help with Japanese?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 May 2017, 19:17

weird request I know :)

I need to write in Japanese "humans only" and "no cyborgs" as in "only humans allowed" and "no cyborgs allowed" can anyone help me with that? I don't trust google translate :)

Thanks!

gogusrl

09 May 2017, 07:05

Dunno what you're talking about, google translate works great.

Topre Enthusiast

09 May 2017, 07:43

Do you still need help with this, matt?
If so I can get you a translation in a couple of hours.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 May 2017, 09:00

002 wrote: Do you still need help with this, matt?
If so I can get you a translation in a couple of hours.
thanks mate, I got it :)

Mr.Nobody

26 May 2017, 13:10

Better check with native speakers,don't fabricate by yourself, coz language is a rather complex thing!

Topre Enthusiast

26 May 2017, 14:06

Sound advice. You should share it with your countrymen ;)

Stabilized

26 May 2017, 15:35

002 wrote: Sound advice. You should share it with your countrymen ;)
It actually doesn't start out too bad, but then quickly descends into whatever 'sonl voer wengthr ro' is. It's like the person in charge of translating just got steadly more and more to the point of not caring :lol:
That's assuming there was any human involvement in the translation at all :roll:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 May 2017, 15:49

no, YOU are a tong cong!

Topre Enthusiast

26 May 2017, 15:51

How *dare* you jeams hoser anther feng >:(

scottc

26 May 2017, 18:25

It's like a t-shirt printer's drinking game. Every word, you take a shot...

Mr.Nobody

26 May 2017, 23:45

Some Chinese people will never master English especially those who make cheap clothes for low-income foreigners, just like most foreigners will never master Chinese, here are more jokes about foreigners studying Chinese.

@matto3, "c" can't be linked with "ong", however, "s" "ch" and "k" can, so maybe you are trying to say
tong song
tong chong
tong kong

Still, none of them makes sense, I can't figure out which word you are trying to say or maybe you are speaking Cantonese( which I also can speak) still....well it seems this fabrication doesn't work for me.

ps: I love the third joke very much, for it reflects how intertesing Chinese can be, a sentence can have completely different meanings, sometimes opposite meanings, although every single word in the sentence is identical, the only thing makes difference is which word you emphasize.

I will translate the first one for you guys:
Winter: Put on as many clothes as you can.
Summer: Put on as few clothes as you can.

Both sentences are written into "能穿多少穿多少” in Chinese, but the first one emphasizes the word “穿” which means “put on” however the second one emphasizes the word “少” which means “few/little” and by doing so the identical sentence has opposite meanings when you say it. When you read it, you need to pay attention to the context, otherwise it won't make sense.

Mr.Nobody

27 May 2017, 00:23

"I know in France you have this custom that when you meet a really good-looking woman for the first time, you must fuck her twice immediately" :lol: In fact the old man intended to say " you must kiss her twice immediately"

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 May 2017, 09:32

Mr.Nobody wrote: S
@matto3, "c" can't be linked with "ong", however, "s" "ch" and "k" can, so maybe you are trying to say
tong song
tong chong
tong kong

Still, none of them makes sense, I can't figure out which word you are trying to say or maybe you are speaking Cantonese( which I also can speak) still....well it seems this fabrication doesn't work for me.
are you for real?

Mr.Nobody

27 May 2017, 09:36

matt3o wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: S
tong song
tong chong
tong kong

are you for real?
What for real? I am at sea completely.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 May 2017, 09:39

Mr.Nobody wrote: I am at sea completely.
water-chicken-hours-tap-if-you-are-lost-at-sea-1033235.png
water-chicken-hours-tap-if-you-are-lost-at-sea-1033235.png (148.13 KiB) Viewed 5103 times

Mr.Nobody

27 May 2017, 09:46

I visited many museums, historic resorts in Beijing and other major cities, and found almost all of the placards are written in broken English, which really is an ambarassing situation, because there are so many Universities in those cities that are aboundant in English teachers and experts of languages, still they are unable to get the job done in the right way...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 May 2017, 10:11

lol this is getting funnier and funnier. I already nominate this post for 2017 "the ping" award!

seebart

27 May 2017, 10:35

matt3o wrote: lol this is getting funnier and funnier. I already nominate this post for 2017 "the ping" award!
Slightly early in the year but yes it is a candidate.

Mr.Nobody

27 May 2017, 12:37

@matto3
So can you reveal in English what you originally wanted to say with "tong cong" now?

@ seebart
Is there any idom in English or German relating to water chicken that I don't know about?

Mr.Nobody

27 May 2017, 12:54

This kind of shit happens all the time, they just don't take this kind of matter seriously, because it DOESN"T matter, it doesn't affect the revenue, foreigners only occupy a tiny proportion of the visitors, so why bother, I think this is what's on their mind. Once it affects the income, it matters, they will make it fucking perfect like hell or should I say heaven.

seebart

27 May 2017, 15:40

Mr.Nobody wrote: @ seebart
Is there any idom in English or German relating to water chicken that I don't know about?
No. Just a random meme.

caligo

27 May 2017, 15:49

Translations are really hard, especially when it comes to nuance. When learning a new language you're often taught one way of using a given word or expression, and when you try to use that word or phrase in a different context things quickly get weird.

For example, suring my first semester of studying Chinese I was taught that putting '了' after a verb was the equivalent of using past tense in English. But it isn't – it just means that an action has been completed, plus it can mean a bunch of other stuff depending on context. It's a small thing, but it made me hand in some assignments that had the teacher really scratching her head.

With a translation like 'impertal garden' you can at least kind of decipher what the intended meaning was. But use the wrong character in Chinese or Japanese, and you completely change the meaning of a sentence. In my experience, I'm messing up in way more cringeworthy ways as a beginner in Chinese than I ever did when I studied French or English.

Mr.Nobody

27 May 2017, 22:26

caligo wrote: Translations are really hard, especially when it comes to nuance. When learning a new language you're often taught one way of using a given word or expression, and when you try to use that word or phrase in a different context things quickly get weird.

For example, suring my first semester of studying Chinese I was taught that putting '了' after a verb was the equivalent of using past tense in English. But it isn't – it just means that an action has been completed, plus it can mean a bunch of other stuff depending on context. It's a small thing, but it made me hand in some assignments that had the teacher really scratching her head.

With a translation like 'impertal garden' you can at least kind of decipher what the intended meaning was. But use the wrong character in Chinese or Japanese, and you completely change the meaning of a sentence. In my experience, I'm messing up in way more cringeworthy ways as a beginner in Chinese than I ever did when I studied French or English.
Exactly, the Indo-european languages are closely related and rather familiar with one another, but English and Chinese are more like languages from two planets...it give learners from both sides a hell of lot of hard time...

EDIT:
When learning a foreign language, naturally, people keep using their mother tongue as a surpportive tool to facilitate the learning process, but in fact, it causes more problems than it solves. Especially when you are learning a language from a completely different language family. My tip is: Don't compare your target language with your native language; it'd only make things more confusing and harder to study. Learn the language as it is from the very beginning, forget about your mother tongue. The comparison thing is helpful when you are learning a language from same language family though.

Return to “Off-topic”