Been out of keyboards for awhile. What's the state of the game?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 14:56

So what's hot these days?

Is deskthority still the place to be and has not been tranformed into an extension of reddit?

Are Model Fs and beamsprings still the cream of the crop?

Are there any new Topre keyboards I should try?

green-squid

14 May 2018, 15:08

vivalarevolución wrote: So what's hot these days?
Same things, probably.
vivalarevolución wrote: Is deskthority still the place to be and has not been tranformed into an extension of reddit?
Absolutely.
vivalarevolución wrote: Are Model Fs and beamsprings still the cream of the crop?
yeah, for better or worse (beamer prices are completely unreasonable)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 15:16

What's the latest on beam spring prices? I saw a Cyrillic one on Ebay for over $2,000. Either the dollar has lost value or prices are off the charts.

green-squid

14 May 2018, 15:21

vivalarevolución wrote: What's the latest on beam spring prices? I saw a Cyrillic one on Ebay for over $2,000. Either the dollar has lost value or prices are off the charts.
$800 - and up

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 15:25

Good lord. Maybe I won't bring mine to a meetup, I don't want them to disappear.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

14 May 2018, 15:25

You should try BKE domes, bud.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 15:32

ramnes wrote: You should try BKE domes, bud.
Are these vintage or new replacement domes?

depletedvespene

14 May 2018, 15:36

The usual.
vivalarevolución wrote: Is deskthority still the place to be and has not been tranformed into an extension of reddit?
No. This in spite of a certain newcomer that doesn't understand minimal concepts of proper behaviour in an online forum.

And reddit keeps, somehow, getting worse. :?
vivalarevolución wrote: Are Model Fs and beamsprings still the cream of the crop?
Why, yes. And inflated market prices are still a pest.
vivalarevolución wrote: Are there any new Topre keyboards I should try?
Of course not. BUT I did score a Wyse keyboard for very little money that chyros' tells us that's similar enough to Topre to get a feeling if one would like it. So I'll soon get a better idea of how much to dispise Topre. :mrgreen:

green-squid

14 May 2018, 15:46

depletedvespene wrote:
No. This in spite of a certain newcomer that doesn't understand minimal concepts of proper behaviour in an online forum.
What? I single-handedly ruined this forum? :(

I have changed now! I'm not like how I used to be.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 May 2018, 15:56

green-squid wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: […] a certain newcomer that doesn't understand minimal concepts of proper behaviour in an online forum.

Don't worry, someone else was meant: product-news-f44/keyboard-project-with- ... 18934.html
You're fully OK, and even in your worst times you did not even come near the nuisance that guy was (or perhaps still is :lol: )

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 16:40

Lol, I looked up recent beam spring selling prices here and on Ebay. They are going for at least 3 times what I paid whenever I got mine. And when I bought mine, they were in possession of the seller for quite some time before they sold it to me. Serious interest was light.

I think what we need to do is start spamming that beam springs layouts are unusable for daily keyboard usage to help tamper demand (because they kind of are). Sort of like the Model F XT. That should tamp down prices a bit.

So beam springs are unusable for daily usage because of the wonky layouts. Don't buy them, they suck.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 16:41

I've never had an issue with you green-squid, just sometimes you get a bit too... excited.

As to the original topic, DT is still pretty much the same place as ever, some of the old timers have disappeared but I'm sure they are still around (incidentally, you were one of them). I came back after a two year hiatus. There are some new clones out that actually attempt to improve on the Cherry design such as Kailh Box switches. Geekhack is pretty much overrun with group buys and interest checks, I hardly ever see any real discussion there. Reddit is now the definition of a meme, people literally find boards with 20 artisans on them attractive and fun to type on.
vivalarevolución wrote: So beam springs are unusable for daily usage because of the wonky layouts. Don't buy them, they suck.
People already say that but it seems there has been an influx in people with more money than sense into the hobby as of late.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 May 2018, 16:45

Whatever you like. :)
Won't happen although DT is not a club anymore.
In the world of vintage IBM boards yes.
vivalarevolución wrote: Are there any new Topre keyboards I should try?
I believe there are chinese Topre clones now that are worth trying.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 16:56

Blaise170 wrote: I've never had an issue with you green-squid, just sometimes you get a bit too... excited.

As to the original topic, DT is still pretty much the same place as ever, some of the old timers have disappeared but I'm sure they are still around (incidentally, you were one of them). I came back after a two year hiatus. There are some new clones out that actually attempt to improve on the Cherry design such as Kailh Box switches. Geekhack is pretty much overrun with group buys and interest checks, I hardly ever see any real discussion there. Reddit is now the definition of a meme, people literally find boards with 20 artisans on them attractive and fun to type on.
vivalarevolución wrote: So beam springs are unusable for daily usage because of the wonky layouts. Don't buy them, they suck.
People already say that but it seems there has been an influx in people with more money than sense into the hobby as of late.
Well, I might stick around for awhile, because other parts of the Internet that I visited in the meantime were overrun by low quality, spammy posts or rampant racism/bigotry/what-have-you. I forgot how how pleasant and chummy it is around here, even if there are occasional dust ups.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 17:04

Ha speaking of dust ups, you missed a hilarious one last night from a newcomer.

codemonkeymike

14 May 2018, 17:38

If you skip out on "off-topic" and "marketplace" there are esentially no dust ups. That being said, I think you missed out on the rise in price of Brown Alps and White Alps, both of which have gone threw the roof. Brown Alps being the new(ish) hotness, and White Alps as a resonable replacement for those who can't afford Blue Alps.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 17:51

Blue Alps have actually stabilized in price, they aren't (much) higher than when I left in 2016. The real rise in price came 2015 and into 2016 where they went from around $50/keyboard to around $150/keyboard. I can find them pretty readily at those prices.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 18:01

codemonkeymike wrote: If you skip out on "off-topic" and "marketplace" there are esentially no dust ups. That being said, I think you missed out on the rise in price of Brown Alps and White Alps, both of which have gone threw the roof. Brown Alps being the new(ish) hotness, and White Alps as a resonable replacement for those who can't afford Blue Alps.
Do people know that Matias switches are superior to White and Brown Alps? I never found anything particularly special about those. Blue Alps is pretty unique, though.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

14 May 2018, 18:06

green-squid wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:

Not you, that other dude. you're just too energetic for some people here :lol:

codemonkeymike

14 May 2018, 18:06

vivalarevolución wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: If you skip out on "off-topic" and "marketplace" there are esentially no dust ups. That being said, I think you missed out on the rise in price of Brown Alps and White Alps, both of which have gone threw the roof. Brown Alps being the new(ish) hotness, and White Alps as a resonable replacement for those who can't afford Blue Alps.
Do people know that Matias switches are superior to White and Brown Alps? I never found anything particularly special about those. Blue Alps is pretty unique, though.
Matias Clickys sound wise are for sure worse then White Alps. Feel wise its in the eye of the beholder, personally I would prefer new Matias Clicky over lightly used White Alps. If I could get fair priced NOS White Alps then I would prefer them. Brown Alps are a whole different animal, more comparable to Halo/Hako switches. The Brown Alps are leaps better then Halo/Hako switches.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 18:14

codemonkeymike wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
Matias Clickys sound wise are for sure worse then White Alps. Feel wise its in the eye of the beholder, personally I would prefer new Matias Clicky over lightly used White Alps. If I could get fair priced NOS White Alps then I would prefer them. Brown Alps are a whole different animal, more comparable to Halo/Hako switches. The Brown Alps are leaps better then Halo/Hako switches.
To each their own. I'm out of the Alps game, anyways, as I prefer IBM for my clicky experience and Topre for my non-clicky tactile experience.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

14 May 2018, 18:16

vivalarevolución wrote: Do people know that Matias switches are superior to White and Brown Alps? I never found anything particularly special about those. Blue Alps is pretty unique, though.
hahahaha

I see someone has never used good condition brown/white alps

Menuhin

14 May 2018, 18:42

vivalarevolución wrote: Been out of keyboards for awhile. What's the state of the game?
I have the same answer basically any time you ask this answer:
Pull (yourself) out before it is too late.

By the way, perhaps they are not "hot", no one has yet mentioned the re-tooled Cherry blacks and the new Kailh box switches.
I admit they are not Kobe beef or high grade Yagyu or carefully dry-aged beef, but they can be one's reliable staples foods with least invested time/effort and money.

If you are a hunter for relics and/or a flipper, those are in the "hall of fame" are still sought after as always.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 18:47

Menuhin wrote: By the way, perhaps they are not "hot", no one has yet mentioned the re-tooled Cherry blacks and the new Kailh box switches.
Blaise170 wrote: There are some new clones out that actually attempt to improve on the Cherry design such as Kailh Box switches.
:lol:

Menuhin

14 May 2018, 19:03

Blaise170 wrote:
Menuhin wrote: By the way, perhaps they are not "hot", no one has yet mentioned the re-tooled Cherry blacks and the new Kailh box switches.
Blaise170 wrote: There are some new clones out that actually attempt to improve on the Cherry design such as Kailh Box switches.
:lol:
Another instance to support that I'm a bit dyslexic. :shock:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 19:15

mike52787 wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: Do people know that Matias switches are superior to White and Brown Alps? I never found anything particularly special about those. Blue Alps is pretty unique, though.
hahahaha

That's entirely possible. I do recall that Brown Alps were nice, but White Alps never seemed very special to me.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

14 May 2018, 19:54

vivalarevolución wrote:
mike52787 wrote:
hahahaha

That's entirely possible. I do recall that Brown Alps were nice, but White Alps never seemed very special to me.
Yeah, white alps are nothing special, but I would give the nod to them above matias click. Although after recently getting my "endgame" blue alps board (LE DC-3014) I have pretty much stopped paying attention to clicky alps.

Personally I think matias quiet click are quite horrible, on par with cream dampened/bamboo black alps. The three first gen tactile alps (Orange Cream and Brown) cannot be beat in my opinion. I do however love topre and ergo clears as well, really it's a different ball game though.

Menuhin

14 May 2018, 21:00

mike52787 wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
mike52787 wrote: hahahaha

Yeah, white alps are nothing special, but I would give the nod to them above matias click. Although after recently getting my "endgame" blue alps board (LE DC-3014) I have pretty much stopped paying attention to clicky alps.

Personally I think matias quiet click are quite horrible, on par with cream dampened/bamboo black alps. The three first gen tactile alps (Orange Cream and Brown) cannot be beat in my opinion. I do however love topre and ergo clears as well, really it's a different ball game though.
This thread is quickly dominated by the Alps guys - who indeed have lots to discuss because of the versions and history of Alps switches. To be fair, black pines are not that common and they are nice; the early dampened Alps - cream dampened pines are also better than the dampened bamboos.

I'm keen to perform some testing on how accurate one can tell what the switches are, e.g. while blind-folded or while the PCB, plate, and case are kept constant. It can be like blind-folded typing for 3 minutes on an unknown keyboard, and then said, "top-mounted, PBT caps, lubed nixies". And ended up - totally miraculously correct. :lol:
Last edited by Menuhin on 14 May 2018, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 21:06

I think DT has more of a leaning towards Alps since they are no longer produced and this forum is much more receptive to the vintage stuff. People (especially on Reddit) tend to scoff at Alps stuff unless you've completely rebuilt it into a modern chassis.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 May 2018, 21:11

I've always considered DT to be pretty balanced when it came to switches. The second most active thread on DT is about MX compatible keycaps ...

Then there's also the very strong IBM fraction ...

And I am sure some Hi-Tek pervs can be found around here as well.

Return to “Off-topic”