Electrical knowledge

ShivaYash

01 Apr 2018, 17:57

Dear all,

A strange question but I have no one else to ask...

I have moved to Berlin and set up home here. This included building a kitchen. Many Germans have an irrational fear of gas, by this I mean for cooking. I can't stand cooking on electric. I imported my own Miele gas hob from the UK and have converted this to run on LPG bottles, the landlord here did not want me to pipe natural gas into the gas, even though the main boiler for heating runs off gas!

So my question... there is no electrical socket near to the gas cooker, meaning I must use a kitchen lighter to get the flame going. Its not a chore but I wonder, is there a cheap way of using a battery, via an inverter, to 'plug-in' the gas cooker hob, to use the internal ignitor? Given that all the battery will do is spark around 10-15 times per day, it should last for ages. I had a quick look on Amazon.de and inverters are EXPENSIVE... I am after a more DIY solution, and hope an electrical whizz on here could point me in the right direction. Essentially what I am asking is this, could I run a 13-amp plug socket (UK or EU) off a battery? Like an old radio battery.

Thanks,

Findecanor

01 Apr 2018, 18:17

Or ... buy an induction stove. They are considered as fast as a gas and both more energy-efficient and safer than regular electric. The big drawback is that all cookware has to have steel/iron in the bottom, so aluminium or copper pots won't work.

ShivaYash

01 Apr 2018, 18:56

Findecanor wrote: Or ... buy an induction stove. They are considered as fast as a gas and both more energy-efficient and safer than regular electric. The big drawback is that all cookware has to have steel/iron in the bottom, so aluminium or copper pots won't work.
Read above... I don't like electric or induction for that matter and I don't have an electrical socket there.

PS. I got the IKEA single induction hot plate and its nice. Ideal for emergency use.

Kurplop

08 Apr 2018, 14:16

Have you considered adapting an igniter used for outdoor grills? They are readily available at home improvement stores.

Make sure you have proper ventilation when using gas.

Return to “Off-topic”