Why were so many people online on April 19th 2013 at 20:59?

User avatar
green-squid

11 Mar 2018, 20:03

I have always been very curious about that..
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-03-11-19-59-54.png
Screenshot_2018-03-11-19-59-54.png (144.4 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Mar 2018, 20:14

Round6 GB started ;)

User avatar
Khers

11 Mar 2018, 20:15


User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2018, 20:28

I researched that when it happened, looking at the logs and all.

You'll never guess it. :twisted:

User avatar
green-squid

11 Mar 2018, 20:29

That's a lot of stuff, but how did it attract 3000 people?

Also Khers, are you the second oldest still active user on Deskthority?

User avatar
green-squid

11 Mar 2018, 20:37

webwit wrote: I researched that when it happened, looking at the logs and all.

You'll never guess it. :twisted:
Okay, Szabad a gazda (the farmer is free, this is what we say in hungary when we don't know the answer to a quiz question at a game or something and we want to hear the answer), what is the answer (Khers' ?)?

User avatar
Khers

11 Mar 2018, 20:53

green-squid wrote:
webwit wrote: I researched that when it happened, looking at the logs and all.

You'll never guess it. :twisted:
Okay, Szabad a gazda (the farmer is free, this is what we say in hungary when we don't know the answer to a quiz question at a game or something and we want to hear the answer), what is the answer (Khers' ?)?
I'm off by one and a half hours... So my explanation doesn't float.

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2018, 20:57

It involved Turkey. :ugeek:

User avatar
green-squid

11 Mar 2018, 21:08

Tell us more! We need to uncover this mistery!

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2018, 21:32

It's a bug / feature of our forum software, phpBB. It has a user rights system. Now for example, we have an admin subforum which you can't see because you don't have the user rights, and a club member subforum which you can't access unless you're a club member.

Also, a user can include attachments in posts, for example an image. When you view such an image and then share the direct url with someone else who then views it, it goes through the user rights system. You can't view an image posted in a hidden subforum if aren't logged in on DT and you don't have the user rights.

Over 99,9% of such images can be viewed by anyone, i.e. any "guest".

What happened was the direct url of such a public attachment was included as an image in an article on an entirely different site. Those people did not visit Deskhority, they just viewed an image hosted on Deskthority and phpBB counted those viewers as "guest" when those people viewed an article elsewhere which only included it. It turned out to be an article on the Overclock of Turkey about mech keyboards, some tech site which name and existence I googled for and learned of the first time and which name unfortunately has eluded me. Big enough to generate those article views. I also don't remember which picture was included, but nothing special.

User avatar
green-squid

11 Mar 2018, 21:45

That's very interesting! At first I thought that it was only so high because it was the peak of DT and the number of active users have decreased. But DT is still growing! :)

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2018, 21:55

That's not the lesson to be learned here.

The lesson is those Turks are out there man, hiding, plotting on our beam spring keyboards man.

User avatar
green-squid

11 Mar 2018, 21:57

:D

JBert

12 Mar 2018, 19:09

green-squid wrote:
That's a lot of stuff, but how did it attract 3000 people?

Also Khers, are you the second oldest still active user on Deskthority?
It depends on how you define "active".

From those still visiting CeeSA, Mrinterface and HaaTa seem to have joined far ahead of Khers.

Slom

12 Mar 2018, 21:34

JBert wrote:
green-squid wrote:
That's a lot of stuff, but how did it attract 3000 people?

Also Khers, are you the second oldest still active user on Deskthority?
It depends on how you define "active".

From those still visiting CeeSA, Mrinterface and HaaTa seem to have joined far ahead of Khers.
Huh, I actually joined before Khers. That just surprised me :)

Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”