New Year's resolutions!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2016, 15:16

So what's your new year resolution for 2017?! (and the first who says "4K" gets banned :P)

Mine are:

- Install new forum software for DT
- Buy new house with gigantic mancave
- Complete my "how to build a custom keyboard" book
- Try to be less of an asshole
- Keep hating humanity (yeah, I know...)

Also did you manage to actually accomplish any of your last year's resolutions?

2016 was terrible for me under every aspect, so I guess I accomplished to get through it alive. Yay!

Ratfink

23 Dec 2016, 15:19

matt3o wrote: - Try to be less of an asshole
- Keep hating humanity
I'm pretty sure you can only do one of these at a time. :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2016, 15:20

Ratfink wrote:
matt3o wrote: - Try to be less of an asshole
- Keep hating humanity
I'm pretty sure you can only do one of these at a time. :mrgreen:
you stripped out "(yeah, I know...)"

chuckdee

23 Dec 2016, 16:23

So many people hate 2016 (even a sub-reddit for it). I had some bad stuff in 2016, but I have bad stuff every year. And though I had some really poignant moments, I had some wow moments to offset it. Is it because the world today and social media has conditioned us to look more at the negatives rather than the positives?

And as far as my resolutions- I have the old chestnut to get in better shape, but I've already been working on that to take it out of the resolve and quit bucket hopefully. Same with writing and guitar. Also, it's to try to listen more than I speak (or write) and consider before responding. And hopefully, unless it has more than a zero sum, stop responding.

And I can say that you have been a constant source of surprise and wonder just in my short time in the keyboard community (which was one of the upsides of 2016 for me- learning about mechanicals and 'meeting' so many different, varied, and overall nice people)

Muirium
µ

23 Dec 2016, 17:16

Well, I managed to lose a fair bit of weight this year. Don't even remember if it was a resolution, as it's something I've been meaning to do since I was a kid. But I don't know if "resolution" is quite the word when stress was what did it quite automatically for me, rather than my resolve…

Probably the best thing I can do next year is kick back and ignore politics completely. (I voted against Brexit, I saw Trump as a serious threat already this time last year, though rarely admitted it!, and I voted for independence in 2014 so fuck all of this. Fat load of good being right did me.) I'm sure politics find me when it must, whether I like it or not.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Dec 2016, 17:56

I plan to complete an orbit around a star at 30 km/s, while orbiting around the center of a galaxy at 220 km/s and simultaneously hurl through space into the unknown at 370 km/s, while typing on keyboards. Can you beat that?!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

23 Dec 2016, 17:57

I'll say 4K just to troll matt3o: I'd like to get to 4K meaningful posts here on DT. :-P

I'd like to get a couple of projects I'm working on done. No further details here since I don't want to get anyone too excited, but, it will take some resolve to get them done!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Dec 2016, 19:40

Humanity is both the source of our greatest joys and greatest sorrows. Finding a stable medium can be difficult. It kinda annoys the crap out of me sometimes. I like these thoughts on hate:

mars

23 Dec 2016, 20:11

1. Study harder to finally get my bachelor's degree
2. Hit the gym again
3. Get serious at learning Japanese
4. Remember to get my hair cut every fortnight

citrojohn

23 Dec 2016, 20:28

I don't usually make resolutions, but this year I've got some.
First is a necessity: I have too much stuff - and not stuff I enjoy having either. There's remnants of former lives, that depress me when i see them; there's things that were given to me that I'm not using, that make me feel guilty; there's things I inherited, that have been sitting in a storage unit for years; and there's an impending need for unoccupied floor space. So I'm going to get rid of a lot of stuff. There will be some sales and giveaways (actually, mostly giveaways) for anyone mad enough to take my electronic rejects!
Second, something more pleasurable: I'm going to give things (that is, things that are actually useful) away. This year has been amazing for me in terms of keyboards - the first mech I've actually owned came to me for free, and two of you guys on DT offered me things I thought I could only gaze at down an HTTPS connection. (You know who you are! :D ) So I want to give a bit of that back in 2017. There will be at least two giveaways, possibly three, maybe more.
Third, I'm going to get some creative projects done. I'm not short on ideas, both daft and not, but somehow they never seem to get any further... but in 2017 I shall see some of them through to completion. So when I turn up asking for hideous keycaps to ruin, you know why... :mrgreen:

emdude
Model M Apologist

23 Dec 2016, 21:44

- Stop buying keyboards.

*cough*

- Buy less keyboards. Much less. :oops: :oops:

- And actually get that endgame so my wallet can finally rest easy??

- I have other hobbies, I'd like to really get back into those..

- Be less of an asshole in general, too.

Chyros

23 Dec 2016, 23:24

-Get fat
-Get lazy
-Get rich

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2016, 00:10

citrojohn wrote: So I'm going to get rid of a lot of stuff. There will be some sales and giveaways (actually, mostly giveaways) for anyone mad enough to take my electronic rejects!
ooooh tell us more about that!
emdude wrote: - I have other hobbies, I'd like to really get back into those..
me too actually. what are your other hobbies? if you don't mind my asking.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Dec 2016, 00:18

We should have a "what's your other hobby" topic. I picked up hiking the past two years.

Norman_

24 Dec 2016, 03:04

-Buy less keyboards...blasphemy, i know.

I ran out of storage space recently :?

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 Dec 2016, 03:04

matt3o wrote:
emdude wrote: - I have other hobbies, I'd like to really get back into those..
me too actually. what are your other hobbies? if you don't mind my asking.
Drawing, mainly! :)

Haven't been doing too much of that the past year because of keyboards, of course, and my computer science studies. :P

lot_lizard

24 Dec 2016, 03:31

• make sure those around me are happy
  • since I am officially "of age" and "good genes" are no longer in play... start working at a healthy lifestyle
  • start researching a second career for 2-3 years from now
  • knock this MF GB out early
  • finally figure out what makes women bat shit crazy since my house is swimming in estrogen (which would entitle me to a Nobel Prize I believe)

derzemel

25 Dec 2016, 10:27

Learn how to write software
Start Learning Japanese
Visit Italy more
Start working for myself and stop being employed by others
Get rich
Ride my bike more
Get a body like The Rock

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

26 Dec 2016, 16:47

I don't make New Year's resolutions. Too much pressure and accountability placed around an arbitrary date. Then I feel like I failed when I don't fulfill the resolutions. My preference is to set a goal or routine at any time of the year, go after it, and reflect on what I have gained and learned, even if I did not achieve the goal.

But in the spirit of the thread, I will say:

-continue giving terrible advice on the Internet to random strangers
-become an even more jaded government employee
-finally buy a vehicle, immediately regret the purchase, and trade it in for a cargo van that I will live out of
-put more effort into maintaining good relationships that one of the involved parties will eventually sabotage
-focus more on long-term planning

citrojohn

29 Dec 2016, 16:04

matt3o wrote:
citrojohn wrote: So I'm going to get rid of a lot of stuff. There will be some sales and giveaways (actually, mostly giveaways) for anyone mad enough to take my electronic rejects!
ooooh tell us more about that!
It's all old stuff - some of it might be useful to someone, the rest is really just for snuci-esque collectors and manic retro fans. So the possibly-useful stuff will have a small price and the rubbish curiosities will be free-to-a-good-home - the one subsidising the other. That's until the useful things don't sell and I have to think of something else. :D

Rough catalogue (NB, I may decide to keep some of this - but not all!)
  • Mixed 90s software and manuals, a lot of the software on 5¼" floppy disks
  • Mid-80s modem
  • BBC Model B, with assorted peripherals and software (anyone fancy a light pen?)
  • Canon Typestar 7 typewriter (spring-over-membrane)
  • 90s hand-held scanner
And only if someone's offering silly money:
  • Sinclair ZX81 with sheet of rubber domes to improve the keyboard feel and a homebrew power switch
  • can't remember the model, but one of those strange L-shaped Chinon cameras from when a zoom lens on a compact justified weirdness in design, with the zoom buttons on the bottom and automatic zoom (!)

ideus

29 Dec 2016, 16:24

Chyros wrote: -Get fat
-Get lazy
-Get rich

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Dec 2016, 16:31

ideus wrote:
Chyros wrote: -Get fat
-Get lazy
-Get rich
I wonder what T-Swift video this is from.

Madhias
BS TORPE

30 Dec 2016, 19:09

matt3o wrote: - Buy new house with gigantic mancave
A big mancave, great! Last or this year I got a mancave, small, but at least I have one now. So for 2017 I will or want to:

- be in mancave as much as possible
- finish one of the 87 projects I started
- convince wife better than in the past to let me go often photographing
- be not lazy in all aspects
- and maybe drink less beer, but I will leave that. Cheers!

zslane

01 Jan 2017, 18:11

If I made New Year's resolutions, which I don't, I guess they would be:

1. Sell off the majority of my unused musical equipment (which includes a couple dozen electric guitars).

2. Clean my apartment...

3. ...which also means selling, donating, or tossing a metric f*ck-ton of other stuff I don't need anymore.
(which will include many recently acquired mech keyboards I won't be using now that RealForce RGB and MX silent red boards are on the market)

Basically I need to unclutter my life. Big time.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jan 2017, 18:18

Let's see how strong you are.

*Waves a shiny custom keyboard in your general direction*

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Jan 2017, 18:23

that reminds me that I have loads of stuff to get rid of...

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jan 2017, 18:27

Is this about your mother-in-law again?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Jan 2017, 18:30

webwit wrote: Is this about your mother-in-law again?
how do you know about that? :shock:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

01 Jan 2017, 18:32

zslane wrote: If I made New Year's resolutions, which I don't, I guess they would be:

1. Sell off the majority of my unused musical equipment (which includes a couple dozen electric guitars).

2. Clean my apartment...

3. ...which also means selling, donating, or tossing a metric f*ck-ton of other stuff I don't need anymore.
(which will include many recently acquired mech keyboards I won't be using now that RealForce RGB and MX silent red boards are on the market)

Basically I need to unclutter my life. Big time.
Your family can do that for you when you die or lose your mind. That seems to be the philosophy in my family, to the detriment of a month of the children's time. I guess that's a small price to for, I don't know, bringing you into this world.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 03 Jan 2017, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

01 Jan 2017, 23:01

I will get my thumb out of my ass and finally buy/build that new desktop PC that I have been obsessing about for quite a while.
BTW, It is not on the list of priorities, but I have been considering a new monitor also: I would on principle never get one that is advertised as "4K UHD". "4K" is a cinema standard that implies 4096 pixel-width and the DCI-P3 colour space: anything less than that is not 4K. Anyone who argues about that gets a punch in the face (if I can reach him from my desk ;) )

Return to “Off-topic”