Carbonated non-alcoholic drinks of choice?

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Mar 2016, 08:19

I'm interested in hearing about people's taste in carbonated non-alcoholic beverages.

Lately I've been into two drinks:

1) Coke slushes, and damn they are addicting
2) Tonic water, particularly the stuff made by Canada Dry -- I need to try good tonic water at some point

Topre Enthusiast

11 Mar 2016, 10:02

I find that nearly all carbonated drinks these days are just so high in sugar that they just feel wrong. On the rare occasion that I drink soft-drink, I cut it with soda water. I like Dr. Pepper and Lemon Lime Bitters :)

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 Mar 2016, 10:26

I like Coca Cola when I was drunken the day before, and I could drink then a lot on the next day. Tonic is not bad, I really like its kind of strange taste! If we are talking of the same Tonic...

But in general we almost never have such drinks at home, and drink only water, coffee, tea and things like that. Maybe some apple juice which we get from my mother-in-law - which we drink with water, because it would be too sweet! And of course beer!

Ah, that is what I also like:

andrewjoy

11 Mar 2016, 10:31

And classic Coke , but in a glass bottle , none of that can or plastic bottle crap.

Khers

11 Mar 2016, 10:33

Personally, I don't care one bit for soft drinks. Just like 002, I find them so sweet it feels awkward to drink them. If I want something fizzy, there's always carbonated water, beer and champagne. But to be honest, I prefer regular, still, water to carbonated.

Chyros

11 Mar 2016, 10:44

I don't drink soft drinks very often but when I do I prefer bitter lemon. Although I often go coke instead.

When going out I usually end up with coke mixers too as beer really bloats you after so many pints. I used to go coke and vodka but since coming here I found out coke and sambuca is an even better combo.

Halvar

11 Mar 2016, 11:22

- Everything Schweppes, I like almost everythig they make
- Mate-based soft drinks like Club Mate
- Bionade (brewed lemonade)

All of them are too expensive to drink regularly, though.

I like Ice teas, but most of them are ridiculously over-sugared here. The strange thing is that whenever you talk to people they say they want less sugared soft drinks, but the supply either isn't there or overprized.

jou

11 Mar 2016, 12:46

I can't be bothered to buy bottled beverages and I find most soft drinks too sweet, so I usually drink tap water. We have a tap that can spit out carbonated water at work, so that's what I drink during the work day. At home, I drink plain tap water.

When I do drink a soft drink, those are my preferences:
  • Ramune
  • Ginger Ale
  • Apfelsaftschorle (Apple juice cut with soda water)
  • Coke (usually watered down)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Mar 2016, 13:03

Carbonated non-alcoholic drinks have become a huge trend over here, most of which I have tried, none of which I liked enough to drink on a regular basis, all of which are pretty pricey. The bottom line for me:

Tap water with some natural spice:
glaswasser.jpg
glaswasser.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 67970 times

sinusoid

11 Mar 2016, 14:31

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club-Mate
↑ this.
Not oversweetened, comes in varieties, keeps attention high thanks to caffeine content. Fairly simple ingredients without additives AFAIK.

Though I prefer regular mate and tea, or still mineral water.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Mar 2016, 14:50

Very rarely do I drink carbonated non-alcoholic drinks any more, but tonic (quinine) water is usually my go-to, along with bitter citrus options if they are available.

I try to limit my carbohydrate intake, so sugar has generally become distasteful to me, however artificial sweeteners simply do not work properly with already-bitter tastes.

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Mar 2016, 14:55

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Mar 2016, 17:37

Quinine water is tonic water, essentially. So yes -- it's what several people are thinking of.

I'm also a 6' 2"/1.8 m 147 lb./66.68 kg beanstalk of a man, so carb intake hasn't become a concern for me... Yet. I think my metabolism is just starting to slow down.

Edit: Pho... I don't know how you drink Pepsi. I strongly opine that Coke is better, not because of its normal flavor, but because of the aftertaste.

Chyros

11 Mar 2016, 18:46

Pepsi v Coke is one of those eternal debates to which there is just no answer xD . I'm a coke guy, myself :) .

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Mar 2016, 19:08

Very true. Coke actually tried to create a Pepsi-like product at one point using a sweeter formula. It failed miserably because they tried to market it with a different name from "normal" Coke, alienating people who were hooked on the brand and not the product.

Coke's slightly more bitter and complex flavor isn't for everyone, and the aftertaste (which, as I mentioned, is why I drink it) is a subjective pleasure. I think it also has a bit more carbonation going for it. Some people say it's easier to drink large quantities of Coke because it's "smoother." Reminds me of Nutmeg.

Pepsi is much more appealing to sweet-lovers -- higher sugar content and an aggressive up-front flavor. In "sip" tests, Pepsi often wins. The aftertaste, however, I find less than appealing.

Engicoder

11 Mar 2016, 19:17

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

11 Mar 2016, 22:11

Cherry Coke all day, every day!
(maybe it's more like a few a week, I want to keep my teeth)

If I can't get that, i much prefer regular Pepsi to Coke, much better tasting. Coke is too dry for me.

chuckdee

11 Mar 2016, 22:19

This many replies, and no one's said Bawls yet? I guess that I just did!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Mar 2016, 23:51

All day long

pr0ximity

12 Mar 2016, 01:43

I drink something lile two cans of sparkling/carbonated water a day. Really dislike most soda these days, just doesn't make sense drinking that much sugar.

Chyros

12 Mar 2016, 02:14

I hate water. I almost never drink it. Carbonated even worse Oo .

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Mar 2016, 02:38

^

emdude
Model M Apologist

12 Mar 2016, 06:11

Chyros wrote: I hate water. I almost never drink it. Carbonated even worse Oo .
I too dislike drinking water, but that's because it pales in comparison to the best drink in the world: Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi, if necessary)!

I feel very strongly about the crisptastic properties of the drink and have tried to get my friends to convert, to no avail. :evil:

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Mar 2016, 06:32

emdude wrote: I too dislike drinking water, but that's because it pales in comparison to the best drink in the world: Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi, if necessary)!
Wow... Uh... You like how artificial sweeteners taste?

emdude
Model M Apologist

12 Mar 2016, 07:03

I actually do. Regular soda is too syrupy and off-putting for me. I think that the lack of regular sugar lends to a sharper and overall better (at least I think so!) taste.

That said, I think certain sodas like Fanta are fine sugar-sweetened. But for soda in general and definitely Coke/Pepsi, I'd take the diet version over the sugar-sweetened one any day of the week.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

12 Mar 2016, 07:18

I only enjoy Orange flavored soda. Anything else is just too syrupy tasting for me.

Chyros

12 Mar 2016, 10:12

webwit wrote: ^
Hahaha yeah, exactly. Give me a good glass of milk any day ^^ .

Halvar

12 Mar 2016, 17:32

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Mar 2016, 17:33

the-most-interesting-cat-in-the-world.jpg
the-most-interesting-cat-in-the-world.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 67783 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

12 Mar 2016, 17:41

Return to “Off-topic”