Precision

Half-Saint

10 Dec 2011, 19:21

Precision is when you manage to chop off part of your fingernail... with an axe :roll:

Ascaii
The Beard

10 Dec 2011, 19:38

O_o I hope the axe had nothing to do with my bolt mod in progress ^_°

Anyways....congratulations on not taking off more.

fossala
Elite +1

10 Dec 2011, 19:42

I cut 2 fingers bolt modding my model m the other day (removing rivets).

Findecanor

10 Dec 2011, 20:25

Last Easter, I was cutting in plastic, slipped and managed to cut a 3 cm long, 1/2 cm deep gash in my left hand. Luckily, I got away with only seven stitches and an ugly scar. If the hobby knife had been longer than 1/2 cm, I could have cut through a major artery, nerve or tendon and possibly lost the ability to use my left thumb to type with.

kps

10 Dec 2011, 20:49

I believe that no project can succeed without a blood sacrifice.

I could instead believe that I'm just too stupid to learn to cut away from myself, but I'd prefer not to.

Findecanor

10 Dec 2011, 22:52

Hehe... there is something to that. When I used to build more props out of metal using mostly a dremel, files and hacksaws, I used to say "It's not a real project unless I spill some blood" ...

itlnstln

12 Dec 2011, 21:20

I cut off the tip of my pinky with a mandoline slicing cucumbers on 11/23. I just took off the bandaging today. I think I may have done some nerve damage; it's a little numb.

N8N

12 Dec 2011, 23:08

Itlnstln,

if it makes you feel any better something like 10 years ago now I partially degloved my right index finger in a factory accident - I was working night shift in a factory (thank God those days are over) and forgot to hit the big red button while unjamming a chain drive. Fortunately I realized what I'd done before I let go of the chain, so I took a deep breath and got my hand out of the way as quickly as I possibly could. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite quick enough; I didn't mangle my whole hand but it caught just a little bit of my index finger. Degloved it back to the first knuckle and took a little chunk of meat out of it at the tip, right to the bone.

The whole point of that disgusting story was not to cause you digestive issues however, but to let you know that after they stitched it all back together, I too had some loss of sensitivity for a good long while but today other than the odd scar on my fingerprint and the fact that the left side of my fingernail overhangs my fingertip a little which means that I have to be very conscientious about keeping it trimmed close otherwise fine tasks are somewhat difficult, I have no ill effects from that exercise today. Fortunately the human body is wonderful about regenerating that which has been lost...

Of course, that finger is mostly fine, but I got my right pinky slammed in the door of a rental car last week (was at a funeral and distracted, and it was an unfamiliar car and the door snapped shut with a little more authority than my usual ride) and now typing is a PITA as every time I manage to hit a key with that fingernail it hurts like a female dog, and I can't even contemplate trimming that one...

7bit

12 Dec 2011, 23:21

fossala wrote:I cut 2 fingers bolt modding my model m the other day (removing rivets).
Now your doctor is stitch-modding your fingers. :lol:

itlnstln

13 Dec 2011, 15:14

@N8N:

Dude, that sucks. Fortunately, my accident was nowhere near that bad. Even from the time of that post, my finger is getting some of the feeling back. It just feels weird using a finger that has been in bandage for about 3 weeks.

Half-Saint

13 Dec 2011, 15:48

My fingernail is also growing back. It now looks like it has been munched on by a mouse.

Return to “Off-topic”