Clicky keyboard, setting in iOS 16

thefarside

20 Sep 2022, 16:34

I learned the new iOS 16 has a setting to enable haptic feedback for key presses, simulating a clicky keyboard. As a fan of clickies, I turned it on. I thought it was pretty neat so I thought I would share.

If you want to try it, go to the Sounds, and Haptics settings, and there’s a switch to turn on haptic feedback, and a fake click sound, which I am not a fan of.
9DAFAE9A-10E9-4DCA-811F-F28CF51D5991.jpeg
9DAFAE9A-10E9-4DCA-811F-F28CF51D5991.jpeg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 6499 times

Julle

20 Sep 2022, 18:19

Wait, are you saying this didn't exist in iOS before version 16? I have no brand or OS loyalty when it comes to phones, I'm just a little surprised if this is the case.

thefarside

20 Sep 2022, 18:24

Julle wrote:
Wait, are you saying this didn't exist in iOS before version 16? I have no brand or OS loyalty when it comes to phones, I'm just a little surprised if this is the case.
Yes my understanding is prior iOS versions never had this feature, which is crazy because a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it did the same thing, but better late than never 8-)

goodwill_pillager

12 Oct 2022, 06:52

You guys don't plug your iphone into 30 year old IBM keyboards through 5 feet of adapters? Yeah uhhhh neither do I........ :D

thefarside

12 Oct 2022, 12:00

goodwill_pillager wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 06:52
You guys don't plug your iphone into 30 year old IBM keyboards through 5 feet of adapters? Yeah uhhhh neither do I........ :D
I definitely did that when I had an iPad with a USB C connection!

Muirium
µ

12 Oct 2022, 15:48

USB C? How newfangled. ;)
Muirium wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:21
…years ago when I got my first mech—an XT—and hooked it up to my iPad with Soarer’s converter, that ledge did vex me. The iPad slid against it perfectly, but how to prop it up? I never did find an elegant solution.
It took a Soarer and Lightning dongle back then. My OG iPad was already getting on a bit though, so didn’t do it much.

iPad and Bluetooth HHKB meanwhile: heaven. An iPad Pro and Hasu HHKB was my main computer in 2018.

Findecanor

12 Oct 2022, 16:27

Julle wrote:
Wait, are you saying this didn't exist in iOS before version 16?
I'm also a bit perplexed. I know I have tried a haptic touch-screen keyboard before, and Apple used to be pioneering haptics in phones... but I don't remember what device it was I have used. I only remember that it felt a bit ineffective as the feedback often was delayed to after I had already lifted my finger from the "key".

Or, is haptic keyboard an old feature but which has been updated to be more effectful?
Last edited by Findecanor on 12 Oct 2022, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

12 Oct 2022, 20:11

They’ve had pretty fine tuned haptics since introducing the Taptic Engine some years back. Came to the original Apple Watch first I think then the phone. This OS is the first time it’s been available for keyboard clicks though. It was previously used for the ‘hold the space bar to move the text cursor’ control and felt exactly the same.

What took so long? Pride or patents I’d guess. :lol:

Return to “Off-topic”