You won the World Cup, why riot?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

28 Aug 2018, 17:40

Mr.Nobody wrote: @vivalarevolución
I have no idea what you were talking about. Being vague won't make you look any better...

@vometia
I'm curious about your previous reply, how the contents make me lose face? Oh...Don't tell me you googled "what Chinese people are afraid of most?" and Google told you "Chinese people fear lose face most", and you came back to post that reply...Since you mentioned the "lose and safe face" stuff, I suddenly realized, maybe it's because my threads and posts make someone here lose a lot of face and they can't save it anyway so they turn their cheeks. What's the next move, bury heads like ostriches do? :lol:
I just got a haircut, so I'm looking pretty good right now, thank you very much.

vometia
irritant

28 Aug 2018, 19:11

vivalarevolución wrote: I just got a haircut, so I'm looking pretty good right now, thank you very much.
I had my hair restyled a few months back, and though my avatar probably isn't the best advertisement for... well, anything, I'm actually really pleased with it. Better than when I had it really long, and certainly better than when I did a Sera from Inquisition and tried to cut it with a kitchen implement and alcohol.

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2018, 19:36

Rocking a blond beard and skinhead myself these days. The usual modern Scotsman! We are a baldy folk…

green-squid

28 Aug 2018, 20:16

c'mon guys! This is a DUCK thread okay?

There is a goose (almost duck right???) game coming out for the Nintendo Switch and it looks fun and goofy :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

28 Aug 2018, 20:34

vometia
irritant

28 Aug 2018, 20:37

Muirium wrote: Rocking a blond beard and skinhead myself these days. The usual modern Scotsman! We are a baldy folk…
Seems I mostly inherited the very burnable skin. This summer was entertaining. It's already gone back to its usual paper colour, the redness leaving not a hint of a tan.
green-squid wrote: c'mon guys! This is a DUCK thread okay?

There is a goose (almost duck right???) game coming out for the Nintendo Switch and it looks fun and goofy :)
We had goose last Christmas instead of turkey. I wasn't really completely impressed by it: I mean it's a very solid meaty sort of meat, but for all the torrent of fat that comes off it, it's weirdly dry. The fat is nice for doing roast spuds, though: accept no substitute.

I think we'll stick with turkey this Christmas, though my other half seems to be warming to the idea of a ham. Of course muggins here will end up having to cook whatever it is because I once said "I actually quite like cooking" in a rather absent-minded fit of unguarded misjudgement.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

28 Aug 2018, 20:50

I prefer ham for holiday celebrations. I like chicken but I'm not much of a fan of the other fowl I've tried over the years. I used to pour hot sauce on the turkey and whatnot because they are so dry.

vometia
irritant

29 Aug 2018, 10:17

Turkey can be very hit-and-miss with the dryness and definitely needs basting and what-not. It also seems to vary from one variety to another and I've found the bronze turkeys to be quite nice. But the meat would definitely need to be served with gravy and pork stuffing (I quite like the stuff with apricots and chestnuts at Christmas) to make sure any dryness is banished from my plate! Never could quite get used to the taste of cranberry sauce, though: I'm not generally big on sweet and savoury flavours together, though as I've got older I have gradually developed a taste for things like pork & apple sausages, though apple sauce with roast pork is still too much for me; and the aforementioned apricots with lamb and some Moroccan-influenced spices can be really nice too.

chuckdee

29 Aug 2018, 20:58

I've had some really good turkey and some really bad turkey. Ham seems harder to mess up. Of course, last year my wife was going to buy one of those packaged turkeys that you just put in and cook, and it ended up being chicken- she was so rushed that she didn't notice. It was still good so I wasn't complaining.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Aug 2018, 22:02

I've had really good turkey, but it's still inferior to chicken and other non-fowl.

vometia
irritant

30 Aug 2018, 13:53

Perhaps curiously, I've found chicken is sometimes harder to cook reliably for some reason: breasts (off the bone) can be especially problematic in terms of getting a bit tough, though I suspect part of that is cooking them straight from refrigerated temperature. Though I'm not generally keen on leaving it lying around to warm up!

Perhaps part of the problem is that we usually buy organic food: the vegetables usually taste nicer IMHO but the meat can often be the other way round, and "organic" isn't necessarily synonymous with "good". I persist as I like to think it has a higher chance of good animal welfare (yeah I know, they still get eaten!) so I just have to live with the consequences. But I do like roast chicken with garlic and lemon, and some sage and other random herbs we have growing in the garden.

Duck is probably my favourite fowl, to go full circle (well, half circle, let's not go back there) even if it is a bit of a faff to cook: it's quick and I like the fact it's the one type of fowl that's safe to eat medium-rare. Well, and nice: I dare say chicken would be fairly, er, foul if it was semi-cooked even if not for the salmonella etc risk.

davkol

30 Aug 2018, 15:04

savantstrike

30 Aug 2018, 20:24

Blaise170 wrote:
savantstrike wrote:
Blaise170 wrote:This is now a duck thread.

I had a pair of pet ducks when I was a kid. It almost made up for the membrane switches on my keyboard at the time.
Nice! Do you know what kind?
Pekin ducks. Standard all white ducks that grow to gigantic proportions.

They got a bit too big for our suburban backyard and we were concerned they might want to migrate at some point, so we sent them to a nature preserve run by a friend of a friend of the family. I saw them a few years later and they were the size of small turkeys. I only found out in later years they would've happily hung around and all we needed was a small space heater.

They really did go to a nature preserve too - I got to see them a few years later with their markings etc, so I'm confident they didn't just get eaten.

It was nice to have a supply of duck eggs while they were around. They are significantly heartier than chicken eggs.
vometia wrote:Perhaps curiously, I've found chicken is sometimes harder to cook reliably for some reason: breasts (off the bone) can be especially problematic in terms of getting a bit tough, though I suspect part of that is cooking them straight from refrigerated temperature. Though I'm not generally keen on leaving it lying around to warm up!

Perhaps part of the problem is that we usually buy organic food: the vegetables usually taste nicer IMHO but the meat can often be the other way round, and "organic" isn't necessarily synonymous with "good". I persist as I like to think it has a higher chance of good animal welfare (yeah I know, they still get eaten!) so I just have to live with the consequences. But I do like roast chicken with garlic and lemon, and some sage and other random herbs we have growing in the garden.

Duck is probably my favourite fowl, to go full circle (well, half circle, let's not go back there) even if it is a bit of a faff to cook: it's quick and I like the fact it's the one type of fowl that's safe to eat medium-rare. Well, and nice: I dare say chicken would be fairly, er, foul if it was semi-cooked even if not for the salmonella etc risk.
I love medium rare duck. The extra fat on a duck also conveys an almost bacon like flavor (especially to duck breast). If ducks grew as fast as chickens the meat would probably be a lot more common as it's fantastic. Then again, if ducks were raised like chickens are commercially raised, the whole medium rare thing would be out the door.

mr_a500

27 Dec 2020, 21:42

[delete]

Return to “Off-topic”