Date format

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jun 2017, 17:29

The significance of the German language is a little overstated ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_la ... guage_myth

Most important literature written in German are the DIN norms :lol:

Ray

12 Jun 2017, 17:35

iirc over 90% of books written on tax as a subject are written in german (could be an urban legend as well, but I do believe it)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Jun 2017, 17:35

Wodan wrote: Most important literature written in German are the DIN norms :lol:
You mean the desoldering norms Wodan? :evilgeek:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jun 2017, 17:38

seebart wrote: You mean the desoldering norms Wodan? :evilgeek:
You and the other keyboard huggers come up with a Red List of Threatened Keyboards and I promise I won't desolder any more of those!

With the exception of Nixie keyboards because ... man's gotta eat.

seebart

12 Jun 2017, 17:46

Wodan wrote:
seebart wrote: You mean the desoldering norms Wodan? :evilgeek:
You and the other keyboard huggers come up with a Red List of Threatened Keyboards and I promise I won't desolder any more of those!
Ohh Wodan is getting pissed I like it...:mrgreen:
1qr4hu.jpg
1qr4hu.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Wodan wrote: With the exception of Nixie keyboards because ... man's gotta eat.
Actually if you find a CT11 and desolder that too... :x :?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jun 2017, 17:56

seebart wrote: Ohh Wodan is getting pissed I like it...:mrgreen:
1qr4hu.jpg
Naaw I am serious, I would love to see that list and I think there was even as thread here somewhere about such a list.
Desoldering CT11 is a pain because all the switches are plate mount :(
off-topic-f10/iucn-red-list-for-keyboards-t15540.html

seebart

12 Jun 2017, 18:01

Wodan wrote:
1qr4hu.jpg
Naaw I am serious, I would love to see that list and I think there was even as thread here somewhere about such a list.
I'm pretty sure a "final" list would never be agreed upon and I'm not sure you would not comply with any list.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jun 2017, 18:06

seebart wrote: I'm pretty sure a "final" list would never be agreed upon and I'm not sure you would not comply with any list.
Well here I am posting in public :)

The biggest challenge will be finding a handful of criteria to put keyboards on the list and then you can just measure all proposals against those criteria

seebart

12 Jun 2017, 18:08

Wodan wrote:
seebart wrote: I'm pretty sure a "final" list would never be agreed upon and I'm not sure you would not comply with any list.
Well here I am posting in public :)

The biggest challenge will be finding a handful of criteria to put keyboards on the list and then you can just measure all proposals against those criteria
No need because I know there won't be any agreement. :cry:

Mr.Nobody

13 Jun 2017, 05:52

Chyros wrote: The same could be said for German tbh.
Germany never developed enough colonies overseas to be as influential.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jun 2017, 09:32

seebart wrote: English is a much much "easier" language than German.
German never made any sense to me until I was bought the Klingon Dictionary as a present, and read it. That was after the last of my German classes at school, so it was too late, but suddenly German all made sense.

The two languages aren't similar at all; I'm guessing that Marc Okrand managed to explain grammar in a way that I could understand. English is "simple" in that it's sloppy; for example, the same words are used regardless of their function in the sentence. I can be drawing a drawing. "drawing" doesn't change spelling between being a verb and a noun. I wouldn't be surprised if being clear and precise in English is much harder than in German.

We also don't have grammatical gender. I have no idea what that's all about.

seebart

13 Jun 2017, 09:47

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
seebart wrote: English is a much much "easier" language than German.
German never made any sense to me until I was bought the Klingon Dictionary as a present, and read it. That was after the last of my German classes at school, so it was too late, but suddenly German all made sense.

The two languages aren't similar at all; I'm guessing that Marc Okrand managed to explain grammar in a way that I could understand. English is "simple" in that it's sloppy; for example, the same words are used regardless of their function in the sentence. I can be drawing a drawing. "drawing" doesn't change spelling between being a verb and a noun. I wouldn't be surprised if being clear and precise in English is much harder than in German.

7b1581bd8c997e696e6d272a9ce43600.jpg
7b1581bd8c997e696e6d272a9ce43600.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

Mr.Nobody

13 Jun 2017, 11:43

@seebart
What if I tell you Chinese words have no form variations whatsoever at all, a word can be a noun, a verb, an ajective, an adverb, a preposition, completely depends on what you want it to be and its position in the sentence; really free to use...and we have no tenses, no gender, no plural, no countable or uncountable no third person... you got the idea...still laws and contracts are written in Chinese, I think it's okay. This explains why it's hard for Chinese to learn Indo-European languages, too many damn "unnecessary troubles" in grammar...if gender in French or Spanish gives English speaker a headache, imagine what a hell of headache English gives to Chinese learners...
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 13 Jun 2017, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

13 Jun 2017, 12:05

Mr.Nobody wrote: @seebart
What if I tell you Chinese words have no form variations whatsoever at all, a word can be a noun, a verb, an adective, an adverb, a preposition, completely depends on what you want it to be and its position in the sentence; really free to use...and we have no tenses, no gender, no plural, no countable or uncountable no third person... you got the idea...still laws and contracts are written in Chinese, I think it's okay. This explains why it's hard for Chinese to learn Indo-european languages, too many damn "unnecessary troubles" in grammar...if gender in French or Spanish gives English speaker a headache, imagine what a hell of headache English gives to Chinese learners...
Of course I believe you. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for any Chinese to "adapt" to English.

andrewjoy

13 Jun 2017, 16:47

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Its totally archaic and limits a language, it needs to go away

cookie

13 Jun 2017, 17:16

002 wrote: Here we say it as it's written (dd/MM/yyyy) but we add 'of' between day and month generally:
11th *of* September, 2001

yyyy/MM/dd is preferred for anything involving computers / programming I'd say because it can be sorted without fuck-arsing around. It would be stupid to speak the date like that though. If someone asks you what the date is and you give them the year first (or even at all) you will be viewed as a dipshit. Even giving the month is superfluous in most cases.
As a backend developer I hate to deal with any sort of date format faggotry... Timestamp in milliseconds is what I want! I don't care about time zones, don't care about formatting, don't care about special wishes. All that belongs to the Frontend guys. Numbers are sortable, selectable, can be part of a select statement without suffering too much with dates, It's easy to migrate between databases, I can use logical operators instead of some bullshit formatting.

When dealing with humans I look where they are from and then adjust accordingly.
Wodan wrote:
1qr4hu.jpg
In case you find anything with Topre switches: Keep calm, send it to me I will take care of it! :)

Chyros

13 Jun 2017, 18:06

Fun fact; the English language became so easy because it was the pauper's language!

It's called morphological levelling and basically resulted from anyone who mattered speaking French instead.

Mr.Nobody

14 Jun 2017, 00:50

Chyros wrote: Fun fact; the English language became so easy because it was the pauper's language!

It's called morphological levelling and basically resulted from anyone who mattered speaking French instead.
Maybe it's dubbed "pauper's language" because the French-speaking conqueror wanted to belittle the local English-speaking folks, you know in ancient time, everything had to be related to classes. If Hitler won the WW2, the whole world would speak German now, and all other languages could be called inferior languages :lol:

Altis

16 Jun 2017, 21:14

In Canada it seems that the date format is inconsistent.

I don't really have a preference for which format is used... all I care is that I know right away which date it's referencing.

Something like 06/07/04 could mean anything. At least if I know it's from an American source, I'm 100% certain it's June 7th 2004.

Mentally, I'd say either MM-DD-YY or YY-MM-DD are the best since the former is how it's spoken while the latter is in order of broader category to smaller (which is how we generally categorize things). It's more natural to think of a year containing months containing days than to extrapolate days belonging to years.

Also if you start with 4-digit year, it's pretty clear that it will follow with month rather than day (ie. YYYY-mm-dd).

vometia
irritant

17 Jun 2017, 07:55

Altis wrote: Mentally, I'd say either MM-DD-YY or YY-MM-DD are the best since the former is how it's spoken
I suppose that's why I find it additionally confusing as I nearly always say e.g. "the 7th of June", not "June the 7th".

Mr.Nobody

20 Jun 2017, 04:35

I heard that there are different ways dealing with commas and stops with quotation marks; commas and stops should always be inside the quotation marks according to American rules, but it's not necessarily so, according to European rules; is this true?

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Jun 2017, 09:23

Yes that is true. Or something to that effect anyway.

Mr.Nobody

21 Jun 2017, 00:04

@Daniel
So it might be written in this way: today, I will watch three movies "God Father", "God Father 2", and "God Father 3". Wow, it makes sense, it's logical. I always wonder why commas and stops have to be inclosed in the quotation marks, guess what ,they don't have to be, and it feels more natural. :DDD

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jun 2017, 09:23

There are some details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation ... iderations

I prefer the "logical" style.

Also, your comma after "God Father 2" is another debatable matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma

Mr.Nobody

22 Jun 2017, 00:46

Yes, because the comma is before an "and". I prefer the logical way too, I almost need to force myself to put them inside the quotes. It's so awkward...

Return to “Off-topic”