PSA: If you are using HDMI, check for full 0-255 RGB support

ohaimark
Kingpin

28 Nov 2016, 10:47

If you are using an HDMI cable to connect your computer to something, make sure your graphics card AND screen are using the full 0-255 rgb range (if it's supported by your screen). Graphics cards often default to the limited 16-235 range, which is craptacular. It provides roughly half the full mode's contrast and chops some colors off.

See this for a comparison:
See this for a fix:
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correc ... -amd-gpus/

I JUST learned about this, and it annoys me to no end that I didn't know about it before.

andrewjoy

28 Nov 2016, 11:33

Use a modern connection like dispayport :P or don't use a peasant resolution like 1080p and use 1600p 4k or 4k DCI ( yeh keep dreaming andrew :P)

Thanks for the heads up however on the tip as this has made me think to check that my monitor is using the correct colourspace. I think i will set it to ypbpr 4.4.4 chroma

There is also some very slight black on white ghosting dunno if a custom res will help but getting my monitor to display 4k 60 and not 4k 30 was a pain as window would refuse to let me use displayport 1.4 even tho the monitor was set to it , some plugging and unplugging got it to work just about. i suspect a crappy cable , anyone know of a good dispayport 1.4 rated cable ( 3 m).

If only everything used SDI it would be simple :( a man can dream .

Then again this is a problem with large VA panels and 40 inches is as big as it gets for VA :P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Nov 2016, 11:45

Saw the video in the OP.
1. Between both half-screens I see almost no difference, and certainly not such a difference that it would bother me.
2. Do you guys really "play" that kind of things and really call it a "game"?

andrewjoy

28 Nov 2016, 11:52

I notice a slight improvement on scenes with lots of colour ( when i watch the video) , but considering the whole game is in mud brown and gun metal grey you would not notice on that video so much.

Get a game with loads of colours you will notice it.

chzel

28 Nov 2016, 12:28

The most noticeable difference would be in the black point and in contrast, not in colours that much.

Django2donat

23 Dec 2018, 05:52

ohaimark wrote: If you are using an HDMI cable to connect your computer to something, make sure your graphics card AND screen are using the full 0-255 rgb range (if it's supported by your screen). Graphics cards often default to the limited 16-235 range, which is craptacular. It provides roughly half the full mode's contrast and chops some colors off.

See this for a comparison:
See this for a fix:
spam

I JUST learned about this, and it annoys me to no end that I didn't know about it before.
What about the high resolution game??

Return to “Off-topic”