[Vendor] scrounging day

elecplus wrote:
I used the vintage haul list, because some of the people from the list 2 years ago got Ellipse boards and no longer wanted an unsaver. Hypersphere because he has asked since 2 years ago.

Personally, I "did not have a dog in this fight" but there really can be only 1 list .....

I have entered my name on a couple of spreadsheets a couple of times over the years, but the entire concept was just so complicated and confusing that I assumed that they were going to be ignored or deleted and that I should never expect to ever rise to the top.
fohat

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 16:41

X
fohat

Main keyboard: Model F 122-key terminal
Main mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse
Favorite switch: Model F Buckling Spring
Club member: 0158

#1 1387033 missing 3 caps, otherwise in good shape. Has DIP switches on the back.

#2 3290-A3084 No attached cable. 25-pin male and 15-pin female on the back of the board. Missing 3 springs, 2 caps and spacebar.

#3 appears to be a modified version of #2. DIP switches on the back, attached cable coming out of the 25-pin space, no 15-pin, just a hole. Hand written number says 1397955. Complete caps, I think.

#4 1397955 Mfd for IBM by Lexmark. Has DIP switches on the back. Diff characters on the front of the PF keys. Complete caps, I think.

#5 1387033 Missing 5 caps, has DIP switches on the back.

#6 1387033 Missing 3 springs, 12 caps and spacebar. Cracks in top plastic below the PF keys. Has DIP switches on the back.

IMG_5398.JPG

#7 1387033 Missing 3 caps. Has DIP switches on the back.

#8 1387033 Missing 6 caps. Has DIP switches on the back.

All have silver square IBM badge top right corner.

The price is $250 each. Shipping TBD.
Last edited by elecplus on 04 Jul 2016, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.
elecplus

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 16:46

X
elecplus

Club member: 0082

fohat wrote:Personally, I "did not have a dog in this fight" but there really can be only 1 list .....

I have entered my name on a couple of spreadsheets a couple of times over the years, but the entire concept was just so complicated and confusing that I assumed that they were going to be ignored or deleted and that I should never expect to ever rise to the top.

Exactly this. Completely agree. There are lists of lists of lists and I've got no idea which list is THE list anymore. I was one of the first people on Deskthority to register my interest for Unsavers in the original threads, but I don't think I'll end up getting one, sadly. Especially not when people are offering $400 for them...

I might be up for an F122, however, since the 104 is never going to happen. How much do those go for?

EDIT: Those are $250 with the missing caps and everything?! Ok, nevermind, for that price I'm out.

EDIT2: I'm confused, I thought you said the F-122s were $250, but those seem to be the 104s... how much are the 122s?
Last edited by scottc on 04 Jul 2016, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
scottc

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 16:48

X
scottc

Main keyboard: GH60-HASRO 62g Nixies, HHKB Pro1 HS, Novatouch
Main mouse: Steelseries Rival 300
Favorite switch: Nixdorf 'Soft Touch' MX Black
Club member: 0081

If anyone decides to drop out at $250 I will happily take their place. I would take any of the boards!
Last edited by photekq on 04 Jul 2016, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
photekq
Cherry Picker

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 16:54

X
photekq
Cherry Picker

Main keyboard: Various Cherry Corp keyboards
Main mouse: Razer Deathadder (1st gen)
Favorite switch: Nixdorf 'Soft Touch' MX Black (55g springs)
Club member: 0068

andrewjoy wrote:
Well , Red and Black are VCC and GND respectivly. I mean unless the deisnger was short on people who detest him and everything he stands for and he wants to resolve the problem.

If you have a multimeter you can confirm the VCC and GND as they are the ones that will cause the magic smoke to escape

the other are clock and data but pot luck with that, them being reversed is unlekly to cause damage , it just wont work.

if it was me designing it i would put Clock on yellow.

The reset line on mine may never have even been connected , i just left it folating ( not connected to anything)

EDIT

Looking at the back of the PCB it looks like the designer may well have been an absolute dick. check out the traces on the outside pins they are way thicker and one goes to that bank of resistors , i bet you they are power and ground.

Dont connect anything without a multimter.

I have a multimeter. What do I look for to tell power from ground if the keyboard is not powered up somehow?

The only things that I wire up regularly are F-122s, and although I know that color never means anything,

VCC = Black
GND = White
Data = Red
Clock = Yellow
fohat

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 16:58

X
fohat

I got the message guys. No more lists will be used. I will just put them on the ecomm.
elecplus

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:02

X
elecplus

Can someone tell me why these are desirable? The F122 was my very first IBM keyboard and it was good but I'm just wondering why the demand?
snuci
Vintage computer guy

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:22

X
snuci
Vintage computer guy

Club member: 0131

Rarity is the most important factor. That, plus the tenkeyless fad helping a bit.
BTW, sorry for the troubles Cindy.
dzhoou

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:23

X
dzhoou

Main keyboard: 6110668

Ah, sorry. Didn't realize these were 10 keyless. Can they be switched to be used with a PC? If I recall correctly, my IBM AT had a terminal emulator card that made the normal F122 keyboard work.
snuci
Vintage computer guy

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:25

X
snuci
Vintage computer guy

Most of them have the DIN plug idential to F122, which means they can be converted with Soarer's converter, which costs as little as $4 and some spare time.
Last edited by dzhoou on 04 Jul 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
dzhoou

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:28

X
dzhoou

elecplus wrote:
#6 1387033 Cracks in top plastic below the PF keys. Has DIP switches on the back.

These F keyboard shells have a "core" plastic and a "skin" layer.

These "cracks" are very common in the skin layer and I would use a word like "crazing" or "checking" since they don't go through.
fohat

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:28

X
fohat

elecplus wrote:I used the vintage haul list, because some of the people from the list 2 years ago got Ellipse boards and no longer wanted an unsaver. Hypersphere because he has asked since 2 years ago. Chrisism because he started this whole thing!

What vintage haul list? Where is the link?

There needs to be one list, it needs to be in a common location, and we need to be able to update it. Either that, or you're ignoring the lists or using them as guidance.

It's up to you how you want to do this, but if you're using lists, this needs to be better documented.

I'll work on doing this. I'll send you a PM asking for which lists you're using and work on a sticky post.
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:47

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Main keyboard: XMIT Hall Effect
Main mouse: CST L-Trac Trackball
Favorite switch: XMIT 60g Tactile Hall Effect
Club member: 0093

XMIT wrote:What vintage haul list? Where is the link?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
It's from Cindy's recent vintage haul thread.
vendors-f52/the-vintage-haul-t14063.html
dzhoou

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:47

X
dzhoou

The various posts confused me as well. Maybe keep it to one thread and update the OP as you go?
romevi

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:52

X
romevi

Main keyboard: Realforce 87UB
Main mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus
Favorite switch: Can't decide!
Club member: -

elecplus wrote:I got the message guys. No more lists will be used. I will just put them on the ecomm.

Sure, but e-commerce waiting lists have other implications as well:

- anyone - DT or not DT member - can buy or reserve things on e-commerce;
- depending on the e-commerce system reservations can be too specific. What if you want any SSK, register interest for a regular SSK, and a Displaywriter SSK comes along? Should you get dibs on the Displaywriter because of registered interest, or not get it because you didn't ask for a Displaywriter SSK?
- whoever happens to be awake and clicks refresh on the site when an item is posted get is
- e-commerce may not be able to tell you, for example, how many people are ahead of you in line.

At the core this is a communication issue between a vendor and customers.

Really, the only thing here that bugs me is the miscommunication about what "list" was being used for what.
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:53

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

No more lists! Please just drop it. I know I can't please everyone. There is no one system that will suit everyone. That is just the way it is.
elecplus

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 17:54

X
elecplus

Okay, no more lists. Got it.

If you do have a system, though, it would be great to communicate what is. Something like:
- a thread - NOT in Classifieds - for reporting finds. (Nothing is for sale here so it doesn't belong in Classifieds.)
- another thread - in Classifieds, maybe with a link in the first thread - saying that things can be purchased with instructions on how to purchase them. Only do this when something is listed on e-commerce.

The above is how I intend to run my sales in the future. I'll let you know how it goes.
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 18:01

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

I do agree that the e-commerce site is the best way to go. It is not that advantageous to DT members but Cindy has a business to run. Perhaps she can create an "Elecplus Keyboards For Sale" thread and let people know when things are being updated on her site. I often see her posts on the CC-Talk (Classic Computing Talk) list of vintage computer items she is selling so I can look in one place for both :)
snuci
Vintage computer guy

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 18:11

X
snuci
Vintage computer guy

dzhoou wrote:
XMIT wrote:What vintage haul list? Where is the link?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
It's from Cindy's recent vintage haul thread.
vendors-f52/the-vintage-haul-t14063.html

It seems like that "vintage haul" list was never intended for people to register interest in Unsavers so it probably shouldn't have been used for that purpose. It was meant for people to register interest in the part numbers posted in the OP (no Unsaver part numbers). Some people just used it as an opportunity to list all the keyboards they were looking for which is pretty much the same list for everyone.
convo

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 18:11

X
convo

Main keyboard: Model M
Main mouse: Microsoft
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
Club member: -

There may or may not be, people did not know that when the thread/list was created. This talk is over anyway ;)
dzhoou

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 18:16

X
dzhoou

I am a simple person, and I have a need to keep things simple. I hate contention and uproars. There are too many variables in my life and my schedule for this forum to become a sore spot for me.

I have been told that sometimes I don't communicate well. I guess I think it through, and forget to spell it out for everyone else. That is my fault, and I apologize.

Please, those of you who are taking the unsavers, post your desired keyboard number next to your name in the above list. If you choose to pass, then the next person on the list has the option, and so on until they are gone.
elecplus

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 18:41

X
elecplus

I see now. The spreadsheet was a new one created on June 21st (looking at revision history). Any "interest" registered in spreadsheets from 2014 or 2015 wasn't considered here. I remember there being a bunch hence the source of my confusion.

I can't recall if I did or did not note that I wanted an Unsaver back then (I think I did? I can't find the link easily?) but it doesn't matter now. :-(
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 19:10

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Cindy -

You are doing people a huge favor by saving and holding stuff for people.

99% of the items for sale in the world are fair game as soon as they go up - first come, first served.

Obviously, a buyer 1-5 time zones behind the seller has the greatest advantage, and those 5-10 time zones ahead of sellers are at the greatest disadvantage. But much of that can revolve on whether you tend to list most often at morning, noon, or night.

Another thing that might simplify your tab a lot is to allow no more than 2 items on any buyer's watch list at a time.
fohat

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 19:15

X
fohat

fohat wrote:Obviously, a buyer 1-5 time zones behind the seller has the greatest advantage, and those 5-10 time zones ahead of sellers are at the greatest disadvantage.

For my own sales I have two ways around this.

One is to pick and announce a listing time well in advance, to let people plan accordingly. Being a US seller I tend to pick times that work well for the US.

Another is to run silent auctions. Those have a set expiration time and give folks all over plenty of time to put their bids in.
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 19:25

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Cindy is AMAZING. The fact that she even wastes her time with us is incredible. Regardless of the processes she uses to select people, we should ALL be grateful (even those unfortunate) that she continues to strive to salvage these boards. Her success at finding unicorns before slaughter is unparalled.

There will always be issues with "fairness", when it comes to these "finds". If you have suggestions (some above are valid), communicate it in a way that where no one feels attacked. Cindy is the true treasure of this site, and I would feel that way even if I only ever observed and hadn't benefited myself. If she feels attacked, or we feel like she is being, we need to take offense. Remember, she is certainly entitled to put these on eBay and reap the benefits. If I was her, I would certainly consider after this ungratefulness.

Again, she is running a business, not some silly group buy. If you have suggestions for her, be respectable and reach out directly (especially if you are bitter).

PS... Kudos to all of you that defended her
lot_lizard

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 20:48

X
lot_lizard

Main keyboard: Indy SSK Model MF
Main mouse: Logitech Anywhere MX
Favorite switch: Beamspring
Club member: 0153

Absolutely right lot_lizard!

Really, nobody should expect to get these lovely boards from Cindy, and those that do shouldn't take it for granted. Cindy exerts an extreme effort to save these from the shredder, and we all know that they're very limited. Just stay in the line and see what comes to you! I got my beloved 3278 from Cindy, and for that alone I'm eternally grateful :mrgreen:
photekq
Cherry Picker

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 20:57

X
photekq
Cherry Picker

Main keyboard: Various Cherry Corp keyboards
Main mouse: Razer Deathadder (1st gen)
Favorite switch: Nixdorf 'Soft Touch' MX Black (55g springs)
Club member: 0068

Interested in keyboards (first and foremost), politics, history, computers, and big machines.

PM me about anything, or talk to me here :

Skype - viral.bro
Steam - blutboomer
Ok, I am up, gimme a chance to look through them.
Chrisism

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 22:49

X
Chrisism

Main keyboard: IBM Model F 122
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Capacative Buckling Spring

#1 please...
Chrisism

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 23:10

X
Chrisism

Main keyboard: IBM Model F 122
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Capacative Buckling Spring

elecplus wrote:The winners, in the order you can pick your boards. PLEASE wait for the person above you on the list to make their choice!

Chrisism chose board #1
Hypersphere
Hammelgammler and gf (1 each)
Ramnes
Phenix
Chzel
alh84001

See the next post for details on each board. They are numbered in the picture.

EDIT: Please post HERE what part number you want, and please wait for the person ahead of you to make their choice.
elecplus

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 23:12

X
elecplus

@elecplus:

Many thanks for the opportunity, but I am going to pass on this one.

I am low on funds and low on spare time to spend on refurbishing.

Glad to give someone else the chance to acquire an "unsaver".
Hypersphere

Unread post04 Jul 2016, 23:36

X
Hypersphere

Main keyboard: Silenced & Lubed HHKB (Black)
Main mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 Black
Favorite switch: Topre 45/55g Silenced; Various Alps; IBM Model F
Club member: 0038

PreviousNext