Been out of keyboards for awhile. What's the state of the game?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 21:20

I quite like NEC Oval switches myself - unfortunately I have no idea how to convert my PC-9801 keyboard though.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 May 2018, 23:11

lot_lizard is still AWOL and the M/F project is on indefinite hold. That is the big event.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 23:54

mike52787 wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
mike52787 wrote: Yeah, white alps are nothing special, but I would give the nod to them above matias click. Although after recently getting my "endgame" blue alps board (LE DC-3014) I have pretty much stopped paying attention to clicky alps.

Personally I think matias quiet click are quite horrible, on par with cream dampened/bamboo black alps. The three first gen tactile alps (Orange Cream and Brown) cannot be beat in my opinion. I do however love topre and ergo clears as well, really it's a different ball game though.
I actually find Matias quiet click to be my second favorite Alps-style switch after Blue Alps. And favorite non-clicky Alps switch. We just aren't on the same page here. Oh well.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 May 2018, 23:55

fohat wrote: lot_lizard is still AWOL and the M/F project is on indefinite hold. That is the big event.
Well, somebody needs to get their head out of their A and take it over. Let's stop stumbling around and take some responsiblity!

depletedvespene

15 May 2018, 00:04

vivalarevolución wrote:
fohat wrote: lot_lizard is still AWOL and the M/F project is on indefinite hold. That is the big event.
Well, somebody needs to get their head out of their A and take it over. Let's stop stumbling around and take some responsiblity!
You do it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 May 2018, 00:07

Blaise170 wrote: I think DT has more of a leaning towards Alps since they are no longer produced and this forum is much more receptive to the vintage stuff. People (especially on Reddit) tend to scoff at Alps stuff unless you've completely rebuilt it into a modern chassis.
and with cherry mx compatibility, you gotta show off those artisan keycaps somewhere

scottc

15 May 2018, 00:11

I honestly think that Matias switches are better than many of the less interesting genuine Alps variants (salmons, dampened creams, etc etc), so I'm with you here vivalarevolución.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 03:22

matt3o wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: I think DT has more of a leaning towards Alps since they are no longer produced and this forum is much more receptive to the vintage stuff. People (especially on Reddit) tend to scoff at Alps stuff unless you've completely rebuilt it into a modern chassis.
and with cherry mx compatibility, you gotta show off those artisan keycaps somewhere
I think the hobby has transformed into a form of jewelry for tech industry workers. That was apparent years ago, but since I took a step back over the last couple years, it seems to have exploded in that form. There was a meetup here in Indianapolis recently that reportedly had 35-40 people, a number which I thought was previously unreachable in this midwestern backwater. I had no idea what kind of keyboards were there, but the tech industry is growing here, so it probably was a Cherry fest.

Anyways, blah blah blah, get off my lawn, etc.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

15 May 2018, 03:24

vivalarevolución wrote: so it probably was a Cherry fest.

the only people that still use real cherry stuff are enthusiasts though, all the reddit kids are all about the new cherry clones.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 03:27

depletedvespene wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
You do it!
I could do the group buy organizer and shipping part if I took a step back from all my other hobbies, but not sure I want to take a step back from other hobbies, which I do thoroughly enjoy and don't require me to be what is essentially pack mule (note: being a group buy organizer is essentially being a pack mule).
mike52787 wrote:

the only people that still use real cherry stuff are enthusiasts though, all the reddit kids are all about the new cherry clones.
I should have said Cherry MX-mount fest, because that's what I meant.

Also, I am like a reddit kid because I like Gaterons, those always felt like a thoughtful improvement on faults of Cherry. Are all the Cherry clones still crap, or have some of them improved?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

15 May 2018, 03:58

Kailhs have always been decent and I'd say they are top 3. Gaterons and Gateron-made (e.g. Zealios) are probably top 3 as well, although I'm personally a bit biased against them because about half of my Gaterons have died on my Varmilo. I'll probably be leaving the hobby again soon because there's not much I haven't tried or owned over the years besides. I'll most likely just be wasting time here otherwise.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 04:48

Blaise170 wrote: Kailhs have always been decent and I'd say they are top 3. Gaterons and Gateron-made (e.g. Zealios) are probably top 3 as well, although I'm personally a bit biased against them because about half of my Gaterons have died on my Varmilo. I'll probably be leaving the hobby again soon because there's not much I haven't tried or owned over the years besides. I'll most likely just be wasting time here otherwise.
I would be pretty sour as well if half of the switches on my keyboard died.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

15 May 2018, 05:49

vivalarevolución wrote:
mike52787 wrote:

I should have said Cherry MX-mount fest, because that's what I meant.

Also, I am like a reddit kid because I like Gaterons, those always felt like a thoughtful improvement on faults of Cherry. Are all the Cherry clones still crap, or have some of them improved?
Well, gateron has always been crap in my eyes. The only cherry switches that are truly worth using to me are vintage blacks, vintage browns, and ergo clears. I don't think any of the clones hold a candle to those particular switches.

mcmaxmcmc

15 May 2018, 06:18

How does the "old" SMK 2nd Gen switches (MX Mount w/ click leaf) compare to the "newer" MX clones & the BOXes?

zrrion

15 May 2018, 06:53

vivalarevolución wrote: it probably was a Cherry fest.
In fairness I did show up with vintage boards, I just showed up after the meet up was almost over :p I'll get the time right next time

Hak Foo

15 May 2018, 07:50

I will agree it's become about the decoration to quite an extent. I have an endgame ALPS board on my desk (Omnikey with Blackheart PCB, new Matias clickie, mostly new Tai-Hao doubleshots) and all I can think is "keycaps not matching... keycaps not matching".

I just ordered a bunch of Box Navy switches to refit my GH-122... I say it's because of fear-of-missing-out on the new click experience, but really, it's because I have a gorgeous USD100 keyset on it.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 May 2018, 13:43

vivalarevolución wrote: Do people know that Matias switches are superior to White and Brown Alps? I never found anything particularly special about those. Blue Alps is pretty unique, though.
People should know that is NOT THE CASE ! Matias switches aren't total crap but nowhere as nice as clean unworn original Alps SKCM / SKCL.

wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 14:37

zrrion wrote:
In fairness I did show up with vintage boards, I just showed up after the meet up was almost over :p I'll get the time right next time
Don't mind me, I'm just an old, grouchy, pretentious, elitist, douch canoe.
seebart wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: Do people know that Matias switches are superior to White and Brown Alps? I never found anything particularly special about those. Blue Alps is pretty unique, though.
People should know that is NOT THE CASE ! Matias switches aren't total crap but nowhere as nice as clean unworn original Alps SKCM / SKCL.

Do you have some vintage keybaords to sell? What's going on here?

One of my other beefs with vintage Alps is finding them in clean working conditoon is such a hassle that I don't even bother.

And I found a spring swap between the Matias Linear and Matias quiet tactile makes both more tolerable. I just prefer something that works and is tolerable rather than endlessly scrouging around for the Holy Grail of Alps.

green-squid

15 May 2018, 15:09

By the way, my man blaise is doing a GB for new old stock Yellow alps for very cheap, may want to get some!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 15:18

green-squid wrote: By the way, my man blaise is doing a GB for new old stock Yellow alps for very cheap, may want to get some!
Thanks, but I have sworn off Alps mainly to simplify the hobby for myself.

seebart

15 May 2018, 15:27

vivalarevolución wrote:
zrrion wrote:
Don't mind me, I'm just an old, grouchy, pretentious, elitist, douch canoe.
seebart wrote:

Do you have some vintage keybaords to sell? What's going on here?

One of my other beefs with vintage Alps is finding them in clean working conditoon is such a hassle that I don't even bother.

And I found a spring swap between the Matias Linear and Matias quiet tactile makes both more tolerable. I just prefer something that works and is tolerable rather than endlessly scrouging around for the Holy Grail of Alps.
Sure, what are you looking for?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 16:27

Beamer, bro. A load of beamers.

seebart

15 May 2018, 16:58

vivalarevolución wrote: Beamer, bro. A load of beamers.
Hmm...no can do sorry. I "only" bot three left.

bujorc

15 May 2018, 18:21

seebart wrote: Sure, what are you looking for?

Uhm... sorry for stepping in, what are you offering? PM me... and only me :)

seebart

15 May 2018, 18:28

bujorc wrote:
seebart wrote: Sure, what are you looking for?

Uhm... sorry for stepping in, what are you offering? PM me... and only me :)
Not talking to you...therefore no offer. :evilgeek:

chuckdee

15 May 2018, 19:01

Wodan wrote: I've always considered DT to be pretty balanced when it came to switches. The second most active thread on DT is about MX compatible keycaps ...
My impression as well. Get along, and don't take yourself too seriously and it will be fine was my impression.

Also, I like Gaterons, but have been leaning toward Kailh lately. They seem the only manufacturer that is actually trying to innovate.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

15 May 2018, 19:06

vivalarevolución wrote:
ramnes wrote: You should try BKE domes, bud.
Are these vintage or new replacement domes?
Both, there are OG BKE domes and BKE Redux domes. The later are sold upfront on KeyClack: https://www.keyclack.com/product/bkeDomeReplacements

Silenced/lubed Topre with BKE Redux Ultra Light domes are the best tactile switches I've ever typed on so far.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 May 2018, 19:44

ramnes wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
ramnes wrote: You should try BKE domes, bud.
Are these vintage or new replacement domes?
Both, there are OG BKE domes and BKE Redux domes. The later are sold upfront on KeyClack: https://www.keyclack.com/product/bkeDomeReplacements

Silenced/lubed Topre with BKE Redux Ultra Light domes are the best tactile switches I've ever typed on so far.
Whoa, easy there on the bold claims! Beat ever? How much are they paying you?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

15 May 2018, 20:11

Nothing, and I've even paid full price for the domes!

Norman_

16 May 2018, 03:39

There are a bunch of new low profile switches, mostly from khail. khail has in the past year or so really gotten past the funk they were in when the cherry patents first expired and are now actually doing good stuff. They used to be the cherry clone in all of the cheap keyboards, but they are now what gateron was back then: The best MX compatible switches on the market, at a price cheaper than genuine cherry (generally). They've created a new method of adding click to switches and it's quite nice, it's called the click bar. The linears they're making now are also buttery smooth. The new khail switches are what brought me back to MX compatible switches after all these years.

The custom market and clone market has also exploded. Tons of people are designing their own PCBs and cases and stuff like that for all kinds of use cases. Say what you want about how shitty reddit is as a community, it's doing great things for the hobby. So much great talent is being brought in. A rising tide floats all boats, after all.

Return to “Off-topic”