Please allow me to introduce myself

macboarder

03 Aug 2016, 13:40

Hello everyone, my name is (or rather, translates to) Thomas and I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself before my screen name starts popping up in various threads. I'm a Polish expat currently living in Norway, which makes the procurement of vintage 80s and 90s input devices a tad complicated :) Nonetheless, after coming across this here website (and the video review series of one Mr. Chyros) and expanding my knowledge about mechanical keyboards greatly, I managed to procure a few interesting specimens.
I work as an iOS developer, so I use Macs pretty much all the time, and I was thinking of doing a simple review/gosh-how-do-I-use-this-I-mean-it-doesn't-even-have-Windows-keys video series with the keyboards that I have. To my knowledge (and only cursory googling) nobody has made a series dedicated solely to the Macs. I do realize it will be mostly "Karabiner setup 101" but it might end up being a fun project, if nothing else (and a great excuse de-rust my video editing skills, I used to do that a lot).

Cheers!

scottc

03 Aug 2016, 13:47

Hey Thomas! (Or should I say Tomasz? ;))

Welcome to DT! I'm sure your intro to ancient keyboards on OS X (or macOS, or whatever, AHH) would be useful for some people here. I normally just use OS X's inbuilt keyboard config to remap the modifiers if I don't have a programmable board or programmable converter but something more sophisticated might be good.

Chyros

03 Aug 2016, 13:58

Ah, another Thomas, welcome! I presume it's actually Tomasz, right? Glad you're liking the videos, and good luck with the Mac series! :)

macboarder

03 Aug 2016, 14:07

"Tomasz" is very correct indeed :) I usually conduct myself online as "Tommy" as I think it's easier on the tongue for most people and I also love The Who :)
Thanks for the encouragement, now I have no doubts I want to make it happen :)

scottc

03 Aug 2016, 16:19

Ah, it's pretty easy, it's no Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz. ;)

chuckdee

03 Aug 2016, 16:56

Are you a man of wealth and taste? ;)

Chyros

03 Aug 2016, 17:02

Sounds legit xD .

Also, Dr Strangelove, great film ^^ .

chuckdee

03 Aug 2016, 17:30

I was thinking more Rolling Stones/Fallen. Haven't seen Dr Strangelove.

macboarder

03 Aug 2016, 17:46

@scottc Well done :]

@Chyros Well brilliant film, that.

@chuckdee "Sympathy For The Devil" is by far my #1 favorite song lyrics-wise, well done :)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

03 Aug 2016, 19:55

Just watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time. Good lord.

Chyros

03 Aug 2016, 22:01

vivalarevolución wrote: Just watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time. Good lord.
Ze whole point of ze Doomsday Machine is lost if you keep it a secret, vhy didn't you tell ze vorld, eh?!

Khers

03 Aug 2016, 22:07

It's a fantastic movie. Easily one of the three best movies I've ever seen.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Aug 2016, 23:40

My 16-year-old son and I have been watching all of Kubrick's movies in chronological order and we are up to Full Metal Jacket next. I am often blown away, and he likes them well enough, but they do tend to be slow (artiness, you know).

For a 1st feature, The Killing is superb, but Strangelove is really probably the best. 2001 and The Shining are over-rated and Barry Lyndon is just too too long.

emdude
Model M Apologist

03 Aug 2016, 23:44

Ouch, I have not watched all of Kubrick's films, but I love both 2001 and The Shining, both absolutely superb films and not at all overrated IMO. It has been a little while since I watched Dr. Strangelove but I don't think I cared for it as much as you guys do. Perhaps another viewing is in order.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Aug 2016, 23:56

emdude wrote:
both absolutely superb films
All Kubrick is absolutely superb. He is as good a director as has ever lived.

emdude
Model M Apologist

03 Aug 2016, 23:57

Very true! :D I'll definitely have to give Dr. Strangelove a rewatch and then his other films that I have not been able to get around to seeing yet.

Chyros

04 Aug 2016, 00:15

emdude wrote: Ouch, I have not watched all of Kubrick's films, but I love both 2001 and The Shining, both absolutely superb films and not at all overrated IMO. It has been a little while since I watched Dr. Strangelove but I don't think I cared for it as much as you guys do. Perhaps another viewing is in order.
Fockstha? 2001 practically invented the modern sci-fi film and is sill among the best of them — even if, granted, it's EXTREMELY slow-paced. The Shining is easily in my top three best horror films ever made (together with The Ring and The Thing).

I consider Kubrick to be the best film director of all time, and his films — including 2001 and The Shining — to be so good they virtually transcend the definition of a "film". Hence why I included Kubrick-inspired intros in my Alps Trilogy ^^ .

macboarder

04 Aug 2016, 00:33

Oh man, The Shining... I need to rewatch that, it's been a while.

Chyros

04 Aug 2016, 12:19

Oh yeah, by the way, Tomasz, we get off-topic around here :p . Part of what makes this place great ;) .

derzemel

04 Aug 2016, 12:27

Chyros wrote: Oh yeah, by the way, Tomasz, we get off-topic around here :p . Part of what makes this place great ;) .
Oh, yes, that thread kidnapping is very real here on DT.

The alternative name for Deskthority is Oftopicurity

macboarder

04 Aug 2016, 13:19

Not a problem in my book :) And more folks being introduced to Dr Strangelove is always appreciated :]

Return to “Off-topic”