What are my options? I need a proxy from EU/US.

Shinryuu

05 Jan 2017, 21:22

It's been a while. I've hit an issue I can't really know how to avoid. I'm getting an expensive keyboard from a certain member here and it's being shipped from TX. Finland, the country where I live have pretty strict customs and I have to pay a hell a lot of money for the procedure ie. 12% + 24% = ~60~80€. I'm asking that is it even possible to get a proxy inside a EU without having any trouble or should I be a good boy and pay everything I'm going to face? I wonder does this even feel fair but I pulled the trigger! :roll:
Last edited by Shinryuu on 06 Jan 2017, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.

Findecanor

06 Jan 2017, 01:45

Is it a vintage keyboard, and would it be possible to have it declared on the customs form as a collector's item?
Here in Sweden, I think the toll+tax is even worse for "electronics" but the toll rate for "collectible" is 0%, so that I would have to pay only tax. The items I have received declared as that have been easier to classify as that though.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 Jan 2017, 04:30

I'm guessing it's a Beamspring or a Kishsaver. But from who? I don't think I can help much here - good luck!

Shinryuu

06 Jan 2017, 05:57

Findecanor wrote: Is it a vintage keyboard, and would it be possible to have it declared on the customs form as a collector's item?
Here in Sweden, I think the toll+tax is even worse for "electronics" but the toll rate for "collectible" is 0%, so that I would have to pay only tax. The items I have received declared as that have been easier to classify as that though.
I tried to get some information about that and I'll try to look again from customs site for more information.
XMIT wrote: I'm guessing it's a Beamspring or a Kishsaver. But from who? I don't think I can help much here - good luck!
Ah, right. It's a bolt modded IBM M SSK. I didn't want to put any names here for various reasons but it's our beloved electronics master elecplus I'm getting this from. I tried to look at forwarding services like USGoByu but the estimate for the shipping from them seems to be ultra super overkill.

HuBandiT

06 Jan 2017, 14:46

Findecanor wrote: Here in Sweden, I think the toll+tax is even worse for "electronics"
Isn't computer stuff (nearly) zero toll/customs though? I seem to recall that is the reason digital photo cameras in the EU are limited to below 30 minutes video recording: to fall under computer peripheral category instead of audio&video (which would be consumer electronics)?

HuBandiT

06 Jan 2017, 14:52

Shinryuu wrote: it's our beloved electronics master elecplus I'm getting this from.
I was in talks with elecplus about perhaps shipping some keyboard stuff to me. If that happens, I am willing to bounce your stuff to you from here if you guys arrange to get it to me.

alh84001
v.001

06 Jan 2017, 20:50

What i do is, ship the package to a proxy service in the US (I have two which I prefer), and then have them remove any invoices and declarations. You can then have it declared at for instance $20, and no one will look twice at an old keyboard and give you trouble with it (at least here).

@HuBandiT I don't know how it's in Finland, but where I am, there are no customs for IT equipment (including keyboards), but you still have to pay VAT of 25%, if the value declared is over EUR 20.

Shinryuu

07 Jan 2017, 06:55

HuBandiT wrote:
Shinryuu wrote: it's our beloved electronics master elecplus I'm getting this from.
I was in talks with elecplus about perhaps shipping some keyboard stuff to me. If that happens, I am willing to bounce your stuff to you from here if you guys arrange to get it to me.
This sounds quite a thing and I would be pleased as well. Keyboards are marked as computer electronics here so we have to pay tax for that too. I tried to look at used electronics etc. but we don't seem to have a law or guidance for that kind of thing from customs. Basically; in this country you'll have to pay taxes for everything.
alh84001 wrote: What i do is, ship the package to a proxy service in the US (I have two which I prefer), and then have them remove any invoices and declarations. You can then have it declared at for instance $20, and no one will look twice at an old keyboard and give you trouble with it (at least here).

@HuBandiT I don't know how it's in Finland, but where I am, there are no customs for IT equipment (including keyboards), but you still have to pay VAT of 25%, if the value declared is over EUR 20.
Yeah. Here it's VAT + taxes for the price/shipping. I'm interested in these proxies so if you're determined do to that; please pm me :D

macmakkara

16 Jan 2017, 08:28

Its been a while when i was last here.

But last time i got electronics from outside EU to finland their tax was 0%. Just had to pay 24% VAT of declared value + shipping.

Return to “Off-topic”