What's Up With µ?

Muirium
µ

10 Jul 2018, 22:31

Blaise170 wrote: Hey Mu. I just found this as I've been away since before everything happened. Hope you find peace and hope that you can, someday, enjoy the community who cares for you greatly.
Thanks. I appreciate that, in my strange way of late.

The long and short of my absence is that my mum died last summer of the cancer that had given me the shits. Then just last month, Donna the new star of my life died while we were on our way back to Edinburgh from a trip across southern Scotland. I held them both by the hand while they passed away, just a year apart. The first, after much courage on her part and dread on mine. The latter, well, a total shock I can still barely comprehend. I’m glad we met, and I’m glad I was there, for both of them. Wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else, that’s for sure. Works a number on you, mind.

fohat
Elder Messenger

10 Jul 2018, 23:16

Muirium wrote:
The long and short of my absence
That is a trying year indeed. The unexpected ones are orders of magnitude harder to process.

That saying about "time heals all wounds" ain't true, but it does help them recede into the territory of memories, where they become manageable at least.

Muirium
µ

10 Jul 2018, 23:28

Wise words. I’m still reeling. Knowing it’ll get, well, knowing that I’ll get through it. For the time being I’m in the fuzzy headed and distracted stage of grief. Everyone who knows me day to day knows there’s something up with me, and when they hear why, they give me a hug. Hugs are good.

Meanwhile, I tried shipping two people their stuff from the µGB of 1815. One box almost got lost (thanks Hermes, and your worse than useless customer support) while I fucked up the other one myself. Ungk! Maybe a bit soon to be righting amends quite yet. Had to go and ship all the easy ones on time, back in the day.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Jul 2018, 00:15

Don't force it mate. After awhile the impatience wears off and people will just mindlessly wait until you are able to get things out. Just ask me about my knives; I sent them to a place about 13 months ago, and finally after many an email, facebook message, bad Yelp reviews, etc. I got them back (still in their original state). Now that I finally have them back in hand, I really don't care all that much about them.

andrewjoy

11 Jul 2018, 12:04

That is indeed sad news. I don't think anything i could say can help, but i am glad to hear from you.

Stay strong mate, don't rush anything.

elecplus

11 Jul 2018, 18:32

Huge hugs from me, Mu. My heart goes out to you.

HzFaq

11 Jul 2018, 20:00

All the best pal, it gets easier.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Jul 2018, 02:05

Muirium wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Hey Mu. I just found this as I've been away since before everything happened. Hope you find peace and hope that you can, someday, enjoy the community who cares for you greatly.
Thanks. I appreciate that, in my strange way of late.

The long and short of my absence is that my mum died last summer of the cancer that had given me the shits. Then just last month, Donna the new star of my life died while we were on our way back to Edinburgh from a trip across southern Scotland. I held them both by the hand while they passed away, just a year apart. The first, after much courage on her part and dread on mine. The latter, well, a total shock I can still barely comprehend. I’m glad we met, and I’m glad I was there, for both of them. Wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else, that’s for sure. Works a number on you, mind.
Wtf. That's heavy stuff. Understandable that keyboards take a backseat.

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2018, 09:15

Wtf indeed! Sometimes the world likes to fuck around with you, just to see how you’ll take it, I suppose. If so, I suspect the deities are disappointed, ideally in the “meh” rather than “dial it up again!” direction.

My thanks to everyone for their sentiments. It’s a trying game this life thing.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Jul 2018, 11:12

You seem to be taking it rather well considering. Life does indeed like to fuck with people.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Jul 2018, 12:25

Muirium wrote: […] Hugs are good. […]

justcallmecrash

17 Jul 2018, 16:51

Damn, Mu. So sorry to hear about your losses - remember we're here for you.

ideus

18 Jul 2018, 01:34

Oh my God. It is so sad to hear about it. Very sorry Bro.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2018, 19:50

@Muirium,

Just catching up after a long absence from DT owing to various life and work obligations.

Very sorry for the tragedies you've endured.

What I have discovered after going through some similar experiences is that you never really get over it. This is as it should be. Those we care about deeply become part of us, and their loss creates deep wounds. The wounds will heal after a time, but the scars remain for the rest of our lives. In a roundabout way, the pain serves to remind us of how fortunate we were to have had the privilege of knowing and loving such as these.

Menuhin

03 Sep 2018, 21:50

fohat wrote:
Muirium wrote:
The long and short of my absence
That is a trying year indeed. The unexpected ones are orders of magnitude harder to process.

That saying about "time heals all wounds" ain't true, but it does help them recede into the territory of memories, where they become manageable at least.
Hope you manage to slowly recover well, with supportive people around.
Some of my previous losses still haunt me in my dreams after 10+ years.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

04 Sep 2018, 14:24

My first real loss was in high school, where I lost one of my best friends. She started getting extremely sick and it wasn't until after her death that we discovered she had a parasite in her brain. This was over 7 years ago and I still think about it from time to time. Would we still be good friends today? Who knows.

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2018, 14:28

Ouch. I feel for you. Some of my closest friends are still my high school buddies, decades later. I lost a couple of them way back, one to leukaemia and one to a car crash in her native Italy. Life's random, but so poetic, and living memory is all we've really got.

Return to “Off-topic”