Vintage Games in RGB, Broadcast Monitors and Sexy CRTs

codemonkeymike

13 Mar 2017, 22:55

Andrewjoy you know there are some older video cards which can output S-Video and RGB (480i or "240p"). Not 100% sure why they had RGB maybe it was RGB sync on green for older monitors which required a sync on green signal.

Here is the topic I found them in:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=119740.0

Heard it on this podcast:
http://www.retrorgb.com/podcast

andrewjoy

14 Mar 2017, 00:54

I was just testing custom resolutions to see if it will work and it looks like it will, and i think i can even set it to 15k

Also 240p on a 40 inch LCD looks HUGE!!

micrex22

17 Mar 2017, 14:53

I recently got a 19" RGB Samsung CRT from a coworker, one of the proclaimed "short tube" models. In the advertisements Samsung was really peddling the fact the rear of the chassis was smaller than most. It has a special RGB to VGA cable so I can use it with a standard PC; in this case an old PC of course.

It did require some adjusting in the options to get it perfect (and I had to turn the blue all the way down else it was too yellow), but it's very sharp and the colour is fine now. It's quite breathtaking to see old PC and DOS games on a larger 19" tube especially with sharp scanlines and an amazing fish bowl effect from the larger (sharp) tube.

Am I the only one who likes the fish bowl distortion from a curved CRT?

andrewjoy

17 Mar 2017, 18:55

micrex22 wrote:

Nope i like it too. At least for the right games. Newer stuff ( relative) looks better on later flat triniton style tubes.

That is why one day i want this badboy

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/mod ... m?id=22107

Is that Samsung true RGBs or is it RGBhv ( VGA) ?

Would love it if you could post a few photos or the model number , may be one to keep an eye out for.

snoopy

18 Mar 2017, 14:05

I got a Sony BVM 20F1E and a Bang Olufsen MX8000. Love the RGB picture of both, but they both make a very high pitched noise which drives me crazy. So sadly both haven't seen much use.

Nice thread. I love RGB.

codemonkeymike

18 Mar 2017, 15:31

My 20F1E is not that loud, do you tend to play things without audio?

andrewjoy

18 Mar 2017, 17:49

It may be the fly back wearing out or the PSU could need a re-cap.

My TM20-80R is like that, i cannot even tell that the 14 inch sony is on.

pr0ximity

18 Mar 2017, 20:16

Now I want one for my SNES and N64. Woupd be great for older PC games too I'd imagine.

Mr.Nobody

19 Mar 2017, 06:07

micrex22 wrote:

I only love the scanline, especially the wide flat screen CRT(16:9), kinda hate fishbowl effect as much as EMR.

snoopy

19 Mar 2017, 10:04

codemonkeymike wrote: My 20F1E is not that loud, do you tend to play things without audio?
no, but even with audio I still hear it. I asked some other people that have been here and most of them don't hear that noise at all. So must be a very high frequency.

micrex22

19 Mar 2017, 10:14

andrewjoy wrote: Nope i like it too. At least for the right games. Newer stuff ( relative) looks better on later flat triniton style tubes.

That is why one day i want this badboy

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/mod ... m?id=22107

Is that Samsung true RGBs or is it RGBhv ( VGA) ?

Would love it if you could post a few photos or the model number , may be one to keep an eye out for.
It's a SyncMaster 900SL, not sure of the status of its RGB outputs (it's the first CRT I got with them to be honest, I've always traditionally just used straight up VGA ones). But I usually just run low resolutions since that's part of the fun.
It's not actually my favourite CRT, that would be granted to an amazing old panasonic CRT I have, but it presently has some sort of issue that I hope to fix some day... in the interm the samsung will do!

I would agree that later games are better on later CRTs (or even LCDs), because they lack things like dithering and ultra-fast moving objects that some DOS resolutions utilize.

andrewjoy

19 Mar 2017, 19:45

I would say the generation where you should go LCD ( or better yet plasma ) is Xbox360 / PS3

Don't forget the PS2 was still 240p and had a fantastic RGB output.

The early 360s can even connect directly to a RGB crt as well as 99% of them support component ( Y Pb Pr ) too.

codemonkeymike

19 Mar 2017, 20:13

PS2 had 95% of it's library is 480i, which performs much better on modern LCDs then "240p", but yah it's RGB sync on luma is pretty good but what is even more cool is it's sync on green which is for VGA output, which a very small number of games can do with some software on the internal hard drive.

The 360 on the other hand does not do standard definition RGB but will do RGB HV or VGA. Most PVM don't take sync on green or RGB HV

andrewjoy

27 Apr 2017, 16:44

Ok so the Extron came up a dud , i can get the 240p signal to the BVM but the sync is all out of whack, anyway thats not why i am posting.

I need to update the firmware on the BVM to 1.40 to support an SDI add in card and to do that i need a PCMCIA SRAM card of at least 512kb and they cost more than a 1/2 decent SSK!

Does anyone happen to have one i can borrow ?

To our recycler friends could you keep an eye out for PCMCIA sram cards ?

mr_a500

10 Jun 2017, 18:00

I've got a bunch of CRTs, mostly small portable ones to go with my computers. (...but I wouldn't call them "sexy". Warning: never attempt sex with a CRT. Doing so may result in severe injury.)
Technic2s.JPG
TI-99.JPG
JVC P-100.jpg
...and I've got these: (photos by VISIONS4 MAGAZINE CONTENT © COPYRIGHT 2002-2017)

...and of course, I have Amiga 1080, 1084, and CRTs in classic B&W Macs, green screen Kaypros, amber IBM 5155, colour IBM 3279, etc.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Jun 2017, 18:02

That portable Panasonic is brilliant. :maverick:

mr_a500

10 Jun 2017, 18:07

Which one? The little puny B&W one with fake leather? Yeah, it's great. I got it NOS. The only problem is that the fake leather sort of melted into the plastic bag it was wrapped in. Then, while it was sitting on my desk, it stuck and when I picked it up, some of it stayed on the desk. (and is still on there at this moment)

At least it's in far better condition than the ones that were actually used. Usually you see them totally shredded. (damn fake leather!)

seebart

10 Jun 2017, 18:13

mr_a500 wrote: Which one?
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (236.76 KiB) Viewed 3465 times

mr_a500

12 Jun 2017, 22:34

Yes, that's the one.

I forgot - I also have one of the Blade Runner TVs. (not because I'm obsessed with Blade Runner, just because it was incredibly cheap)
videoshot-2017-06-12-17h29m44s973.jpg
"He say you Brade Runner."

Maybe I should put it upside down on my bathroom ceiling and leave it tuned to static. Yeah, that's the way to go.

seebart

12 Jun 2017, 23:04

mr_a500 wrote: Maybe I should put it upside down on my bathroom ceiling and leave it tuned to static. Yeah, that's the way to go.
That's it and you don't need to be cool like Deckard either. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-topic”