Building a replica Mainframe Console

__red__

26 Dec 2017, 23:05

Slightly off-topic:

I want to build a replica console for one of the really old mainframes - like this:

Of course, my reason for not building that isn't scale - that doesn't scare me. It's that I can't find a single reference that explains what each of the blinkenlights / switches / buttons do.

Anyone know of a blinkenlights console that's fairly well documented?

Thanks,

Red

Chyros

26 Dec 2017, 23:13

Oooooh, that just looks magnificent.... I want a wall in my house to look like that :D .

andrewjoy

27 Dec 2017, 00:26

looks like they are full banks of program flags or registers , possibly even memory. So down to the level of is bit 1 1 or 0 is bit 2 1 or 0 and so on.

__red__

27 Dec 2017, 01:39

Chyros wrote: Oooooh, that just looks magnificent.... I want a wall in my house to look like that :D .
When I decide which I'm going to do I'll publish the designs so you can follow along if you want. So help me find one that you like too :-)

__red__

27 Dec 2017, 01:59

andrewjoy wrote: looks like they are full banks of program flags or registers , possibly even memory. So down to the level of is bit 1 1 or 0 is bit 2 1 or 0 and so on.
Pretty much - I think it also allows you to directly manipulate memory and registers on the fly. You 'halt' the CPU, make your changes and go!

Like a hardware GDB!

If I could find documentation for the whole panel that would rock...

Return to “Off-topic”