Anyone know if the ThinkPad T92 is happening?

lancre

04 Mar 2017, 22:31

I was thinking of buying a T420 or maybe a T520 or maybe an X220, when I was browsing around the Internet, and found this link:

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/retro-th ... me-machine

It's from 2015 but I can't find any recent information about it. Anyone know if this is happening? There was some information on reddit that it would probably hit this year because it's the 25th year since the ThinkPad was released in 1992.

Just don't want to buy a refurb and then for this to hit the shelves like a month later :p

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Mar 2017, 23:00

I have a T410 and a T430, would recommend looking for a T430 instead of the T420 because it has USB3.0 ports.
You get the new keyboard layout which really hurts for a bit ... but it's neat in the backlit version.

lancre

04 Mar 2017, 23:45

This would be my first ThinkPad, I'm going to go for the old keyboard because it looks fantastic and I've heard great things. If I bought one with the chicket key style I would feel a bit sad.

Menuhin

04 Mar 2017, 23:51

Some retro ThinkPad will hit this year?? :D

Hope they can pair the previous gen keyboard of X220/T420 with some modern OLED FHD/UHD screen and modern mobile core i5/i7 CPUs with a retro case. Then people will perhaps stop modding their X220/230 and T420/430.

Ratfink

05 Mar 2017, 00:33

The old-style keyboard really doesn't feel that different from the chiclet keyboard. And honestly, I prefer the feel of the chiclet keyboard to the old ones I've used. The layout is a bit different, but if you've never used an old one, you won't miss the old layout.

If you're in the market for a used Thinkpad, just get the highest-speced, nicest condition one you're willing to pay for. I know I'm saying this on a keyboard forum, but don't worry about the keyboard too much.

Menuhin

05 Mar 2017, 00:43

I didn't want to mention ... because I don't want someone to mess with his first ThinkPad just because an advice here: you can fit the old-style keyboard on the newer ThinkPads e.g, X230 with some mods.

I like the look and layout of the old-style TP keyboard but if you can consider the newer style, the key shape of the new keyboard is actually closer to those on Richard Sapper's first prototype of ThinkPad.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Mar 2017, 08:06

lancre wrote: This would be my first ThinkPad, I'm going to go for the old keyboard because it looks fantastic and I've heard great things. If I bought one with the chicket key style I would feel a bit sad.
It's mostly about the layout and less about the "switches" ...
Plus backlit notebook keyboards can come in handy.

davkol

07 Mar 2017, 23:11

codemonkeymike

11 Mar 2017, 01:55

I love my T430, and it's still cranking since 2011. You cant go wrong with a T4x0 series

lancre

11 Mar 2017, 17:02

Bought a T420 with the 1400x900 screen, i5, 320GB, 4GB for 139 British pounds. Looked in great condition on eBay. Also bought an ANSI as-new T420 keyboard 'cos I prefer the wide enter key. On its way via UPS, if I'm ever in the house when they turn up...

wobbled

11 Mar 2017, 18:00

Wodan wrote: I have a T410 and a T430, would recommend looking for a T430 instead of the T420 because it has USB3.0 ports.
You get the new keyboard layout which really hurts for a bit ... but it's neat in the backlit version.
Or you could put a USB 3.0 express card in the t420 like I did, works great!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 Mar 2017, 14:54

Not trying to start a flame war hear, because I liked the T420 when I owned it, but older laptops like those just run so loud, are big and heavy, and the screen sucks. I've learned to appreciate the features of new hardware.

If people like the old keyboard so much, one option is to just get those vintage wired keyboard and use it with your newer laptop.
thinkpadkeyboard.jpg
thinkpadkeyboard.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 7777 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 Mar 2017, 15:01

Ratfink wrote: The old-style keyboard really doesn't feel that different from the chiclet keyboard. And honestly, I prefer the feel of the chiclet keyboard to the old ones I've used. The layout is a bit different, but if you've never used an old one, you won't miss the old layout.

If you're in the market for a used Thinkpad, just get the highest-speced, nicest condition one you're willing to pay for. I know I'm saying this on a keyboard forum, but don't worry about the keyboard too much.
The biggest difference to me is in the key travel. The ones have much shorter key travel than the older ones, because they had to fit them into thinner chassis, with the way modern laptop trends are going. Obviously, the older Thinkpad keyboards had a different, more intuitive layout, but I've been able to adjust.

I do miss the decided media keyboards. But again, another row on the laptop keyboard for those keys probably would be too big for the smaller size of modern laptops.

Half-Saint

22 Mar 2017, 06:45

lancre wrote: Bought a T420 with the 1400x900 screen, i5, 320GB, 4GB for 139 British pounds. Looked in great condition on eBay. Also bought an ANSI as-new T420 keyboard 'cos I prefer the wide enter key. On its way via UPS, if I'm ever in the house when they turn up...
Welcome to the family ;-) I'm typing this on an X230 equipped with a backlit keyboard - very practical :). I also own a T420 which I wanted to give to my dad but he doesn't like the 14" screen. His eyesight isn't that great anymore so I'll try to sell that laptop instead.

You got a great deal on that T420. For a while you couldn't get it under 200€ around here. Now cheaper deals are occasionally popping up. Anyway, enjoy the laptop! It should serve you for years to come.

micrex22

22 Mar 2017, 08:40

The 'retro' ThinkPad won't be happening. It was just something David Hill showed enthusiasm towards but not Lenovo management. They're only interested in selling ThinkPads to businesses, not enthusiasts.

Although with an enthusiast-styled chiclet keyboard, you would think they are!

The TrackPoint is still fantastic on new Lenovos, after they brought back the buttons they're quite well made and tactile.

Halvar

30 Mar 2017, 00:00

I have had a T420 (i7) as my main computer for a few years now, too. Still going strong, even the battery is better than you would expect, so I can recommend it, but the model is really getting old now.

These were built in 2011/2012, so they are well beyond the standard business depreciation period or leasing time of three years. Which means if you buy these today they're probably either third hand, or the original owner had them for an exceptionally long time. I'd rather go for a younger model if I was buying today, even if its specs look worse on first sight. For example, the 2nd gen i7 in a T420 not faster than the third generation i5 in a T430, but probably uses more power, and you get USB 3 ports on the newer model and a battery that is much more probable to hold up for a few more years.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

30 Mar 2017, 06:16

But ... but the T420 has the terrible Trackpoint buttons - integrated in the Trackpad!

micrex22

30 Mar 2017, 11:47

Wodan wrote: But ... but the T420 has the terrible Trackpoint buttons - integrated in the Trackpad!
I think that's the T440, the T420 has discreet buttons
(You can actually convert them with discreet buttons, for awhile the trackpoint button kits were going for a premium as everyone was scrambling to get discreet buttons again :lol: )

Wodan
ISO Advocate

30 Mar 2017, 11:49

Oh yeah good point ... I just remembered it was a version between the Thinpads I got ...
Terrible design fail ...

Right, the T420 was the last Thinkpad with the traditional T40-line keyboard!
But no integrated USB3.0 ...

lancre

30 Mar 2017, 12:37

Well it's been a few weeks, I stuck an SSD in there, put Linux on it, replaced the keyboard, and it's purring along nicely.

I like the keyboard, it's nice and tactile. I haven't removed a cap so I'm not sure what sort of keyboard it is. I really like the trackpoint. I turned the sensitivity way up and it's better than a trackpad. Even the trackpad on the Macbook seems clumsy now. The only thing about the keyboard I don't like is that different parts of the keyboard sound different, because of what's underneath it.

micrex22

30 Mar 2017, 13:26

Wodan wrote: Oh yeah good point ... I just remembered it was a version between the Thinpads I got ...
Terrible design fail ...

Right, the T420 was the last Thinkpad with the traditional T40-line keyboard!
But no integrated USB3.0 ...
Well not only was the T440 "combo" touchpad a design failure, but it was actually even worse because it suffered from frequent mechanical failures (I had to RMA a bunch for clients; Lenovo must have been aware of the problem as they had a bunch in stock and shipped them out within the same day...). Due to the way the 'rocking' mechanism was designed as it moved up and down while you either hopelessly tried to press the virtual trackpoint buttons, or use the touchpad portion itself.

I haven't opened up one myself, but I imagine it was caused by either failure of flat flex cables internally, or solder points as the touch pad bounces up and down, up and down.

Of course using either would cause accidental 'clicks', and it is only possible to disable the touchpad part with specific drivers under windows. :duck:

davkol

22 Jun 2017, 11:31

It's confirmed by David Hill @ official Lenovo blog.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Jun 2017, 12:52

Personally, I won't be convinced until I can actually hold the thing in my hand.

davkol

22 Jun 2017, 13:29

Going by comments, it looks like T470 with a classic keyboard&finish&logo. That sounds plausible.

I'm only worried about the screen, i.e., if it's gonna be at 3:2 or 16:10. Considering that "it took a lot of critical investigation to evaluate (…) display availability," there's a chance they're doing something outside the usual 16:9 realm.

Another consideration is that this is almost certainly going to be modern Intel spyware; I don't hold my breath for Coreboot support.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Jun 2017, 18:27

davkol wrote: Going by comments, it looks like T470 with a classic keyboard&finish&logo. That sounds plausible.

I'm only worried about the screen, i.e., if it's gonna be at 3:2 or 16:10. Considering that "it took a lot of critical investigation to evaluate (…) display availability," there's a chance they're doing something outside the usual 16:9 realm.

Another consideration is that this is almost certainly going to be modern Intel spyware; I don't hold my breath for Coreboot support.
What's the traditional screen ratio for Thinkpads? Both 3:2 and 16:10? The old trackpad buttons would be nice, too, at least from the T420 era. The new trackpad buttons suck in comparison, both in shape and travel distance.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Jun 2017, 18:38

My old T43 is 1400×1050 in 14" — that cannot be beaten, although it's kinda of knackered (needs a new battery and a new fan).

davkol

22 Jun 2017, 18:51

vivalarevolución wrote: The old trackpad buttons would be nice, too, at least from the T420 era. The new trackpad buttons suck in comparison, both in shape and travel distance.
Not happening, if the "sneak peak" photo can be trusted. T470 is where it's at.
vivalarevolución wrote: What's the traditional screen ratio for Thinkpads? Both 3:2 and 16:10?
Well, closer to a square than 16:9, but availability of 4:3 is probably a problem nowadays, at least outside much smaller tablets.

Google, Microsoft and now also Huawei are using 13" 3:2 screens, and the retro thinkpad was originally supposed to be based on X300, so there's that. Even if it's T470, the bezel is large enough to fit at least a 16:10 display.

micrex22

22 Jun 2017, 23:40

That's actually kind of funny considering I just bought an X1 Carbon (4th gen because the 5th gen was redesigned with the crappy gross lenovo hinges that I hate, the 4th gen used the better yoga hinges).

I happened to need a modern laptop as of *now* so it's not going to be fruitful waiting for the "retro-but-actually-modern" ThinkPad. Plus I hate the stupid long esc key they are going to use, they just need to use the g*d d**m old IBM layout, ugh!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Jun 2017, 16:11

I love the big escape key. And the big Delete key. There are few thing some satisfying than a decisive slam of those keys to produce an action.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

23 Jun 2017, 16:34

vivalarevolución wrote: I love the big escape key. And the big Delete key. There are few thing some satisfying than a decisive slam of those keys to produce an action.
I completely agree, my biggest issues with standard layouts is the lack of a large escape key and a left hand enter.

Return to “Off-topic”