Football thread

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

18 Mar 2016, 12:56

Any soccer fans around?

UEFA Champions league draw just finished and it's pretty sad that Benfica (portuguese team) has to face off the mighty Bayern Munich :( ggwp

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2016, 13:16

It's not sad. It's the quarter finals of the CL.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Mar 2016, 13:22

seebart wrote: […] Half of everything on German TV is cooking shows, the rest is soccer. […]
By the way, do we have a cooking thread here on DT? :lol:

Edit: I wonder why you chose to rename your thread:
soccer thread.jpg
soccer thread.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
:lol:

pcaro

18 Mar 2016, 13:29

Here a Sevilla FC fan. At Europe League, the match is with Atletic de Bilbao. Difficult match.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

18 Mar 2016, 14:30

webwit wrote: It's not sad. It's the quarter finals of the CL.
It's sad because if we could avoid Bayern and Barcelona we would have a chance (even if not very high) to reach the semis. This way it's quite impossible.

kbdfr wrote: Edit: I wonder why you chose to rename your thread:
Mega-thread sounded a bit too arrogant for a thread with 0 answers :lol:

pcaro wrote: Here a Sevilla FC fan. At Europe League, the match is with Atletic de Bilbao. Difficult match.
Athletico Bilbao was probably one best matches you could get, though. Totally possible.

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2016, 14:58

I want to rename this thread to Football. We're mostly proud Europeans around here. Enough pussyfooting to American tastes!

By the way, "sad" doesn't even begin to describe what passes for football here in Scotland. The last time we even qualified for the World Cup was last century. I don't follow the sport (because I'm not a self hating masochist) so I don't know for sure. But I reckon it's a fair bet Scottish clubs have long been entirely absent from the late stages of the Champions Leauge as well.

You'd may well think we don't play football up here any more. And with the total absence of the facilities I used to play around on (shittily) in my youth, that's very almost true. Thanks Tories! More apartments built on playing fields please. We'll need somewhere to practice our high skilled cleaning jobs since you also took our industry.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Mar 2016, 15:08

Not quite the way it went down in this particular qualifying match last year not that I am Football interested in any way:

MON, 07 SEPT 2015EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFYING - GROUP D:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/34063135

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2016, 15:14

Did we qualify? Did we fuck!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Eu ... qualifying

Scotland can still score every now and then. But winning has never been a strong point. The second oldest national team in the world, we used to make up the numbers in the first rounds of events; never got past a group stage in all football history! But nowadays even qualifying is too much. Pretty desperate.

Slom

18 Mar 2016, 18:22

Muirium wrote: I want to rename this thread to Football. We're mostly proud Europeans around here. Enough pussyfooting to American tastes!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football ... that's what I call it when people start to argue soccer vs. football :D

also:

The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association".

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2016, 19:25

Caring more about words than sports as I do! I'll just point out that I've literally never heard anyone refer to the game as "soccer" over here. That name only ever comes up when disambiguation for Americans is required. So the names of computer games and forum threads, and that's about it.

I don't know if Americans often refer to their alternate football game as college football. But that's what I call it when required, as opposed to "American football", which seems unlikely! Anyway, that sport very seldom comes up in conversation outside the US as is not widely followed in the rest of the world. We already have football, with a World Cup with more than one continent competing!

Slom

18 Mar 2016, 19:42

ohh ... slight misunderstanding I think. We are on the same side here (on/of(?) both, ie. regarding designating as football the game you actually play with your foot as well as the big pond (well you are almost :D))

TIL that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gridiron_football is a cool name for the american thing ;)

Back on Topic: Looking forward to Dortmund vs. Liverpool. Though the really interesting German team (for me) is another one with the same colours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_Dresden.

Eastern Germany is almost like Scotland ... only we don't even have a national team anymore :mrgreen:

jou

19 Mar 2016, 01:16

My experience with football (the sport you play with feet and ball)
  • Opportunity to not giving a fuck (I always root for the team whose fans make less noise when winning)
  • I don't need a particular reason to get drunk
  • There are more interesting things to watch involving 22 men

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 Mar 2016, 02:28

Sorry Mu, I didn't mean to raise your pitchforks I'm just used to using the "soccer" term. I agree with you, though, "football" is definitely the correct term!

In Portugal football is pretty much the only sport people follow and they are very passionate about it. It's like they either don't care about football at all or are some diehard fans that get extremely angry when their team loses a match :D I enjoy football but if my team is not playing I'll probably change channel.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Mar 2016, 01:15

Americans tend to become soccer/football fans when they want to feel more European. Myself, I just found a French woman.

American football, well, that has transformed into an extended corporate advertising/gambling/entertainment event bonanza.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

13 Apr 2016, 22:42

The champions league dream is dead :(

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Apr 2016, 02:15

Who is left to cheer for? Athlético, because they are the only non-mega club left?

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

14 Apr 2016, 11:17

Well, I'm cheering for Bayern. At least I'll have the moral consolation of losing against the guys who won it all.

cookie

14 Apr 2016, 11:27

Spikebolt wrote: Any soccer fans around?
It's called Football, not soccer.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

14 Apr 2016, 11:31

I didn't mean it as an offense, I'm just used to the term soccer because it's not ambiguous :)

lolpes

14 Apr 2016, 11:48

Spikebolt wrote: The champions league dream is dead :(
Yeah :( I am a bit salty at the refs decisions but well that was a fair result :)

And I discovered that I hate UK casters even more than the Portuguese ones: "Bayern's Goal keeper was a bit distracted because he didn't have much to do all game, and that explains the first goal.... " :evil:

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

02 May 2016, 23:06

Congrats to any Leicester fan out there!! What a season!!!

Return to “Off-topic”