Now I remember why I dislike Reddit

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 Mar 2018, 17:50

People assume you are a dumbass with no knowledge of keyboards. :x

chuckdee

07 Mar 2018, 18:03

Some people assume you are a dumbass with no knowledge of keyboards.

People are people everywhere, and we have our share of the asshats too. It's useful, and more information is always better to me.

/me shrugs

AndyTC

07 Mar 2018, 18:22

>trys to sell Hirose orange switches for $10 each
>gets called out on it and deletes his reddit accounts
>comes to DT too rant
:roll:

Menuhin

07 Mar 2018, 18:24

Knowledge is information, which can be backed by source, and clarified by elaboration.
Opinion is not knowledge, however, and an opinion can be quite personal. It's basically a personal preference.

If I express just my opinion on Reddit, my opinion will be treated like the knowledge of anyone else, unless I have noticeable / recognizable fame. If I express knowledge, backed with citation and references, and similar info, users as random and as seemingly non-thoughtful as in Reddit will still beneift.

Dingster

07 Mar 2018, 18:33

>artisan that has spikes and bumps out of it and is overall not functional for typing.

:?

chuckdee

07 Mar 2018, 18:34

And I get information and benefit from reddit. Certain ICs/GBs/Prototypes are only shared there. To cut yourself off from that is to cut yourself off from part of the hobby. I can change my habits and responses to make it palatable, and not lose the information and benefit.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 Mar 2018, 19:02

AndyTC wrote: >trys to sell Hirose orange switches for $10 each
>gets called out on it and deletes his reddit accounts
>comes to DT too rant
:roll:
Fuck off mate. I never deleted my account and most of my profit on those is going to charity. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't, but don't claim that I am trying to rob people of their money.

P.S. This has nothing to do with that post.

chuckdee

07 Mar 2018, 21:40

point proven? :evilgeek: :lol: :mrgreen:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 Mar 2018, 22:25

chuckdee wrote: point proven? :evilgeek: :lol: :mrgreen:
:evil: :lol:

codemonkeymike

08 Mar 2018, 02:07

A big part of the issue is that posts are stale after something like 6-12 hours. So no real back and forth happens, which may be why the real conversations on keyboards happen on GH and DT.

consolation

08 Mar 2018, 04:21

Yeah, that's the main problem with Reddit as a discussion platform, the churn is waayyy to quick. If you want to spend time thinking about and researching a topic, you might as well not bother - it encourages low quality, opinionated, posts and sources getting recycled.

chuckdee

08 Mar 2018, 05:56

codemonkeymike wrote: A big part of the issue is that posts are stale after something like 6-12 hours. So no real back and forth happens, which may be why the real conversations on keyboards happen on GH and DT.
That seems a very large generalization. I've had back and forth on several threads there. Especially since (unlike with a standard forum) you get notifications in your PMs when a post is replied to. That's not standard on most forums.

Khers

08 Mar 2018, 08:15

I can't say that I appreciate reddit either, the SNR is incredibly poor, particularly as the noise gets upvoted so that is what you see. Yadda yadda yadda, Topre is a rubreh domeh. The fact that, as others have testified, the information provided is seldom of the highest quality only serves to make matters even worse.

For me, reddit mechanical keyboards is a keyboard meme-platform and I don't feel like I need that in my life particularly often.

Topre Enthusiast

08 Mar 2018, 08:56

Mechanical keyboards are mainstream now, and Reddit is a mainstream website so it's no surprise that crusty old DT ancients don't like it there. Also, Reddit's default subs are shit. You may as well unsub all of them and start from scratch, cherry picking only niche topics that suit your interests. If you don't know what your interests are, maybe start with /r/Serendipity -- I'm sure the top post from /r/sliderules would pop up there and voila, you found some sensible pals to talk shop with!

andrewjoy

08 Mar 2018, 11:09

Further evidence that normies ruin everything .

Chyros

08 Mar 2018, 11:35

Blaise170 wrote: People assume you are a dumbass with no knowledge of keyboards. :x
Is that a case of "if you're in a duck pond, ducks will assume you're a duck" or....? :p

codemonkeymike

08 Mar 2018, 13:03

chuckdee wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: A big part of the issue is that posts are stale after something like 6-12 hours. So no real back and forth happens, which may be why the real conversations on keyboards happen on GH and DT.
That seems a very large generalization. I've had back and forth on several threads there. Especially since (unlike with a standard forum) you get notifications in your PMs when a post is replied to. That's not standard on most forums.
Why yes it is a generalization, I didn't write my PHD thesis on reddit post staleness. It is my opinion, and yes I have posted on reddit (I have about 50 posts on /r/mk). If I had to apply some numbers to it i'd say 50% of topics don't have any new commenters after 12hr, especially because /r/mk has so many posts for hour.

The only reason I still go to reddit is for these two boards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology
https://www.reddit.com/r/vim

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Mar 2018, 14:56

002 wrote: Mechanical keyboards are mainstream now, and Reddit is a mainstream website so it's no surprise that crusty old DT ancients don't like it there. Also, Reddit's default subs are shit. You may as well unsub all of them and start from scratch, cherry picking only niche topics that suit your interests. If you don't know what your interests are, maybe start with /r/Serendipity -- I'm sure the top post from /r/sliderules would pop up there and voila, you found some sensible pals to talk shop with!
I first joined Reddit in 2012 before deleting my account a few years later because I was getting annoyed with the way things were going there. I just started fresh two weeks ago and already I'm annoyed again, even after having deleted all of the defaults. Reddit as a platform has somehow gotten even worse than it was years ago, which is a pretty big record to achieve. The very fact that some random followed me to DT, and made his first ever post attacking me shows, I think, just how toxic that community is.
Chyros wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: People assume you are a dumbass with no knowledge of keyboards. :x
Is that a case of "if you're in a duck pond, ducks will assume you're a duck" or....? :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wobbled

08 Mar 2018, 15:49

Why are redditors trying to greentext on DT?
SMH

Menuhin

08 Mar 2018, 16:36

I agree with this statement in general.

However, occasionally there are people who put in their effort to compile some useful posts on Reddit, the Holtite compatibility table post as one of those examples.

chuckdee

08 Mar 2018, 17:14

Blaise170 wrote:
002 wrote: Mechanical keyboards are mainstream now, and Reddit is a mainstream website so it's no surprise that crusty old DT ancients don't like it there. Also, Reddit's default subs are shit. You may as well unsub all of them and start from scratch, cherry picking only niche topics that suit your interests. If you don't know what your interests are, maybe start with /r/Serendipity -- I'm sure the top post from /r/sliderules would pop up there and voila, you found some sensible pals to talk shop with!
I first joined Reddit in 2012 before deleting my account a few years later because I was getting annoyed with the way things were going there. I just started fresh two weeks ago and already I'm annoyed again, even after having deleted all of the defaults. Reddit as a platform has somehow gotten even worse than it was years ago, which is a pretty big record to achieve. The very fact that some random followed me to DT, and made his first ever post attacking me shows, I think, just how toxic that community is.
Chyros wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ummm.. He was already registered, unless he managed to hack his registration date. (I looked because I was curious if he followed you) That was his first post which is a pretty shitty first post but what do you do? Shitty people are everywhere.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Mar 2018, 17:17

One can register and not return until some other point in time, there are certainly plenty of people with 0 posts.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2018, 19:52

I only read /r/wildduck

chuckdee

09 Mar 2018, 07:03

codemonkeymike wrote: Why yes it is a generalization, I didn't write my PHD thesis on reddit post staleness. It is my opinion, and yes I have posted on reddit (I have about 50 posts on /r/mk). If I had to apply some numbers to it i'd say 50% of topics don't have any new commenters after 12hr, especially because /r/mk has so many posts for hour.

The only reason I still go to reddit is for these two boards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology
https://www.reddit.com/r/vim
Wow... that escalated quickly!

You gave your opinion, and I responded. I don't think all the other was necessary, and I wasn't trying to imply anything else, other than to give my opinion.
Blaise170 wrote: One can register and not return until some other point in time, there are certainly plenty of people with 0 posts.
That was my point. He didn't necessarily follow you from reddit, but was an asshat that was already registered. There is a distinction between the two IMO.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Mar 2018, 09:56

I just object to how it's impossible to resume a discussion that you stumble across by accident. Plus it's a chaotic and deliberately confusing mess of a site.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Mar 2018, 03:03

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I just object to how it's impossible to resume a discussion that you stumble across by accident. Plus it's a chaotic and deliberately confusing mess of a site.
I have never been able to follow reddit threads. Doesn't lend itself well to long term discussion, just spur of the moment type stuff.

Ir0n

11 Mar 2018, 08:08

Ayee check out my new keebs bois shit is lit.. Literally! It has RGB on its RGB so it can do RGB while it RBGs

Jokes aside...when people say "Keeb" it puts me on full tilt. It also puts me on tilt that people pay 600 dollars for pieces of plastic and brag about it. Maybe I'm just getting cranky and old now..This is why I don't like the sub reddit..

Return to “Off-topic”