Hi, Im Oscar. What is your preferred gaming switch?

anon420

12 Jul 2016, 02:28

Hi Deskthority,

I'm Oscar. Just thought Id stop by and introduce myself! :D

I'm in the process of making an authority site for a whole bunch of keyboards, mainly surrounding the gaming niche.

My favorite switch for gaming is a cherry mx brown, however I dont mind the standard razer switch either.

I would be interested to learn what your personal favorite is?

Regards,
Oscar

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Jul 2016, 02:34

Welcome to DT. This is remarkably keyboard related for the OT forum. ;)

Making a website is a pretty big endeavor -- I wish you the best of luck. Don't let your ambition outrun your time and energy. Getting burnt out is the fastest way to kill a project. Make a game plan with incremental steps to keep things moving.

MX Browns aren't the worst switch I've used, but they don't seem ideal for gaming. Tactility just doesn't float my boat.

I'm working with o-ringed Gateron Clears -- they're an ultra light linear with a high activation point. I think high activation and smooth actuation are vital for good gaming switches.

anon420

12 Jul 2016, 02:42

Do the O-rings change the function of the switch? Or just dampen the sound?

Do you know the actuation pressure in grams?

Also what are the rules regarding linking on this forum etc? Im still in the process of writing content so my site isnt looking too pretty at the moment :)

Thanks for the reply!

Chyros

12 Jul 2016, 02:47

I do really well with linear Alps. I've also found the BTC foam and foil with Mitsumi mod to be surprisingly effective.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Jul 2016, 03:00

@anon

Yes, they change some aspects of the switch.

The o-rings reduce the travel distance, reduce the noise from bottom out, and soften the bottom out. I find that the switches activate almost exactly at the adjusted bottom out point, which is great for spamming keys.

Gateron clears are approximately 35g.

We generally aren't too fussy about linked content so long as it isn't malicious or spammy.

@Chyros ~ I'm with you. Linear + decent weight + high activation point = Alps.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Jul 2016, 03:15

I don't game but my teenage son does. He likes MX black with O-rings in a Filco TKL.

Sometime I will do Chyros's linear mod to a Dell AT101W and see what he thinks about that.

tp4tissue

12 Jul 2016, 08:30

Well the upcoming analog switches are gonna make most keyboards of today obsolete..

So.. kind of a pointless discussion.. :lol:

Thumper
knock knock

12 Jul 2016, 08:57

I game on Clear Zealios R1 with 55g springs - Plate mounted.

In the past i gamed with Topre, Browns, Blacks, Reds, Purple Zealios and Blues, but the Clear Zealios are the best imo.

Khers

12 Jul 2016, 09:25

I don't game much, but when I do I prefer to do so on my HHKB.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jul 2016, 09:48

Lightweight linear is my first choice. Cherry MX Red or Cherry MX Black with 45gr. springs work best for me.

derzemel

12 Jul 2016, 10:01

I have gamed on Buckling Spring, MX Blues, Browns, Blacks, Vintage Blacks with 55Gram springs and 45 Gram Topre.
Until now... the linear vintage 55Gram Blacks have been the nicest for gaming, followed close by Topre.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Jul 2016, 12:21

tp4tissue wrote: Well the upcoming analog switches are gonna make most keyboards of today obsolete..

So.. kind of a pointless discussion.. :lol:
Not obsolete. Just different. Many games benefit from varying speeds, but most are designed with two in mind; fast/run and walk/slow. I don't expect the gaming industry to adopt that tech completely as they'll continue catering to lowest common denominator rubber domes.

The games that benefit from speed steps also tend to benefit from a controller or custom controller. I'm thinking driving genres in particular. Beyond driving games and games with intense physics, such as puzzle or construction genres, I don't think we'll see heavy adoption of such tech.

BimboBB

12 Jul 2016, 12:33

But nowadays the trend in pc games is going more and more towards console games. Just look at all these "blockbuster" games likes GTA, Tomb Raider, Just Cause, Witcher etc.. They all support controllers from the consoles which are usally even the lead platform. Means the analogue movement isnt something what needs to be adopt to....its already there and analogue switches are just late to the party. :)

Chyros

12 Jul 2016, 13:27

I think there is only one solution to this problem. Kill all console gamers. This will solve many problems all at the same time Image .

andrewjoy

12 Jul 2016, 13:44

Chyros wrote: I think there is only one solution to this problem. Kill all console gamers. This will solve many problems all at the same time Image .
All hail the glorious PC gaming master race!

Honestly its not fucking complicated developers:

Have a UI that scales correctly from the start , it will make things super easy for you when you have to tweak it later down the line.

Do not lock your physics to the frame-rate , thats just lazy and fucking stupid, it was not acceptable on the megadrive even less so now.

Frame rate trumps graphics , i know your marketing lobsters tell you otherwise but people can feel the difference 30 fps is not acceptable for a bloody text mode browser its defiantly not acceptable for a fast paced action game, the only time it is would be something like south park where you are trying to imitate the animations of the show and even then there should be an option to unlock it.

We have controllers on PC , i use them for some things but your game should never REQUIRE it ( i am looking at you brothers ) if your game cannot work on the default input deice , don't bother. Just like you should not REQUIRE a keyboard and mouse for anything on a console as they don't have them as default.

Yes an FOV slider is an accessibility feature , put it in along with colourblind mode high contrast mode etc.

Motion blur .... stop just stop.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Jul 2016, 13:48

The analog support is there, true, but developers who port games would be laughed out of their studios if their game had a keyboard switch requirement. It would probably drop their sales.

I can see supporting all three types of input, but the games will likely be optimized for the cheapest keyboards. That's where the most money is. Any synchronicity with analog keyboards will simply be an extension of controller support, if not a series of third party hacks and software to make everything mesh when the developers ignore the new keyboard tech.

Chyros

12 Jul 2016, 15:42

The following things can get absolutely fucked:
-motion blur
-depth of field
-camera bob/sway (makes me motion sick)
-those games where everything looks blue or green or orange
-those games where it looks like everything is misty or dusty
-consoles
-consoles
-consoles

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jul 2016, 20:29

Anyone looking for the proper game for a mechanical keyboard, try the new Doom.

Chyros

12 Jul 2016, 20:50

Wodan wrote: Anyone looking for the proper game for a mechanical keyboard, try the new Doom.
how about the OLD Doom? :D

emdude
Model M Apologist

12 Jul 2016, 20:53

Chyros wrote:
Wodan wrote: Anyone looking for the proper game for a mechanical keyboard, try the new Doom.
how about the OLD Doom? :D
This is the correct answer.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jul 2016, 21:18

pffft play it already ... They've done a great job bringing the spirit of OG Doom into a modern game.

emdude
Model M Apologist

12 Jul 2016, 21:20

Wodan wrote: pffft play it already ... They've done a great job bringing the spirit of OG Doom into a modern game.
I would! ... if I didn't have a potato of a PC; watching playthroughs had to suffice for me. Aside from the arena parts, it looked pretty fun.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Jul 2016, 21:27

That's true, that game has petty high specs, even my i2500k and Radeon 7970 are border line.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Jul 2016, 21:43

NOW this thread is properly OT. :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jul 2016, 21:45

Nvidia GTX9xx video cards are phased out and available for cheap if anyone is planning to upgrade ;)

chooo chooo all aboard the OT train !!!

Khers

12 Jul 2016, 21:49

Can I put that in my macbook? [/brownfont]

Morgan

21 Jul 2016, 05:24

Gateron MX Yellow Switch

y11971alex

27 Jul 2016, 01:14

andrewjoy wrote:
Chyros wrote: I think there is only one solution to this problem. Kill all console gamers. This will solve many problems all at the same time Image .
All hail the glorious PC gaming master race!

Honestly its not fucking complicated developers:

Have a UI that scales correctly from the start , it will make things super easy for you when you have to tweak it later down the line.

Do not lock your physics to the frame-rate , thats just lazy and fucking stupid, it was not acceptable on the megadrive even less so now.

Frame rate trumps graphics , i know your marketing lobsters tell you otherwise but people can feel the difference 30 fps is not acceptable for a bloody text mode browser its defiantly not acceptable for a fast paced action game, the only time it is would be something like south park where you are trying to imitate the animations of the show and even then there should be an option to unlock it.

We have controllers on PC , i use them for some things but your game should never REQUIRE it ( i am looking at you brothers ) if your game cannot work on the default input deice , don't bother. Just like you should not REQUIRE a keyboard and mouse for anything on a console as they don't have them as default.

Yes an FOV slider is an accessibility feature , put it in along with colourblind mode high contrast mode etc.

Motion blur .... stop just stop.
Graphics fucking matters. Look at all the fun coming out at 60 fps. Just look at his expression. ;)

Return to “Off-topic”