlimited. I do not want to make any money off this; I am offering it as a free service to the community. There would be a small one-time fee to set you up and train you.

Each seller gets their own section and can setup their own look and feel thru css and html. There is a responsive web design already included that works with mobile devices. Each seller can choose the areas they ship to, shipping carriers and charges, and payment methods. Paypal is easist and will cost you 3.74% of the total sale price.

I would ask that all who want to participate send me a pm within a week. Other conditions are that sales are restricted to computer related items.

Buyers can purchase from multiple sellers in one transaction if they want to. Shipping would be computed for each seller, and each seller would receive a notification via email of what they need to ship. Labels can be printed thru the ecomm or thru paypal, or manually if you prefer.

Ecommerce makes the selling process so much easier and less time consuming, and the buyer can see exactly what they are getting, know the shipping costs up front, etc. It really does cut down on the length of time it takes to complete a teansaction.

Please send me a pm if you are interested or have additional questions.
elecplus

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 08:45

X
elecplus

DT Pro Member: 0082

Basically, to make it simple to explain, this is like having an Amazon site for keyboards and computer related items. Except that you have the ability, if you want to, to customize the look and feel of your shop.
elecplus

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 09:11

X
elecplus

I think that would be great. Also, some sort of pricing guidelines or moderation would be really awesome. As we all know, ebay prices of keyboards, especially vintage ones is kinda crazy on ebay. It became a treasure hunt that is extremely inefficient. We basically have to watch an item get re-listed weeks after weeks because the sellers have no idea what their stuff worth. Even worse, some vendors refuses to show you the swtich because they are afraid of breaking their boards. So on top of the uneducated pricing, sometimes you have to basically gamble to see if the board have the rare switch you want.

I guess other hobbies like, audio gears, watches, cameras have lessr andom pricing problem because it is more established... I wish we get to that point with keyboards soon.
mustcode

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 09:37

X
mustcode

Main keyboard: Realforce
Main mouse: Logitech G900
Favorite switch: Topre
DT Pro Member: -

So far we have 2, possibly 4 people on board. Who else?

I don't really plan to moderate or set prices. Custom keyboards are so explicit, and the value ranges widely.
A keyboard that has been tested, disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, etc. will be worth more than one that is just tested, and the cleaning left up to the buyer. Too many options for me to wrap my pea-sized brain around :-)
elecplus

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 18:23

X
elecplus

Thanks for the initiative. I'm afraid, however, I would prefer DT (or GH) to set up and run such a site as they're well-established platforms beknown to most keyboard afficionados. That would also make it possible to link interest checks, group buys, retail, support and feedback and have everything at the same site. I could also tolerate a fee as long as its <10%. Ebay is gonna re-fashion itself to become an Amazon-clone in the near future anyway, there will no longer be any private listings nor private auctions. Well, good riddance!
mind_prepared

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 18:51

X
mind_prepared

Main keyboard: Matias Quiet Mini w/blue ALPS
Main mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.0
Favorite switch: complicated ALPS

I would have preferred DT or GH to take the initiative too. But both sites vetoed the idea. With enough word of mouth and promotions, the site could become very well known. And there is nothing to prevent a seller from making a post here or on GH that says you have new items posted on your site. The site also includes RSS feeds, so once people find the site, they can stay on top of what is new.
elecplus

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 18:59

X
elecplus

This is a pretty good idea IMO.
I hope it catches on..
Ir0n

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 19:16

X
Ir0n

Main keyboard: IBM Model F107 / XT
Main mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Favorite switch: buckling spring

I might be interested.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 19:29

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Varmilo VA87MR
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
DT Pro Member: 0129

I proxy anything, including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: wiki/User:Blaise170
What sort of buyer protection would this provide, if any? Ebay's fees are high, but they'll go to bat for you in the event you get burned by a seller.
Polecat

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 22:30

X
Polecat

Main keyboard: Monterey K104
Main mouse: Logitech Optical
Favorite switch: Alps Blue

I might be interested. I was thinking of starting an Etsy shop actually, so I can have a nice selling interface without the hefty eBay fees. But there is the issue of exposure. No one looks on Etsy for keyboard stuff, as far as I know. This won't have the same exposure as eBay but it might be a decent solution long term if it can gain traction.
Tuntematon

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 22:55

X
Tuntematon

Polecat wrote:What sort of buyer protection would this provide, if any? Ebay's fees are high, but they'll go to bat for you in the event you get burned by a seller.

PayPal buyer protection and PayPal seller protection. You can get those without necessarily going through eBay; so, instead of paying eBay + PayPal fees, you can pay only the PayPal fee (which is way lower) and still get protection for both parts.
DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 22:56

X
DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

Main keyboard: IBM Model F 6110344 "Battleship"
Main mouse: Unbranded vertical mouse
Favorite switch: Beam Spring | Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0196

PS: as I've understood, the PayPal fee is for financial protection, while the eBay one is basically for exposure and tools to manage the listings. The site Elecplus is proposing would replace eBay in exactly the two latter functions.
DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 22:59

X
DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

Main keyboard: IBM Model F 6110344 "Battleship"
Main mouse: Unbranded vertical mouse
Favorite switch: Beam Spring | Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0196

mind_prepared wrote:
Ebay is gonna re-fashion itself to become an Amazon-clone in the near future anyway, there will no longer be any private listings nor private auctions.

What? Do you have any reference on this that I could read?

For all the hating and whining, Ebay has worked exceptionally well, world-wide, 90%+ of the time, for a couple of decades now.

Where else would a seller with a 97% positive feedback ratio be considered "inferior"?
fohat
Elder Messenger

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 23:02

X
fohat
Elder Messenger

Main keyboard: Model F 122-key terminal
Main mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse
Favorite switch: Model F Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0158

Polecat wrote:What sort of buyer protection would this provide, if any? Ebay's fees are high, but they'll go to bat for you in the event you get burned by a seller.
fohat wrote:
For all the hating and whining, Ebay has worked exceptionally well, world-wide, 90%+ of the time, for a couple of decades now.

haha, what are you guys, Ebay's secret street promotion team? F outa here! No offense but that's some BS. Ebay has never done shit for me, replied to any of my requests for assistance or been helpful in any way, let alone 'go bat for me'. All they do is milk that cow. At least as far as Germany is concerned, there's not even an official hotline or German-speaking support representative you can talk to if things go awry.

PayPal on the other hand is the real deal. Their buyer protection is worth every cent, no doubt.

As far as Ebay's future development is concerned, here's where I got the information (rumor?) from: https://t3n.de/news/ebay-listing-stirbt-zukunft-956951/

This guy might be dead-on or full of shit, hard to tell. I suppose that's how the truth gets leaked and rumors started, eh? ;)
mind_prepared

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 23:34

X
mind_prepared

Main keyboard: Matias Quiet Mini w/blue ALPS
Main mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.0
Favorite switch: complicated ALPS

As much as I dislike the seller fees, I really do love eBay. I've found lots of great stuff over the years and it's a great selling platform too. If the final value fee was 5% instead of 10%, I would have no real complaints.
Tuntematon

Unread post31 Mar 2018, 23:43

X
Tuntematon

I once sold something on eBay and shipped as requested to the verified address. Turns out that it was a stolen credit card and the user tried to chargeback through PayPal. I just called up PayPal and within an hour I had my money back. I can't say the same for eBay, seems like I've never won a dispute, at least on the selling side of things.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 00:10

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

I proxy anything, including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

Security thru SSL and PayPal. I quit selling on eBay years ago. Even as a Preferred Professional Seller, we always had to take the hit; the customer was NEVER wrong! That's also why I no longer accept credit cards; there were too many instances of someone using stolen cards, and it was my responsibility, as the vendor, to make sure they were correct. That took WAY too much time! THere are services that will guarantee the seller and the cardand the address all match, but that can cost another 5-6% of the sale.
elecplus

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 00:14

X
elecplus

elecplus wrote:
we always had to take the hit; the customer was NEVER wrong!

This is the bottom line. It may be quite different outside the US, but international is where the majority of the buyers are.

The solution, for me, as a seller, has been to migrate more and more to domestic-US sales only, even though there are a lot of very eager and well-heeled buyers elsewhere.

As a buyer, I am happy to buy from anywhere, with confidence, as long as I take it as a given condition that 5% of sales will go bad, for whatever reasons.
fohat
Elder Messenger

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 00:24

X
fohat
Elder Messenger

Main keyboard: Model F 122-key terminal
Main mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse
Favorite switch: Model F Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0158

mind_prepared wrote:
haha, what are you guys, Ebay's secret street promotion team? F outa here! No offense but that's some BS. Ebay has never done shit for me, replied to any of my requests for assistance or been helpful in any way, let alone 'go bat for me'. All they do is milk that cow. At least as far as Germany is concerned, there's not even an official hotline or German-speaking support representative you can talk to if things go awry.

PayPal on the other hand is the real deal. Their buyer protection is worth every cent, no doubt.

As far as Ebay's future development is concerned, here's where I got the information (rumor?) from: https://t3n.de/news/ebay-listing-stirbt-zukunft-956951/

This guy might be dead-on or full of shit, hard to tell. I suppose that's how the truth gets leaked and rumors started, eh? ;)

I've never sold anything there, but as a buyer I've been very happy with ebay. With a couple thousand deals under my belt (almost none of them keyboard stuff) I've had maybe twenty instances where a seller tried to burn me, and ebay came through in every single case. If the price is too high I simply don't bid, just like in real life. ;)
Polecat

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 00:33

X
Polecat

elecplus wrote:Security thru SSL and PayPal. I quit selling on eBay years ago. Even as a Preferred Professional Seller, we always had to take the hit; the customer was NEVER wrong! That's also why I no longer accept credit cards; there were too many instances of someone using stolen cards, and it was my responsibility, as the vendor, to make sure they were correct. That took WAY too much time! THere are services that will guarantee the seller and the cardand the address all match, but that can cost another 5-6% of the sale.

Thanks, I'm not a big Paypal fan, and I refuse to give them access to my bank account after they got hacked multiple times. But since they shut down all the other payment options I reluctantly use them when necessary. I understand the hassles for sellers. I ran a surplus business for many years, and had to deal with ripoff artists on occasion. We finally stopped taking cards and only accepted cash on the barrelhead, but that's not really an option in this modern pushbutton world.
Polecat

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 00:51

X
Polecat

I would love for this to go through. The reason I try to stay away from eBay is not only the fees, they put a hold on the money for up to a week. Along with that, they let you buy items without paying for it immediately, so it can be up to 2 weeks before you see a cent from what you sold.
Brett MacK

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 01:00

X
Brett MacK

Main keyboard: SGI Granite
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: White Clicky Hi-Tek 725

FWIW, the waiting period is removed after you have enough sales. I can use the money as soon as I get paid.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 01:12

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Blaise170 wrote:FWIW, the waiting period is removed after you have enough sales. I can use the money as soon as I get paid.

Of that's cool I never really looked into it. Do you have any idea how long it takes until that restriction is removed?
Brett MacK

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 01:23

X
Brett MacK

Main keyboard: SGI Granite
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: White Clicky Hi-Tek 725

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 16:21

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Brett MacK wrote:I would love for this to go through. The reason I try to stay away from eBay is not only the fees, they put a hold on the money for up to a week. Along with that, they let you buy items without paying for it immediately, so it can be up to 2 weeks before you see a cent from what you sold.

If you start selling with a new PayPal account, you must meet the following conditions before the restrictions are lifted:

- Complete 5 transactions
- Sell $150 worth of goods
- Wait 60 days from the date of your first transaction

Regarding payment, you can set your listing to "Require immediate payment with Buy It Now". You'll find this under "Payment Options". Of course, this does you no good with auctions.
Tuntematon

Unread post01 Apr 2018, 19:06

X
Tuntematon