As I'm in the mood ...

3. You have more keyboards than fingers
2. You have several keyboards that are older than you
1. You are loosing ebay auctions *only* to b***a

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Mar 2017, 07:29

3. Yes.
2. Just one, but at my age that's a pretty old keyboard.
1. No, because that guy is a loser. :lol:

Slom

16 Mar 2017, 08:37

seebart wrote: 2. Just one, but at my age that's a pretty old keyboard.
2. You have several keyboards that are older than you OR you have more keyboards than you are years old

:D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2017, 08:54

Slom wrote: […] 2. You have several keyboards that are older than you OR you have more keyboards than you are years old

So the older you are, the less likely you are to be a computer keyboard addict:
off-topic-f10/keyboard-enthusiast-age-s ... 13274.html
Does having more keyboards than not only fingers, but even phalanges compensate for that? :lol:

Chyros

16 Mar 2017, 12:53

The first two yes, but not the auction thing, because I tend to avoid the kind of auctions that attracts him xD . I think he turned up once in one of the auctions I wanted, though.

Ratfink

16 Mar 2017, 15:43

kbdfr wrote: So the older you are, the less likely you are to be a computer keyboard addict:
That's a rather odd interpretation of those data. True if you only consider people who are at least 27 years old, but false if you consider, you know, the fact that it's a friggin' normal distribution. :ugeek:

seebart

16 Mar 2017, 15:52

Slom wrote:
seebart wrote: 2. Just one, but at my age that's a pretty old keyboard.
2. You have several keyboards that are older than you OR you have more keyboards than you are years old

No I only have one that is older than me, but more actual keyboards than my age in numbers. ;)
Spoiler:
Micro Switch magnetic reed 1970:
IMGP1755.JPG
IMGP1755.JPG (974.01 KiB) Viewed 3738 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2017, 16:27

Ratfink wrote:
kbdfr wrote: So the older you are, the less likely you are to be a computer keyboard addict:
That's a rather odd interpretation of those data. True if you only consider people who are at least 27 years old, but false if you consider, you know, the fact that it's a friggin' normal distribution. :ugeek:
Well, isn’t someone aged 70 less likely than someone aged 20 to "have several keyboards that are older than [them] OR have more keyboards than [they] are years old", as Slom put it?

After all, aren’t keyboards manufactured prior to 1947 way rarer than keyboards manufactured prior to 1997,
and isn’t collecting 70+1 keyboards more demanding than collecting 20+1 keyboards?

7bit

16 Mar 2017, 16:40

Slom wrote: 3. You have more keyboards than fingers
:-)
Slom wrote: 2. You have several keyboards that are older than you
:cry:
Slom wrote: 1. You are loosing ebay auctions *only* to b***a
:mad:

seebart

16 Mar 2017, 17:18

Why does 2. make you cry 7bit? :roll: :?
kbdfr wrote: After all, aren’t keyboards manufactured prior to 1947 way rarer than keyboards manufactured prior to 1997,and isn’t collecting 70+1 keyboards more demanding than collecting 20+1 keyboards?
Depends on how mad of a collector you are. :lol:

7bit

16 Mar 2017, 17:48

I want to find a keyboard that is older than me.
:cry:

However: I doubt there even exists a computer keyboard that is older than kbdfr!
:evilgeek:

seebart

16 Mar 2017, 17:52

7bit wrote: However: I doubt there even exists a computer keyboard that is older than kbdfr!
:evilgeek:
Agreed,possibly this :maverick: :
Friedrich Nietzsche’s Strange Writing Ball
http://flashbak.com/friedrich-nietzsche ... ll-375846/
When Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) was in failing health he found reading and writing for longer than twenty minutes at a time painful. A doctor noted that the writer and thinker’s “right eye could only perceive mistaken and distorted images”. Nietzsche needed help. And in 1882 he got it – his sister Elisabeth and friend Paul Rée sent him one of Danish inventor Rasmus Malling-Hansen’s (1835-1890) portable Writing Balls, a forerunner to the typewriter.
Schreibkugel_von_Hans_Rasmus_Johann_Malling_Hansen_02.jpg
Schreibkugel_von_Hans_Rasmus_Johann_Malling_Hansen_02.jpg (222.92 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Mar 2017, 18:50

Just think, if you manage to get yourself one of those Hansen Balls, it's possible that Nietzsche fondled it as well.

Slom

16 Mar 2017, 19:50

kbdfr wrote:
Ratfink wrote:
Well, isn’t someone aged 70 less likely than someone aged 20 to "have several keyboards that are older than [them] OR have more keyboards than [they] are years old", as Slom put it?

After all, aren’t keyboards manufactured prior to 1947 way rarer than keyboards manufactured prior to 1997,
and isn’t collecting 70+1 keyboards more demanding than collecting 20+1 keyboards?
But they have had more time collecting keyboards as well.

seebart

16 Mar 2017, 20:11

vivalarevolución wrote: Just think, if you manage to get yourself one of those Hansen Balls, it's possible that Nietzsche fondled it as well.
I don't believe too many exist.
Slom wrote: But they have had more time collecting keyboards as well.
Very good point! ;)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Mar 2017, 12:22

Slom wrote:
kbdfr wrote: […]

But they have had more time collecting keyboards as well.
With the restriction that unlike 20 year olds, 70 year olds will not have started collecting when they were 15,
because 1962 there were simply no keyboards around :lol:

I would say such a collecting career could not start prior to the general widespread of the Internet, i.e. the early 1990s,
and even then there was not much reason to collect what was available practically everywhere :lol:

Findecanor

17 Mar 2017, 14:45

Heh. Two years ago, a Swedish documentary TV series about crime had a Hansen ball just sitting on a shelf simply as set dressing for quite a few episodes. They had simply got it on loan from the station's prop department, it being chosen because it looked nice. That was until a viewer, an expert on antiques, an appraiser at the Swedish version of the Antiques Roadshow, saw it in an episode, called them up and told them to take care of it. It had been given to the prop department by someone at the station who had in turn got it as a gift for many years ago but not known what to do with it ... but when the station found out that it was valuable they gave it back to her!

Apparently there are fourty known Hansen typewriters, most of them in museums. Appraised value €100'000 for this one, max sales price at auction has been €131'000.
If anyone here owns one, I would be very surprised.

Mr.Nobody

11 Apr 2017, 05:51

I bet someone has more keyboards than the hair he has.

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Apr 2017, 07:26

I can confirm this. My uncle has complete Alopecia, so he has no hair at all. He probably has two keyboards. Hah.

Return to “Off-topic”