A new laptop

lancre

30 Dec 2016, 14:40

HuBandiT wrote: Any 16:10 screens in sight? I'm still on W500 because of that...
Isn't that Google Pixel 16:10?

I'm sure there's a blog out there to tell you how to remove Chrome OS and replace it with Arch and spend about 4 months configuring the wireless driver, graphics driver, hidpi, audio, trackpad...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Dec 2016, 15:39

matt3o wrote: just for completeness, these are the leaked specs https://benchlife.info/lenovo-thinkpad- ... -12122016/

14" WQHD display (with touch option)
2x thunderbolt 3
IR Camera option (!?!?!?!?)
7th gen intel
LTE option
15.5 hours battery life (!!!!)
lighter/smaller

It's a really beautiful machine, but the X1 has always been plagued by all kind of issues... honestly the yoga 910 has very similar specs and costs less... I'll wait for CES anyway.
CES is next week, definitely interested to see what is rolled out. Vegas anyone?

That 15.5 hour battery life might come from some kind of external or protruding battery option, as we see on the beefier Thinkpads. The only way you get that kind of battery life in an ultrabook with an internal battery is by filling half or more of the internal space with the battery. It's possible they reduced the size of the motherboard to fit more battery in there.

The X1 Carbon is sort of anomoly of the Thinkpad line. Thinkpads are known for being user upgradeable, reliable, durable, good keyboard feel, and somewhat affordable (if you catch a sale), at the sacrifice of style and size. The X1 Carbon sacrifices ease of user upgrades, keyboard feel, affordability, and seemingly reliability, mostly for thinness and weight savings.

That said, it is an appealing device that I probably would buy if I wanted to drop that kind of coin on a laptop, because no other ultrabook offers the size and weight benefits of an ultrabook with many of the features of a Thinkpad (mil-spec ratings, Trackpoint, plethora of ports, included stowable pen).

Norman_

30 Dec 2016, 17:42

Don't know if you say any of lenovo's pre CES announcements. It's all the thinkpads without X1 in the name

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... es-2017/6/

That article has a good enough summary

face

30 Dec 2016, 20:48

Unfortunately we can't hope for 16:10 :( Always liked that about my Macbook. But at least they have 14" screens.

I'll probably get the T470s.

HuBandiT

30 Dec 2016, 21:17

lancre wrote:
HuBandiT wrote: Any 16:10 screens in sight? I'm still on W500 because of that...
Isn't that Google Pixel 16:10?

I'm sure there's a blog out there to tell you how to remove Chrome OS and replace it with Arch and spend about 4 months configuring the wireless driver, graphics driver, hidpi, audio, trackpad...
Oh, does not sound fun... however, apologies, I never mentioned: I am currently locked into Windows due to one half of my work (so in my lap I keep my penguins running in virtual machines for the other half of my work).

( Looks like my only upgrade option is a W701 then... :) )

HuBandiT

30 Dec 2016, 21:26

face wrote: Unfortunately we can't hope for 16:10 :( Always liked that about my Macbook. But at least they have 14" screens.

I'll probably get the T470s.
Technically, one can always hope. :P But I know what you mean, sadly. And then also these island or islet keys or how they are called (I despised them on my 17" work MBP for years).... Looks like I'll need to stock up on old machines then. (Or do a screen retrofit - well, not technically retro, since you are fitting something old into something new - into a new machine.)

face

31 Dec 2016, 11:32

At least my old Macbook will sell better, now that the new one is like it is.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

31 Dec 2016, 15:33

face wrote: At least my old Macbook will sell better, now that the new one is like it is.
I wonder if used prices of those have shot up to near what they sold for new, which happened with the Mac Mini a couple years ago when they did the refresh without a quad-core option. The previous generation quad-core options were selling near the price they original sold for.

face

31 Dec 2016, 15:45

No, this hasn't happened (yet). But the prices are very stable and a little bit higher than expected with the 2015 Macbook still in sales.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Jan 2017, 15:04

Any laptops catch anyone's eye at CES? I saw that Dell came out with a 2-in-1 XPS (with M-core processors :cry:) and also the Latitude 5285 with i-core processors, basically a Surface Pro clone.

Lenovo's X1 Carbon is smaller and lighter than ever, thanks to drastically reduced screen bezels.

face

04 Jan 2017, 15:13

Lenovo finally features Thunderbolt 3 and Kaby Lake. Somehow the T470s isn't at their website, but I will get one in February I think.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jan 2017, 15:32

is CES started already?!

face

04 Jan 2017, 15:42

Tomorrow. But a lot of companies couldn't wait to announce their products...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jan 2017, 15:53

the new carbon is sexy. problem being everything seems to be available starting from March...

Thumper
knock knock

04 Jan 2017, 15:55

matt3o wrote: the new carbon is sexy. problem being everything seems to be available starting from March...
As an owner of a 4th gen X1C, i'm happy about the direction they go with the Carbon lineup.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Jan 2017, 17:02

matt3o wrote: the new carbon is sexy. problem being everything seems to be available starting from March...
Yea, that's the nature of CES, the revealed products usually aren't available until a few months later. Even then, you won't be getting discounted prices for awhile and Linux hardware compatibility has not been tested like with last year's devices.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Jan 2017, 17:15

I'm happy with my new Dell XPS15. No coil whine.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jan 2017, 17:23

webwit wrote: I'm happy with my new Dell XPS15. No coil whine.
not sure but I believe it's an XPS13 issue

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jan 2017, 09:44

chuckdee

05 Jan 2017, 13:44

matt3o wrote:
webwit wrote: I'm happy with my new Dell XPS15. No coil whine.
not sure but I believe it's an XPS13 issue
Not all XPS13, however.

face

05 Jan 2017, 21:32

Ah, I don't care too much about the XPS anymore. Had an XPS2015 though 5 years ago - first the harddrive died (got it repaired), then the GPU after 2 years so no warranty (had it repaired), then the motherboard.

But the point where your heel of hand lies below the keyboard - I hope you know what I am talking about - was the weirdest thing ever. It was made out of brushed aluminium back then and I always thought "No, this doesn't feels awkward, like somehow tickling, your imagining this" until it started to develop electro corrosion. Where my hand lay holes started to appear and the alu startet getting matte.

It may seem harsh, but I somehow expect a electronics manufacturer to get this electro thing right. I wanted to give it another try, but even the existence of this coil whine thing turns me off so much I won't buy it. The offer had been too good anyway. Not saying the new Lenovos are better (though I hope they are), but you know personal experience - I don't want to give it a new try.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jan 2017, 21:49

face wrote: Had an XPS2015 though 5 years ago
Is that you, Mr. Titor? :mrgreen:

andrewjoy

06 Jan 2017, 11:21

I blame lead free solder for all the system board failures .

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Mar 2017, 16:17

finally got this beauty

I'll play with it for a bit and report back

andrewjoy

08 Mar 2017, 16:43

NICE! , that new lenovo logo tho .......... yuck!

I bet you also miss the real thinkpad keyboard :)

Looks very sexy , is that a semi matt screen ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Mar 2017, 20:26

the screen is matte indeed. So far I'm loving it... with the exception of the OS of course but I guess I still can put linux on it. I'll play with it on win for a bit, then I'll decide.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Mar 2017, 21:41

Whoa baby! Is that the new one with Kaby Lake? Looks like it with those thin bezels. What's the screen resolution?
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 09 Mar 2017, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Mar 2017, 23:14

yes. it's the new one. Screen is a standard 1080p

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2017, 23:18

Congrats!

P.S. Now you're spied on by both the CIA and the Chinese ;)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

09 Mar 2017, 04:36

matt3o wrote: yes. it's the new one. Screen is a standard 1080p
Cool. Look forward to further thoughts.

Return to “Off-topic”