Chinese users of Deskthority!

Slom

28 Apr 2018, 10:57

Mr.Nobody wrote: @matt3o
Good to know you want to fight and make things right, you can start from your own countries, I know in many European countries, prostitution is legal, which makes trafficking women from Eastern Europe and turning them into sex slaves literally a business.
So, to your knowledge, is Germany one of those Countries?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

28 Apr 2018, 12:48

I have several Chinese friends that I met in school and they want to stay here in the States if they can get their visas extended. Explain what draws them to want to stay here?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2018, 13:05

Blaise170 wrote: I have several Chinese friends that I met in school and they want to stay here in the States if they can get their visas extended. Explain what draws them to want to stay here?
that doesn't mean anything. different people have different goals.

Menuhin

28 Apr 2018, 14:05

Let's redirect the discussion to examination of ideas and statements and their validity.

Somehow a few comments above reminds me of Liam Neeson:
Perhaps the screenwriters (of "Taken") have done some research; however, Albania was around the war zone which made developing of these organized human trafficking crimes (modern slavery - basically has to do with kidnapping, abduction, trafficking) quite possible, logistically and also their training - trafficking are situational crimes where traffickers take opportunities.

From p.45 on Albanians convicted in Italy.
https://www.unodc.org/documents/Global_ ... on_TIP.pdf

Report by European Parliament estimated in 2016:
20.9 Million people are trafficked and the traffickers made 117 billion Euros profit out of the human trafficking business.
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/h ... -worldwide

Situation in China
https://www.ft.com/content/9704cbdc-8ea ... 06bf20cc2b
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_in_China

Situation in the US - very promptly reacted to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Life_ ... efuge_case
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-quak ... 3J20100206

Mr.Nobody

29 Apr 2018, 14:52

@Laser
Vice versa, I'm also trying to help you guys see things from a differnt perspective.

@ slom
I watched a documentary (on Youtube) addressing the German sex industry, many brothels are strategically located near the Germany-France border.

@Blaise170
US of A is still the land of opportunity especailly when you want to do something innovative.

Every government/society has its dark side, because the human factor is the bottle neck, maybe when AI becomes a thing, the whole game will be changed forever.

RealityCavesIn

30 Apr 2018, 14:19

Mr.Nobody wrote: Every government/society has its dark side, because the human factor is the bottle neck, maybe when AI becomes a thing, the whole game will be changed forever.
I for one would welcome our robot overlords if it ment I could get some proper wonton soup in my little corner of the world :D

Mr.Nobody

03 May 2018, 02:28

RealityCavesIn wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: Every government/society has its dark side, because the human factor is the bottle neck, maybe when AI becomes a thing, the whole game will be changed forever.
I for one would welcome our robot overlords if it ment I could get some proper wonton soup in my little corner of the world :D
Hopefull the strong AI could have ethics as high as its intelligence, so we meatbags won't get exterminated.

green-squid

05 May 2018, 18:40

There has been some controversy about some nobody on twitter getting upset at an American woman wearing a Chinese dress for prom night. Wearing one is completely fine (and pretty nice, if you are a woman), of course, but I'm interested in what you chinese DTers think.

ba7777
飞不动的加林查

06 May 2018, 15:10

How could that be a problem? I don't get it.

green-squid

06 May 2018, 15:16

ba7777 wrote: How could that be a problem? I don't get it.
I have no idea.

__red__

06 May 2018, 22:19

green-squid wrote:
ba7777 wrote: How could that be a problem? I don't get it.
I have no idea.
The concept is "cultural appropriation" and its roots go back to the idea of someone wearing/doing something that they hadn't culturally earned.

Starting from an example that I think most people would understand:

Somebody goes out an buys military medals and a uniform and wears it out in public. (That's actually a crime in some parts on the United States which is interesting to me since I would have assumed it fell under the first amendment).

Now, instead of medals and military dress which is something most westerns would recognize, take something akin in a "foreign culture". Say there are certain types of clothing that are "earned" in some cultures like say feathers on a headdress or a certain type of robe / makeup for geishas (which requires years and years of training).

Since Western culture is becoming the dominant culture there is a sense of 'devaluing' the achievements of those in those other cultuures of those clothing items become mainstream in those cultures. It's the concept of "don't punch down".

Does it apply to the case above? I personally have no opinion as I know little to nothing about chinese culture, but of the few people I know who are aware of chinese culture they didn't see the dress as having any of that kind of symbolism so it didn't bother them.

Mr.Nobody

08 May 2018, 06:29

How could that be a problem, Chinese people love seeing foreigners do Chinese stuff, if a foreign talks and dresses like Chinese do, it's some kind of acknowledgement in Chinese's eyes. But we don't think foreign women look better in Traditional Chinese costumes, vice versa, it looks unnatually, imagine a Chinese woman in Victorian clothes....

__red__

09 May 2018, 22:35

Mr.Nobody wrote: How could that be a problem,
The answer to that, is culture... In some cultures, they may say "how could you not?"
it looks unnatually, imagine a Chinese woman in Victorian clothes....
That doesn't seen even the slightest bit odd to me at all.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 May 2018, 23:46

There's at least one way in which China is a better country than Western ones. :evilgeek:

They aren't waging wars and bombing people around the world for control of oil and other riches. Their Lebensraum story stops at Taiwan and Tibet.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 May 2018, 00:40

You‘re completely ignoring what‘s happening in the „South China Sea“

webwit
Wild Duck

10 May 2018, 00:51

And some might argue Korea. But the premise is that if they'd forcefully put a puppet government in the Netherlands to harvest the gas fields, and bomb the resistance terrorists and everyone near, to set an example, with it, morally it would be hypocritical to complain.

fohat
Elder Messenger

10 May 2018, 01:52

__red__ wrote:
(That's actually a crime in some parts on the United States which is interesting to me since I would have assumed it fell under the first amendment).
You may be too young to know about some or many of the past attacks on the First Amendment (although the current administration is hard at work on it).

In my time, for example, after wave after wave of Republicans became enraged about people burning the flag, and, after being told time and again that it was "unconstitutional" to restrict someone's right to express himself by burning a flag in protest of some governmental action, they embarked on relentless actions to create a new constitutional amendment to allow the criminalization of flag-burning, specifically. Never mind freedom of "expression", it was the expression itself, which they didn't like, that they sought to forbid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Dese ... _Amendment

Personally, I have come fear and loathe the power of symbols in general and political and religious symbols in particular. A symbol is an ephemeral abstraction with no real substance of its own, and yet many times it comes to almost eclipse the actual thing that it stands for.

Mr.Nobody

10 May 2018, 06:26

There is a good Channel on Youtube called Geographynow that introduces every country on this planet in alphabetical order. From this channnel I know that most countries(probably including yours) have border-related skirmishes with their neighbours for some historical reasons, it's part of reality, but if a country claims something on the other side of the world with brutal military force, that's another story.

As to HK,TW,Tibet, etc...
Canada has Quebec, the UK has Northern Ireland, Spain has Catalunya, we have Taiwan and Tibet, the difference is most of the population there are not even in favor of independence. The problem is, because of language barriers, you have only one source for info and you believe what your media told you, I have access to both so I can check from different perspectives.

The South China Sea isn't even controversial, yes, geographically it's nearer to other South Asian countries, but geographically Alaska is nearer to Russia. A country 's border is not merely defined by geographical proximity, but also by history.
Maybe in Western mindset, the strong must have the tendency to bully the weak, what happened in history and what's happening in the world proves this mentality vividly; but in Eastern ethics, the real strong is the one who protects the weak and maintain justice,hence in our mindset, if you want to show you are strong, you must show you are fair and protective enough. that's why China doesn't bully countries aournd us but treat them as good neighbours, you don't beat up your neighbour unless he attempts to steal from you little by little... even after you've warned him for several times.

green-squid

10 May 2018, 14:24

Yeah but they are just making random sand islands in the middle of the sea and they are putting military on them. I don't think their intention is to build sandcastles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luTPMHC7zHY

Menuhin

10 May 2018, 15:34

Mr.Nobody wrote: ...
but in Eastern ethics, the real strong is the one who protects the weak and maintain justice,hence in our mindset, if you want to show you are strong, you must show you are fair and protective enough. that's why China doesn't bully countries aournd us but treat them as good neighbours, you don't beat up your neighbour unless he attempts to steal from you little by little... even after you've warned him for several times.
Cannot agree with these points for some reasons:
- Geographical and political borders have stabilized for the most parts, but the real practice in the world is still divide and conquer. For example, the massive domination over smaller manufacturers by giant Chinese companies, the gutting up of Nokia by MicroSoft. The rule to play with has never been "fair and protective", it is just opting for the most beneficial. Be frank, can PRC win over the heart of people in Japan and Korea in just a sheer theoretical case of ruling over them? I mean there's a big loss cost to rule over a place that one cannot efficient rule and let people cooperate with you. There is still a lot of "soft skills" and propaganda tactics to learn in the case of Hong Kong and Taiwan for the PRC.
What I do hear good words about PRC are from countries that are further away from the PRC or even from Asia: African countries think China is finally a big country that treats them fairly, and so similarly does many middle Eastern countries think.
- The case of „South China Sea“ is not just "...your neighbour ... attempts to steal from you little by little... even after you've warned him for several times..."
First, those tiny deserted islands might have some historical reasons to be part of China, however some think that can be controversial. On top of that, even if those are undisputedly Chinese deserted islands, their sizes are not operational - neither for docking nor for construction support.
Second, that location is actually along the exact primary oil shipping routes to all east Asian countries, Japan and Korea included - some people name these locations "Geographic Choke Points". US navy has great presence there, to "defend" of course. For the Chinese, having some counter-measures to the proximity to these crucial "choke points" enable them to secure their energy need just in case (not everything is nuclear-powered, when large number of things have to be mobilized in emergency).

As to the legal basis of whether or how such project can be done, e.g. like the Northstar Island by Royal Dutch Shell in Alaska, I do not have friends specialize in International law.

On July 7yh 2017, the United Nations adopted the first treaty imposing a total ban on nuclear weapons. This Nuclear Prohibition Treaty covers all aspects of nuclear weapons, including their use and threat of use, testing, development, possession, sharing and stationing in a different country. "... The nine countries generally recognized as possessing nuclear weapons — the U.S., Russia, Britain, China, France, India, Pakistan, North Korea, and Israel — were noticeably absent from the negotiations, as were most members of NATO. ..." Some of these absentees even refused to sign the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
I guess that is how rulers of countries treat "International laws".

Mr.Nobody

11 May 2018, 14:07

@Menuhin
To make things even more complicated, some miniature islands on the South China Sea are becoming rocks because of the rise of sea level and some rocks are artificially expanded into miniature islands by some south Asian countries. Because a rock in the middle of the sea can NOT claim any territory rights, however, a tiny island can. Nonetheless, how to define what is a rock and what is a tiny island is vague.

I'm not familiar with the Non-proliferation stuff, but in my impression, the nuke-owners are more than willing to sign, but others who desire to develop their own nuke are not(Including North Korea). The nuke-owners are basically say" Boys, we have this superweapon, but you guys shouldn't have it, so let's sign this non-proliferation treaty okay?" North Korea replied:"No way, I saw how Saddam and Gaddafi ended up without Nuke in hand, I won't sign your bloody treaty."

Return to “Off-topic”