Uncommon Vocabulary

jacobolus

04 Sep 2017, 20:35

codemonkeymike wrote: Capricious, every once in a long while I hear someone use that word. It's one way of getting someones attention. Another one would be whenceforth, one of my favorites to slip into a conversation, very much an under used word.
Do you mean “whence” or “henceforth”, perchance?

“Whenceforth” is such a limited/inflexible construction that I don’t think I’ve ever seen it used (it doesn’t even appear in the 3 dictionaries I just looked at). It would take some work to fit it into a sentence.

infodroid

06 Sep 2017, 18:42

nincompoopery

nincompoopism

...but sadly nincompooply isn't a word, notwithstanding:
depletedvespene wrote: I'd say "Good for him." had he not contaminated many, many people with his nincompooply ideas.

depletedvespene

06 Sep 2017, 21:06

infodroid wrote: nincompoopery

nincompoopism

...but sadly nincompooply isn't a word, notwithstanding:
depletedvespene wrote: I'd say "Good for him." had he not contaminated many, many people with his nincompooply ideas.
Jobs was such a grade-A nincompoop that I had no choice but to coin that neologism. Yay! (Yay?)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Sep 2017, 21:13

Mr.Nobody

30 Sep 2017, 01:20

shenanigans, the provenance of this word is unclear.
" capricious " is a fairly common word to me, frequently used to describe women and children.

whereas=however
whereby=by which
wherein=in which
whereupon=upon which
thereupon=then
thereafter=from then on
hereafter=from now on
therefore=hence=thus=so
heretofore=hitherto=until now=up to now

And words like these are deliberately used on the law-related/commercial contracts/insurance policies to confuse you, they use tons of other jargons as well to make you feel incompetent/inadequate in order to force you to hire professionals.

Yeah, I'm going to insert a Youtube video here...(some people used to pick me on doing this, but when I ask "what's wrong with inserting videos? " they can't answer. :lol: )

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Sep 2017, 10:15

Mr.Nobody wrote: […] " capricious " is a fairly common word to me, frequently used to describe women and children. […]
I never heard any child nor woman describing themselves as capricious, so apparently your perception is somewhat biased :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Sep 2017, 10:49

... not to mention misogynist

tigpha

30 Sep 2017, 19:57

matt3o wrote: ... not to mention misogynist
Indubitably.

Darkshado

01 Oct 2017, 08:01

kerfuffle

Mr.Nobody

01 Oct 2017, 12:20

kbdfr wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: […] " capricious " is a fairly common word to me, frequently used to describe women and children. […]
I never heard any child nor woman describing themselves as capricious, so apparently your perception is somewhat biased :lol:
No they won't describe themselves that way, oftentimes this word comes out of the mouths of men.

EDIT:
Women tolerate men of being aggressive and short-tempered sometimes, so men should tolerate women of being capricious sometimes, fair enough. As for kids...they are kids after all, don't be too hard on them.
EDIT 2:

All of us are biased in one way or another, all of us have got ideologies of some kind implanted into our mind through years of biased education and inevitable exposure to stories sold to us by state-owned or corporate media. There is no true free will, quote:"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."---Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Oct 2017, 09:28

Mr.Nobody wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
No they won't describe themselves that way, oftentimes this word comes out of the mouths of men.
QED
EDIT:
Women tolerate men of being aggressive and short-tempered sometimes, so men should tolerate women of being capricious sometimes, fair enough. As for kids...they are kids after all, don't be too hard on them.
See above :lol:
EDIT 2:

All of us are biased in one way or another, all of us have got ideologies of some kind implanted into our mind through years of biased education and inevitable exposure to stories sold to us by state-owned or corporate media. There is no true free will, quote:"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."---Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Verbosity.
Spoiler:
Or how to connect off-topic and on-topic :mrgreen:

seebart

02 Oct 2017, 09:33

kbdfr wrote: Or how to connect off-topic and on-topic :mrgreen:
:o You mean that's actually possible...? :mrgreen:

Mr.Nobody

03 Oct 2017, 03:26

That's the best you can do? Has my elocution reduced you to the state of speechless? ;)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Oct 2017, 10:07

Mr.Nobody wrote: […] Has my elocution […]
Elocution? You probably mean eloquence. Anyway, no, it' simple verbosity on your part.
And attacking me out of the blue in your new propaganda thread won't help that :lol:

tigpha

04 Oct 2017, 21:33

Pugnacious, irascible, opprobrious -- but why not affable, cordial and gregarious?

shodx11

11 Oct 2017, 12:38

How about archaic? Does anybody still use the word?

depletedvespene

11 Oct 2017, 15:26

shodx11 wrote: How about archaic? Does anybody still use the word?
No. It's too archaic.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Oct 2017, 23:08

shodx11 wrote:
How about archaic? Does anybody still use the word?
Yes, I use that and "ancient" (sometimes in a partially sarcastic or ironic sense) fairly often.

Another great word that should be used more is obstreperous.

Mr.Nobody

13 Oct 2017, 03:32

kbdfr wrote:
Elocution? You probably mean eloquence. Anyway, no, it' simple verbosity on your part.
And attacking me out of the blue in your new propaganda thread won't help that :lol:
No attack, but a little satire is true,or you can deem it to be a thank for accusing me of being sexist out of blue. Then should I say it's simple speechlessness on your part? :lol:

"Archaic" appears frequently in dictionaries, coz dictionaries want to tell you there're many words are archaic.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Oct 2017, 13:34

Mr.Nobody wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
No attack, but a little satire is true,or you can deem it to be a thank for accusing me of being sexist out of blue. Then should I say it's simple speechlessness on your part? :lol:
[…].
I don't just think (not out of the blue, but based on your own words) you're sexist,
I think you're rather simply dumb.

I am aware this will trigger another flood of hollow verbiage on your part :lol:

On topic: exegesis.

Mr.Nobody

23 Oct 2017, 14:08

@KBDFR

Do you know there is a country called Nigeria, omg, it must look rather racist in your eyes. By mentioning the name of the country I must have become a racist to you too :lol: I am an Asian you have just insulted me by calling me dumb, so you are a racist, is this the game you want to play? If this is the level of your thinking, you are really stupid and dull.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Oct 2017, 16:20

Mr.Nobody wrote: @KBDFR

Do you know there is a country called Nigeria, omg, it must look rather racist in your eyes. By mentioning the name of the country I must have become a racist to you too :lol: I am an Asian you have just insulted me by calling me dumb, so you are a racist, is this the game you want to play? If this is the level of your thinking, you are really stupid and dull.

vometia
irritant

25 Nov 2017, 10:12

fohat wrote: Another great word that should be used more is obstreperous.
I use "stroppy" quite a lot, though I do sometimes write it out in full.

depletedvespene

27 Nov 2017, 13:20

vometia wrote: I use "stroppy" quite a lot, though I do sometimes write it out in full.
I had never heard that word, but I like it. Perhaps I should rename my account to "stroppygit" (because, deep down, that's what I am).

Slom

27 Nov 2017, 14:16

Are we restricted to English? Does it even matter with uncommon words?

I really like "Ei der Daus!" :)
https://www.dict.cc/?s=ei+der+daus

seebart

27 Nov 2017, 14:42

Slom wrote: Are we restricted to English? Does it even matter with uncommon words?

I really like "Ei der Daus!" :)
https://www.dict.cc/?s=ei+der+daus
That's regional Slom ! You want me to start with Plattdütsch... :evilgeek:

Halvar

27 Nov 2017, 19:22

I don't think Ei der Daus! is regional.

Nice one. I do use it from time to time... :-)

seebart

27 Nov 2017, 20:18

Halvar wrote: I don't think Ei der Daus! is regional.
OK it's just regoinal to Slom then... :lol: :maverick:

Slom

27 Nov 2017, 21:52

seebart wrote: That's regional Slom ! You want me to start with Plattdütsch... :evilgeek:
Regional? Du willst mich wohl verhonebibln?
"Ei verbibbsch" would be the regional equivalent, I think.

seebart

27 Nov 2017, 22:14

Slom wrote:
seebart wrote: That's regional Slom ! You want me to start with Plattdütsch... :evilgeek:
Regional? Du willst mich wohl verhonebibln?
"Ei verbibbsch" would be the regional equivalent, I think.
Slömchen üss Plietsche... :lol:

Return to “Off-topic”