Anyone have an Amazon Alexa or Google Home assistant?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Nov 2017, 14:50

I've decided to take the plunge into a Home assistant and have ordered a Google Home device. Does anyone else have this or an Alexa and do you have any feedback for newbies?

Halvar

16 Nov 2017, 15:47

3 ... 2 ... 1 FIGHT! :D

I have an Echo or two. My tips: Have a look at the new IKEA Tradfri before you buy any expensive Philips Hue stuff like I did. (I'm not sure if Google supports it yet though, but I know Alexa does). And the Logitech Hub is a great device if you have devices with IR remotes.

chuckdee

16 Nov 2017, 15:57

I have a couple of dots and a Tap. Switching to Google Home. Though the Alexa is useful, I feel I should be able to ask it a question about something, and it return an answer.

andrewjoy

16 Nov 2017, 16:11

I don't know , i find talking to computers a bit ..... strange

Halvar

16 Nov 2017, 16:13

I don't like the Google Home's German voice at all, and asking knowledge questions is something I very hardly do. The spoken answers are too short to be useful anyway. I prefer to google those in writing.

chuckdee

16 Nov 2017, 18:45

Halvar wrote: I don't like the Google Home's German voice at all, and asking knowledge questions is something I very hardly do. The spoken answers are too short to be useful anyway. I prefer to google those in writing.
Sometimes I'm just sitting in the living room, watching a tv show with the family, and something will come up. Perhaps from a related episode, or about one of the actors, or even something random. Being able to query without getting out the phone or tablet easily and get a short answer is useful to me.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Nov 2017, 19:46

My plan is to use some Belkin Wemo switches and use it for some home automation. I currently have some X-10 switches that I will convert. I already have a Nest thermostat so I can check that integration but I usually don't ever change the temperature. I will also be experimenting with Chromecast video to see what the possibilities are.

Halvar

16 Nov 2017, 20:38

Yes, the Chromecast integration is pretty good (I have Firesticks instead, so thats another one of the reasons I'm using Echos). And the Wemo switches should be no problem. Have fun!

gogusrl

16 Nov 2017, 20:41

Got a nvidia shield a while back (which has google assistant integration and hot word detection) and ordered the smarthings shield link + 5 bulbs + 1 motion sensor and tomorrow (BF!) I plan to order a google home, 3 minis, one chromecast audio and a logitech harmony hub.

Also, I'm not sure if it's still up but samsung had the smarthings bulbs (white, dimmable) at 9.99$.

Return to “Off-topic”