Who? You're mine!
9%

Total votes: 35

bpiphany

23 Dec 2015, 15:02

She said she wanted earrings..
earring.jpg
earring.jpg (349.77 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
Last edited by bpiphany on 31 Dec 2015, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Halvar

23 Dec 2015, 15:14

That's a sweet gift! Great idea, and I love the cutouts and the aureole of traces.

Muirium
µ

23 Dec 2015, 15:39

How could she not see the unique beauty in them? The only problem would be everyone else. Actually wearing those would be quite a nerdy challenge in any crowd.

bpiphany

23 Dec 2015, 15:53

Yeah, we'll see. I think they turned out quite alright =) They are probably not her style. On the right occasion perhaps. They are not for Christmas, but her birthday in a couple of days. I'll let you know the correct answer then...

I found those spiffy transparent ICs in some Microsoft mice. The sensor for the tracking is directly on the die. They are nice for educational purposes as well. I'll give them to the science department if they fail as a gift. You can see the die, leadframe, and even the bonding wires with some magnification. I also had a PCB order overdue, so I thought why not.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

23 Dec 2015, 17:32

MrsXMIT would like them if she wore earrings at all. ;-)

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Dec 2015, 18:20

Hmmm, hard to say. If she's cool, she will like it. If not, not :)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Dec 2015, 19:06

My wife would love them, but I have a cool wife. I think it's a very nice gift, and special.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Dec 2015, 19:08

Fuck I clicked on the wrong option in the pool , add one to No :lol:

Findecanor

23 Dec 2015, 19:27

You made them. They are from you. It is a personal gift.
If she is worth keeping then she will like them for that reason even if it isn't what she had requested or expected.

Halvar

23 Dec 2015, 19:42

I agree with Findecanor. If she's not a techy person herself I would probably still get her something as a second gift that explicitly has something to do with her own interests, just to make sure.

bpiphany

23 Dec 2015, 20:21

Don't worry guys. I've got the situation under control. I have another one for her as well - a weather station... Yeah, I'm screwed =D

Seriously, I just wanted to show off the sparkly ICs.

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Dec 2015, 20:52

Do some more with black PCBs! Those ICs are beautiful.

__red__

26 Dec 2015, 01:46

I would ask my wife's opinion but it would make me look bad.

bpiphany

29 Dec 2015, 23:48

19 votes, 12 no, 5 yes, corrected for Daniel's mistake.

I ended up giving her the weather station for Christmas. It was a bit surprisingly a big success! She liked the earrings as well. Agreeing black probably would have been wearable on more occasions. She thinks I'm a bit weird, but that's nothing new =D

I'll close the topic here. (Actually I won't since I don't seem to have the permissions to..)

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Dec 2015, 00:01

That is by design, so we can continue to taunt you.

JanitorJoe

30 Dec 2015, 05:38

bpiphany wrote: She thinks I'm a bit weird, but that's nothing new =D
Had a feeling on that last part. Nobody who makes their wife pcb earings doesn't already have a track record for those sorts of shenanigans :lol:

(After the fact vote for daft prick because it's the most amusing)

bpiphany

31 Dec 2015, 09:57

webwit wrote: That is by design, so we can continue to taunt you.
That's fine with me =) I've changed the subject to be more accurate.

__red__

20 Feb 2017, 01:06

So, we never did find out how those earrings went down...

bpiphany

08 Mar 2017, 13:34

__red__ wrote: So, we never did find out how those earrings went down...
She was happy for them =) I think she may be struggling to find the occasion to wear them though...

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Mar 2017, 14:11

Built this one for the wiffy and gave it to her for her new job ... Norbauer'd Novatouch with Hana DSA

She doesn't like it :(

belowgeek

08 Mar 2017, 14:50

That's actually quite thoughtful mate. Some girls really love those unique gift as opposed to the cliche ones. Kudos to you brother!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Mar 2017, 14:52

Heh thanks for the kind words ... I'm afraid I am to blame for any keyboard aversions she might have ...

Return to “Off-topic”