USB to PS/2 Adapters - best offerings...

ShivaYash

01 Apr 2018, 10:37

Dear all,

What do you suggest for USB to PS/2 adapters? I have the blue cube which is great, I've not had an issue using this with my Model M. I have just started using a much newer Dell keyboard with a Belkin adapter, and around every 200 key strokes or so, the unit seems to 'reset', the three LED lights flash, and during that moment, the keystroke is missed.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
What is the best 'plug-in' adapter to use? Links appreciated.

scottc

01 Apr 2018, 12:07

Honestly, the best solution is to build your own! Unfortunately that's probably not what you want to hear. We can help if you choose to go down that route, though.

ShivaYash

01 Apr 2018, 12:20

scottc wrote: Honestly, the best solution is to build your own! Unfortunately that's probably not what you want to hear. We can help if you choose to go down that route, though.
Thanks ScottC - I'll cut to the case, whats the cost?
What does a finish item look like?

To be honest with you as well, the Blue Cube has served me well for several years with the Model M SSK I have. It is my daily KB now for nearly three plus years.

scottc

01 Apr 2018, 12:28

The cost can be as low as 10 euro in parts. You just need a microcontroller, a PS/2 port, and some wires. The finished item looks however you want it to -- my converter box has a DIN5 cable and lives in a small plastic hobby box, with a USB port coming out the back.

I wrote a guide about how to do this a while ago: workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a ... t8448.html
This has been the most reliable converter I've used and supports PS/2, XT, IBM terminal, and handles remapping my vintage boards on a per-keyboard basis. It's worth the time investment, I think.

ShivaYash

01 Apr 2018, 12:31

Wow this looks great. But far beyond my experience. Does anyone sell these ready made for dullards like me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottc

01 Apr 2018, 12:35

I think Orihalcon sold pre-made converters on eBay but I can't find them now - maybe PM him. They were $35 + shipping I believe, which is a hefty price on top of what it'd cost to build your own, but I've heard that they're well-made and come in a ready-to-use package so it may be worth it for you.

scottc

01 Apr 2018, 12:38

Here's the one for the F122: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Soarers- ... SwY45USZdd

This won't fit your use-case since it has a different type of DIN plug but it gives you an idea of the form-factor.

ShivaYash

01 Apr 2018, 15:23

scottc wrote: Here's the one for the F122: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Soarers- ... SwY45USZdd

This won't fit your use-case since it has a different type of DIN plug but it gives you an idea of the form-factor.
Thanks, that is rather on the pricey side... I'll try and message him directly, to see if cheaper and more suitable options are available.

With best wishes,

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Apr 2018, 16:49

If you have a few basic hand tools, this thing is very handy for any keyboard hobbyist:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58 ... msg1348717

I probably built it for slightly less than the price of a single Orihalcon cable, using a genuine Teensy from PJRC, and waited 3 weeks for most of the parts to come from China.

Return to “Off-topic”