Another browser bites the dust

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 May 2015, 17:11

Google's search engine results are the scary part. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of those data centers. That's when you realise the scope of their operations. No one external really knows what they do with all that data.

I know someone who actually did an internship in the late 1990's at Google. He told me that company fundamentally changed since then. For the worse.

Muirium
µ

19 May 2015, 17:16

I'm no fan of conspiracy theories. But I must admit that Google's a good example that some secrets can be kept by large numbers of people. Perhaps it helps that most of those involved only know a tiny piece of the picture.

seebart

19 May 2015, 17:30

Yes that and the long ass NDA's those scared employees have to sign. One can only imagine what googles legal dept. looks like by now. More $$$ = more lawyers.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 May 2015, 20:52

I know it's naive but I never really got worried with what they do with my data. I'm a dot in millions, I doubt there's real people analyzing my individual actions. I don't really care if my usage is over-analyzed for statistics or behavior studies to improve their services or even their ads. If they know me better to provide me a better service, I'm okay with that.

One could argue that Google could sell out your info, but so could pretty much any other company. I'm not a rich or important person, I don't have that much stuff on the internet worth anything. The company buying my info would be ripped off :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

19 May 2015, 21:07

Good. Can I mount some cameras in your home? So will have no objections, and if fact will be vocal about it?

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 May 2015, 21:18

I already have cameras in my home, no need for more thank you very much. However if Google provides a better price and service than my current security company that'd be great.

JBert

19 May 2015, 21:43

matt3o wrote: Welcome to the world of closed source and adware, Firefox

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... efox-beta/

only thing left to do is to install Konqueror :)
If you are using Linux, why not install GNUzilla or GNU IceCat? I haven't tried it TBH, but from reading some about it most Firefox plugins should still work...

chzel

19 May 2015, 23:29

matt3o wrote: Vivaldi looks promising
I like what I am seeing! I LOVED Opera right up to v12...I might install it again for nostalgia's sake!
Hopefully some of Opera's good stuff will be passed on to Vivaldi. Gestures are already there and I'd like to see skins and full toolbar customization!

JBert

20 May 2015, 10:24

matt3o wrote: Vivaldi looks promising
But unlike Firefox it's completely closed source...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 May 2015, 10:46

wasn't it supposed to go open source once it reached the release status?

JBert

20 May 2015, 11:57

matt3o wrote: wasn't it supposed to go open source once it reached the release status?
I don't know where you got that from...

Here's just one discussion where people petition for open-sourcing it (sadly no dev jumps in):

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi ... is-vivaldi

SL89

20 May 2015, 17:12

Tbh, I can live with a little closed source. FF and chrome are both ostensibly OSS and both are very terrible at it. I just welcome more competition in the field.

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 May 2015, 14:21

Muirium wrote: I'm no fan of conspiracy theories. But I must admit that Google's a good example that some secrets can be kept by large numbers of people. Perhaps it helps that most of those involved only know a tiny piece of the picture.
There are 2 books that all of you should read, if you haven't already:

"In the Plex" by Steven Levy

"The Filter Bubble" by Eli Parsier

scottc

22 May 2015, 14:04

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 14:12

Hey, what's good enough for Ubuntu is good enough for all free as in shut the hell up beer software.

VICTORY!

andrewjoy

22 May 2015, 14:18

Well the code is open source right ? So someone can rip that shit out.

Windows 10 has cortana, that shit is getting turned off right away. What about spotlight , does that search the web when you search for stuff on the mac or does it only access when when you ask it to ?

SL89

22 May 2015, 15:05

andrewjoy wrote: Well the code is open source right ? So someone can rip that shit out.

Windows 10 has cortana, that shit is getting turned off right away. What about spotlight , does that search the web when you search for stuff on the mac or does it only access when when you ask it to ?
The more shit that gets built in, the more I find myself moving away from Windows and OSX. I think you can indeed disable that functionality in Spotlight.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 15:25

I'm not on my modern Mac today (back on the 12 year old G4 where Spotlight was so slow I never touch it) but I think the only lookups are Wikipedia and such. No Amazon kickbacks for Apple. No tip jar either!

SL89

22 May 2015, 15:27

Muirium wrote: I'm not on my modern Mac today (back on the 12 year old G4 where Spotlight was so slow I never touch it) but I think the only lookups are Wikipedia and such. No Amazon kickbacks for Apple. No tip jar either!
The Amazon stuff can be nuked in Ubuntu as well FYI.

andrewjoy

22 May 2015, 19:33

why would anyone install unbuntu when arch exists :P

SL89

22 May 2015, 19:43

I think Mu was referencing the amazon kickbacks built into Ubuntu

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 19:55

Every thread turns into a Linux distro war eventually, on the long winding road down to Hitler…

seebart

22 May 2015, 19:57

Linux does not deserve to be mentioned in one sentence with Hitler. :O

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 20:17

Whoops! Usually that spot is reserved for spurious comparisons with communism!

Mal-2

22 May 2015, 20:40

Muirium wrote: Every thread turns into a Linux distro war eventually, on the long winding road down to Hitler…
This thread has now officially been Godwinned.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 20:57

That's exactly what I meant. But Linux got there first.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Jan 2022, 15:19

LaimNoah wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 06:17
[…] You're on the right track. Everything I said was intended that way. However, it is already built-in to Linux.
Considering this user just registered with DT and this is their first post,
I would say it is safe to flag this post as SPAM

Return to “Off-topic”