photo of the day

berserkfan

05 Apr 2016, 10:39

I have been very bothered by the rules here limiting the size and number of photographs, as well as their inability to upload everything in one shot...

So here's a Photo of the Day. Taken with my usual incompetence, so there is a shiny mark from the flash.

I know it's gonna make people talk. But what are they going to say when they see this?
Toilet Etiquette.jpg
Toilet Etiquette.jpg (655.66 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

andrewjoy

05 Apr 2016, 10:44

Funny you should post that , the last hotel i was in in 'nam had that next to the toilet( exact same image).

Its because in the far east the used to use this contraption

Once the more civilised western toilet came to the far east they switched but i think some die hard fans still like to squat like an animal to crap hence the sign.

vaxxi

05 Apr 2016, 11:31

The squatting-style toilet is actually considered to be healthier than the "throne" toilets.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/life ... ay-healthy

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... uat-or-sit

andrewjoy

05 Apr 2016, 11:54

I will take the risk. I am all open to other cultures and ideas but some things are just better, this is one of them.

Like chopsticks vs knife and fork , chopsticks make sense for some things like sticky rice , noodles and share platters of spring rolls or something for this type of food they are superior in my opinion as they make less mess. but for everything else the knife and fork is better, i mean how are you suposed to take meat off the bone with chopsticks ?

berserkfan

05 Apr 2016, 12:13

andrewjoy wrote: I will take the risk. I am all open to other cultures and ideas but some things are just better, this is one of them.

Like chopsticks vs knife and fork , chopsticks make sense for some things like sticky rice , noodles and share platters of spring rolls or something for this type of food they are superior in my opinion as they make less mess. but for everything else the knife and fork is better, i mean how are you suposed to take meat off the bone with chopsticks ?
Haha, it depends on how food is prepared and presented I guess.

I always amused my Western friends when studying abroad. I eat rice with fork and spoon. But I eat salads, and often pizza, with chopsticks and knife. Yes, you take the meat off the bone with chopsticks and knife. Chopsticks hold the bone - fork can't hold the bone.

Halvar

05 Apr 2016, 12:54

andrewjoy wrote: Funny you should post that , the last hotel i was in in 'nam had that next to the toilet( exact same image).

Once the more civilised western toilet came to the far east they switched but i think some die hard fans still like to squat like an animal to crap hence the sign.
I have seen similar forms in Europe a long time ago, too, particularly in France. They seem to have slowly died out in the last 20 years though.

For a public toilet they are probably more hygienic, but in hotel rooms where they are cleaned every day I definitely prefer the comfort of the seat form.

Chyros

05 Apr 2016, 12:58

andrewjoy wrote: Funny you should post that , the last hotel i was in in 'nam had that next to the toilet( exact same image).

LUXURY! When I was in Lombok in Indonesia, our toilet was a hole in the ground, and our toilet paper looked like this:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Apr 2016, 13:00

Halvar wrote: For a public toilet they are probably more hygienic, but in hotel rooms where they are cleaned every day I definitely prefer the comfort of the seat form.
I've never seen a public toilet without seat that's not completely fucked up with pee and shit all around.

ba7777
飞不动的加林查

05 Apr 2016, 13:06

berserkfan wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: I will take the risk. I am all open to other cultures and ideas but some things are just better, this is one of them.

Haha, it depends on how food is prepared and presented I guess.

I always amused my Western friends when studying abroad. I eat rice with fork and spoon. But I eat salads, and often pizza, with chopsticks and knife. Yes, you take the meat off the bone with chopsticks and knife. Chopsticks hold the bone - fork can't hold the bone.
As a traditional Chinese I would love to use chopsticks for every kind of food expect those in liquid form.

need

05 Apr 2016, 13:12

Chyros wrote:

LUXURY! When I was in Lombok in Indonesia, our toilet was a hole in the ground, and our toilet paper looked like this:

I'm pretty sure that's for flushing. :P

7bit

05 Apr 2016, 13:15

im003468a.jpg
im003468a.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
:o
im003474a.jpg
im003474a.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
:? :shock:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Apr 2016, 13:30

IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG (935.69 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
In Germany this is called "Altbau". :mrgreen:

Looks like that's 7bit's keycap "factory". :evilgeek:

Chyros

05 Apr 2016, 13:45

need wrote:
Chyros wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's for flushing. :P
It's *ALSO* for flushing xD . What you're supposed to do is, after you've taken a shit, you pour some water over your left hand, then you kind of spoon out the shit chunks from your ass crack with your hand, and then you pour more water over your hand to wash it.

Unsurprisingly, in countries where this happens, you only shake people's hands with your right hand; doing it with your left is considered EXTREMELY impolite :p .

scottc

05 Apr 2016, 13:47

Jesus fucking christ on a bicycle that is some detailed description, Chyros.

7bit

05 Apr 2016, 13:48

Chyros wrote: ...
Unsurprisingly, in countries where this happens, you only shake people's hands with your right hand; doing it with your left is considered EXTREMELY impolite :p .
I always use my right hand for this ...
:oops:
seebart wrote: Looks like that's 7bit's keycap "factory". :evilgeek:
No, my mechanical toilet collection.
:ugeek:

Want some?
:evilgeek:

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Apr 2016, 14:03

edit - cartoon removed because it was in such repugnantly poor taste

then returned as the mood descended
Attachments
gas-station-toilet.jpg
gas-station-toilet.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Last edited by fohat on 06 Apr 2016, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

cookie

06 Apr 2016, 09:55

speaking of incompetence to take a picture, nothing beats terrible presented and shot food pictures: http://someoneatethis.tumblr.com/

I know, topic is far from nasty toilets but I believe these are a reason why public toilets are covered in faeces.

Chyros

06 Apr 2016, 10:27

scottc wrote: Jesus fucking christ on a bicycle that is some detailed description, Chyros.
I am known for my detailed descriptions and analogues of things Image .

derzemel

06 Apr 2016, 10:58

picture of the day you say?
Saw this when I was going for a coffee:

Somebody fucked of bad at hiding stuff from her/his partner. Even if there was a copious amount of toiled paper and flour thrown over white wet paint, I did not see any shit on it, but I did not check the door handles :lol:

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2016, 11:05

Chyros wrote: It's *ALSO* for flushing xD . What you're supposed to do is, after you've taken a shit, you pour some water over your left hand, then you kind of spoon out the shit chunks from your ass crack with your hand, and then you pour more water over your hand to wash it.

Would it not be better to just let it dry and then pick it off.

berserkfan

06 Apr 2016, 15:57

I had a good laugh at the responses.

Then it started going into Twilight Zone territory.

between andrewjoy and chyros, I don't know what to say.

How about you guys avoid all that hassle, and just use your underwear as the toilet paper? You can always buy disposables.

ohaimark
Kingpin

06 Apr 2016, 16:31

You'd better not touch ANY mice or keyboards from folks in said countries... Think about the bacteria they grow on those things!

seebart

06 Apr 2016, 16:35

ohaimark wrote: You'd better not touch ANY mice or keyboards from folks in said countries... Think about the bacteria they grow on those things!
Come on just put on the damn rubber gloves and clean the KB's if necessary ohaimark! :mrgreen: If it was a nice enough Alps board I know you would. ;)
berserkfan wrote: I had a good laugh at the responses.
Let's just say you put some life back in our off topic section. ;)

7bit

06 Apr 2016, 16:45

ohaimark wrote: You'd better not touch ANY mice or keyboards from folks in said countries... Think about the bacteria they grow on those things!
You mean most Europeans and Americans just use paper and never wash their ass?
:o :? :shock: :oops:

seebart

06 Apr 2016, 16:50

7bit wrote:
Possibly most of them don't have vintage mechanical toilets like you do. :evilgeek:

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2016, 17:26

7bit wrote:

We wash our ass when we shower !

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Apr 2016, 17:34

Now you make it sound like the family and the neighbours get together to shower and wash each other's ass.

7bit

06 Apr 2016, 17:43

Yes, it is indeed difficult to wash your own ass.
:-)

But thats where the toilet brush comes into play ...
:o

At least ducks bath every day and never use their hands.
:cool:

seebart

06 Apr 2016, 17:46

Right, for ducks the ass-washing is automatic. :lol: Nature in it's brilliance. :mrgreen:

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2016, 17:52

but then they swim in there own crap.

Return to “Off-topic”