Keycap cleaning -

ShivaYash

14 Jan 2017, 16:00

Hello chaps,

I'm really impressed, i$ suggested I clean the keycaps of my Model M with denture cleaning tablets, I did this the other day. Not only are the caps SUPER SUPER SUPER clean, and brighter, but the slight sticky key issue I had, even post screwmodding has finally disappeared. Any ideas as to why this may be the case?

I'm happy eitherway and would recommend this method to any keyboard with sticky keys, if you have tried everything, try this!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Jan 2017, 16:45

Yea, this is a great tip. I like to throw a little dish cleaning soap in there as well. People that visit my apartment alway ask why I have denture tablets, though.

A word of warning for beam springs users, though: on the front printing on beam spring caps is very sensitive and I accidentally washed off some of that with dish soap. Be warned.

ShivaYash

14 Jan 2017, 16:47

Good idea. I think my keys could benefit from another scrub, I use the SSK variant and the layer numpad is still a little grubby, not sure what that says about me ;-)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Jan 2017, 16:51

ShivaYash wrote: Good idea. I think my keys could benefit from another scrub, I use the SSK variant and the layer numpad is still a little grubby, not sure what that says about me ;-)
You're a numerical glutton, that's what it says!

Just kidding. :D

Findecanor

14 Jan 2017, 17:18

Another tip is to put the keycaps in a washing bag of mesh fabric with a zipper. That allows me to wash, rinse and dry the entire bag with contents together without having to count keycaps each time.
These bags can be purchased from almost any store that sells women's lingerie: they were originally made to prevent metal wires in brassieres from escaping and damaging the washing machine.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Jan 2017, 21:53

So now you have dentures tablets and women's lingerie? So many questions...

belowgeek

27 Feb 2017, 14:56

I clean my keycaps by submerging them in water with some liquid soap. Then, I inspect every keycap and when there is dirt build-up inside, I use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean it. It is pretty tedious, but it does the job pretty well.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Feb 2017, 15:10

There is pretty much no alternative to an ultrasonic cleaner if you want to do some serious cleaning done:
photos-f62/ultrasound-keycap-cleaning-t14413.html

Half-Saint

21 Mar 2017, 14:58

For plastics in general I highly recommend Mellerud: https://www.mellerud.de/shop/de/kunstst ... 0-5-l.html

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Mar 2017, 15:56

Half-Saint wrote: For plastics in general I highly recommend Mellerud: https://www.mellerud.de/shop/de/kunstst ... 0-5-l.html
Sheiiiiiiiiiiiit very nice

Return to “Off-topic”