Whatever happened to ________?

Lbibass

15 Nov 2019, 17:46

Blaise170 wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 16:08
I'm alive. Indeed, 2019 is probably the worst year I've ever experienced. But I hope to start being active around here again. Anyone who has needed me in the meantime... Sorry for the delays.

Glad to hear that you're back! Hope 2020 will be a better year for you. :)

Muirium
µ

28 Apr 2020, 20:54

For what it’s worth, no I did not engineer coronavirus. Well, not this one, at any rate.

ZedTheMan

28 Apr 2020, 20:56

Gonna miss ya blaise. Damn. We lost him apparently according to some very recent reports.

mcmaxmcmc

28 Apr 2020, 22:15

ZedTheMan wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 20:56
Gonna miss ya blaise. Damn. We lost him apparently according to some very recent reports.
Ironic... and unfortunate.

Iwaju

22 Sep 2020, 21:47

what happened to the science elf? he used to be LGR's competitor in the electronic history YouTube scene.

oh wait he posted a video two months ago XD

Yasu0

23 Sep 2020, 20:00

I don't know specifically about the previously mentioned users, but I can tell you this. When something is novel and secret-club like, that can be a large part of its charm in chatting about it on forums. Then if it goes mainstream.. it can lose some of that cult special feels. Seems like mech keyboards are experiencing going more mainstream. You get this huge influx of unwashed noobs on the forums wanting in on your special little hobby. Which can be both good and bad..

If you look at it this way- what are the results of the work Soarer has done? He has made it possible for utility to come back to worthless old boards. So these historic boards stay out of landfills under millions of tons of dell laptops and hp chrome books and kuerig cups crushing them to pieces. Which is good. Also the result is, now there is a huge demand for old boards which used to be cheap and easy to grab at good will. Now they are $200 instead of $2, which can be demoralizing if that was your thing. Those are my thoughts. Or it could be a thing where its like "mission accomplished" and I'm out, on a more positive note..

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Sep 2020, 20:31

Yasu0 wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 20:00
[…] going more mainstream. You get this huge influx of unwashed noobs on the forums […]
[…] Or it could be a thing where its like "mission accomplished" […].
My preference goes to the "unwashed noobs" explanation :lol:

Yasu0

23 Sep 2020, 20:51

Please let us know beforehand on your release date.
Muirium wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 20:54
For what it’s worth, no I did not engineer coronavirus. Well, not this one, at any rate.

Ascaii
The Beard

29 May 2021, 15:20

rodtang wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 16:11
Looks like Ascaii hasn't been on in ages. He was a good dude. He was cutting down when he was still here so I'm not surprised he left entirely.

Real life and family is more important than keyboards after all.

I myself stopped coming around since I haven't had a computer for over 4 years now
IM BACK. Not sure fvor how long, but i'm enjoying myself right now.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2021, 15:48

Hey!

Just stay out of the scheduled internet shitshow and you'll be fine. 8-)

raoulduke-esq

29 May 2021, 15:51

How I feel looking in that thread must be how the rest of the world feels when looking at the USA conducting international relations and wars.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2021, 15:56

Sadly, you're more or less right. I'm much happier to be *not* American these days than I was when growing up. You guys have real problems, and the biggest one is even getting started on dealing with them.

raoulduke-esq

29 May 2021, 16:04

Muirium wrote:
the biggest one is even getting started on dealing with them.
Goodness yes. When every decision is bounded inside the prison of "will this hurt my chances of reelection" it's tough to do anything that makes sense, is right, goes against the status quo, or is uncomfortable in the present but crucial for the future. Same goes for publicly traded corporations and "growth." It's never good enough to just be good because you always have to deliver growth and a nice dividend in the next quarter so you make decisions that rot the foundation instead of strengthening it and your company off the balance sheets starts to resemble a certain portrait of a certain Dorian Gray. What do we do to show profit growth this quarter? Oh- let's cut benefits again. Doesn't matter that 5yrs from now these investments we're making will show a return- I need to show profit NOW...

I could whinge all day.

depletedvespene

29 May 2021, 16:38

Muirium wrote:
Sadly, you're more or less right. I'm much happier to be *not* American these days than I was when growing up. You guys have real problems, and the biggest one is even getting started on dealing with them.
Yet that is NOWHERE as bad as things are going in my country. :( :( :(

depletedvespene

29 May 2021, 16:41

raoulduke-esq wrote:
29 May 2021, 16:04
…Doesn't matter that 5yrs from now these investments we're making will show a return- I need to show profit NOW...
The sempiternal problem of "now" vs. "future" applies to oh so many areas. I can't count the amount of times I got into arguments at the Green Mud Bank because I was the only one aware that the savings of putting something into production as fast as possible would imply decades of massive spending in future maintenance. :evil:

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 May 2021, 03:10

Muirium wrote:

the biggest one is even getting started
Well, at least we got started by getting rid of the biggest one.

But changing the milieu that allowed the biggest one to exist is a near-insurmountable undertaking.

rodtang

01 Jun 2021, 22:54

Ascaii wrote:
Welcome back bud

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Jun 2021, 23:03

Ascaii wrote:
rodtang wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 16:11
Looks like Ascaii hasn't been on in ages. He was a good dude. He was cutting down when he was still here so I'm not surprised he left entirely.

Real life and family is more important than keyboards after all.

I myself stopped coming around since I haven't had a computer for over 4 years now
Welcome back! also yeah stay out of that thread :laughinginpainemoji:

Ascaii
The Beard

06 Jun 2021, 16:31

Actually, I've been sleuthing on that thread since page 1, giggling into my beard.

ifohancroft

10 Jun 2021, 12:16

What happened to manisteinn? He used to take his time to reply to PMs, but I haven't heard from him in probably half an year. Does anyone know if he's ok?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Oct 2021, 13:17

brandonsmith87 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 12:45
You get this massive inflow of unwashed noobs on the boards who want to join your exclusive little hobby. This has the potential to be both good and destructive.
[http://spam…]
Simply disregard the previous spam post by brandonsmith87.

TNT

08 Oct 2021, 13:37

Wth were his intentions? Trolling? Doesn't seem like a bot, right?

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2021, 13:55

Our spammers are so low traffic, I think they're manual. Some poor bloke in Pakistan, as I remember from the logs, probably covering a thousand unrelated forums.

TNT

08 Oct 2021, 14:30

Muirium wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 13:55
[...] Some poor bloke in Pakistan, as I remember from the logs, [...]
Wym? What logs?

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2021, 16:21

Oh, years and years and really quite an embarrassment of years ago, Webwit gave me admin rôle. You only joined in 2019? You won't remember the Deskthority Club days then! I was Club Secretary for a while, a while in which I proved quite inadequate! :lol:

I did used to have account deletion powers, though. And I remember there being a lot of stuff like this.

TNT

08 Oct 2021, 16:33

Thanks for explaining that. I've read rumors about an ominous club in some old posts some time ago and always wondered what that could have been. Interesting

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2021, 16:40

In short, we kinda failed Webwit in the end, and that's why he sold to the new lad. I don't blame him for taking the money (however much it was, I do not know). Webwit's been quite clear that he wanted to hand it over for someone else to manage for many years.

raoulduke-esq

08 Oct 2021, 17:10

So… we can blame you for this Oliver nightmare?

TNT

08 Oct 2021, 17:13

Yeah, let's do that

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2021, 18:03

raoulduke-esq wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 17:10
So… we can blame you for this Oliver nightmare?
TNT wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 17:13
Yeah, let's do that
If you like. Which evidently you do! :roll:

I’ve always made it very clear indeed that I ain’t forking out cash for intangibles. (Enough trouble buying tangible items already.) So I was never in the running for buying the site. Let’s put it that way.

How else do you think I wound up with such a lousy club membership serial number? Same reason as I’ve never had an industrial Model M!

Return to “Off-topic”