One thousand posts.

green-squid

11 Jun 2018, 21:35

One thousand.

This post marks my 1000th post.
It's insane. I never imagined I would stay here for this long and be this active! I imagined I would just make an account here to have an account in my name in a keyboard community and to just browse for a bit and back to r/mk. Quite the opposite happened!
This is the first forum I've ever joined and been active on, probably because of the hobby and the fact that the layout is not an absolute mess like most forums.
This journey has been absolutely amazing. I love this community and I've learned so much and met so many nice people from all around the world that I otherwise would've never talked to. I owe this community (and the keyboard community as a whole) so damn much that I can't explain it. wow! At first, it was a bit rocky and I upset some people, but I've learned from my mistakes... mostly :)

I started with a G81 and a dirty ass APC alps clone, then the G81 got water spilled on it, then I got a G80-1800, customised it with the caps from the G81, then earlier this year I got the Zenith whose switches let me have money to spend, then I got my Dell Model M from ChewDrebby, then I got the NOS Alps from Blaise (still need to finish that!) for the Zenith chassis, and now, a Model F may be on the horizon (not certain)!

So excited for what's coming in the next few years! I hope you are too! :)

Thank you to everyone from the bottom of my heart! You know who you are.
by the way, here is my first ever post on DT, check it out if you are curious: keyboards-f2/my-keyboard-black-and-whit ... 17469.html
Attachments
Current set up, I've come a long way, haven't I? :-)
Current set up, I've come a long way, haven't I? :-)
20180611_211134.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 5665 times

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

11 Jun 2018, 21:41

shit haha Ive been here for 2 years and havent cracked 1000. congrats.

green-squid

11 Jun 2018, 21:45

mike52787 wrote: shit haha Ive been here for 2 years and havent cracked 1000. congrats.
Thanks bro!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

11 Jun 2018, 21:45

mike52787 wrote: shit haha Ive been here for 2 years and havent cracked 1000. congrats.
same here, hahaha.

Congrats though, GS! 1000 posts in 7 months has to be some kind of record!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Jun 2018, 21:58

Ha when started posting more often you became quite the polarizing topic of the day. As you've seen, the grumps just get grouchy when you interrupt their peace and quiet. But, your posts have gotten much better over time. I'm nearing 2000 posts, I think I had around 1000 when I came back from hiatus in February. :?
//gainsborough wrote: 1000 posts in 7 months has to be some kind of record!
I am a member of another forum (which shall not be named) where back in its heyday I could've easily gotten 1000 posts in a month. That forum is mostly dead now though. I have over 20,000 posts on that forum in about five years (2011 to 2016). :o

green-squid

11 Jun 2018, 22:02

Awesome I have a lot to thank you too, Blaise!

Is the other forum really that dead?

depletedvespene

11 Jun 2018, 22:12

1000 posts in nine months? What an amateur...

Back in my Usenet days, we'd post at least 1000 articles per month, and that was just on the local politics newsgroup! And we bottom-quoted by hand instead of the forum software doing it for us, and we liked it that way! And we used smileys instead of emojis!! Now get off my lawn!!!

Just kidding. :mrgreen: Keep learning about keyboards and keep enjoying them.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Jun 2018, 22:17

green-squid wrote: Awesome I have a lot to thank you too, Blaise!

Is the other forum really that dead?
Ha yeah, it used to be that the Random section would have 40-50 posts every hour, now there's about 4-5 every day! I kind of miss it, but then I also used to waste so much time there that it's kind of a relief.
depletedvespene wrote: 1000 posts in nine months? What an amateur...

Back in my Usenet days, we'd post at least 1000 articles per month, and that was just on the local politics newsgroup! And we bottom-quoted by hand instead of the forum software doing it for us, and we liked it that way! And we used smileys instead of emojis!! Now get off my lawn!!!

Does it count if I use a virtual usenet? :mrgreen:

green-squid

11 Jun 2018, 22:21

depletedvespene wrote: 1000 posts in nine months? What an amateur...

Hahaha thank you man!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jun 2018, 08:44

green-squid wrote: […] At first, it was a bit rocky and I upset some people, but I've learned from my mistakes... mostly :) […]
Sort of :lol:

Congratulations!

green-squid

12 Jun 2018, 09:08

kbdfr wrote:
green-squid wrote: […] At first, it was a bit rocky and I upset some people, but I've learned from my mistakes... mostly :) […]
Sort of :lol:

Congratulations!
Thank you chocolate! ;)

depletedvespene

12 Jun 2018, 13:45

Blaise170 wrote: Does it count if I use a virtual usenet? :mrgreen:
How was the original Usenet not virtual in the first place? :?:

__red__

12 Jun 2018, 13:51

depletedvespene wrote: Back in my Usenet days, we'd post at least 1000 articles per month,
YES!! I remember you from alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.keyboards!

depletedvespene

12 Jun 2018, 13:53

My blow has ben covered! I mean... my cover has been blown! :(

Just don't let people who still respect me as mod-cga learn about it!

codemonkeymike

12 Jun 2018, 13:59

Congrats, I think in about 3 more years I will have 1000 posts too.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

12 Jun 2018, 15:00

depletedvespene wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Does it count if I use a virtual usenet? :mrgreen:
How was the original Usenet not virtual in the first place? :?:
I mean, I am a member of a community that is 100% command line based. It's a throwback to the times of arpanets/usenets, even though it's not actually running on 100MHz CPUs anymore. :roll:

depletedvespene

12 Jun 2018, 15:08

We would have been lucky to have 1000MHz CPUs to begin with! We had to make do with far slower stuff and used enormous yet tiny monitors that sported 25×80 text mode screens and, as a luxury, we could go up to 50×80!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

12 Jun 2018, 15:34

depletedvespene wrote: We would have been lucky to have 1000MHz CPUs to begin with! We had to make do with far slower stuff and used enormous yet tiny monitors that sported 25×80 text mode screens and, as a luxury, we could go up to 50×80!
Depends on how far you are going back. 100 MHz is about right for the late 80s and early 90s. We didn't hit 1000MHz until almost a decade later with processors such as the Intel Celeron and AMD Athlon in 1998. Matter of fact, my first computer was a Compaq with a Pentium II (233 MHz to 450 MHz) and at school I used an iMac G3 which ran a PowerPC 7 series (233 MHz to 700 MHz)! Insane to think that these days running a CPU at 5000-6000 MHz is no big deal. :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jun 2018, 15:38

Don't complain, you never had to use an acoustic coupler :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

12 Jun 2018, 15:43

Blaise170 wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: We would have been lucky to have 1000MHz CPUs to begin with! We had to make do with far slower stuff and used enormous yet tiny monitors that sported 25×80 text mode screens and, as a luxury, we could go up to 50×80!
Depends on how far you are going back. 100 MHz is about right for the late 80s and early 90s. We didn't hit 1000MHz until almost a decade later with processors such as the Intel Celeron and AMD Athlon in 1998. Matter of fact, my first computer was a Compaq with a Pentium II (233 MHz to 450 MHz) and at school I used an iMac G3 which ran a PowerPC 7 series (233 MHz to 700 MHz)! Insane to think that these days running a CPU at 5000-6000 MHz is no big deal. :lol:
My first PC was a 1992 MITAC-branded 80286 with then-astounding 16MHz of processor speed; the hard drive was an ample 40 megabytes big and the RAM was one megabyte... not so much the envy of my friends as the unbelievably colorful VGA display (with which the PC had finally surpassed my old Atari 800XL's capability in graphics (sound cards were still to come at this point).

Green squid, go hug your computer NOW. :mrgreen:

pyrelink

12 Jun 2018, 21:29

That's insane. I haven't even cracked 800 in 4 years! Then again I am usually pretty reluctant to post things unless I feel it could meaningfully contribute to the discussion. I would probably have 2x as many if I didn't delete them before posting for being unworthy :lol:

ideus

12 Jun 2018, 21:33

Other similar forums have very heavy traffic compare with DT. I almost reach 7k at GH, but here the count is of leaser importance because DT tends to gravitate more to quality.

Dingster

13 Jun 2018, 19:30

ideus wrote: Other similar forums have very heavy traffic compare with DT. I almost reach 7k at GH, but here the count is of leaser importance because DT tends to gravitate more to quality.
GH is a prime example of quantity over quality :lol:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

13 Jun 2018, 19:52

Geekhack isn't really that bad, remove all of the IC/GB threads and Geekhack would be pretty much dead. I've been to some forums which are far more quantity over quality (which isn't hard when there is no quality at all).

Return to “Off-topic”