Retr0bright: is there such thing as *too* bright

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

27 Jul 2018, 01:32

I've been mostly happy with my experiences using peroxide to whiten keyboards. But I do see a lot of posts where people have used retr0bright and the keyboard turns out ghost white. Is this really restoring the original color?

Wodan's excellent post about using peroxide and heat really highlighted to me that different agents can produce drastically different results.
workshop-f7/retrobright-2-0-no-more-uv- ... 19220.html

So if the goal is to get the item as white as possible, that might make you lean towards using one approach over another. But what really produces the best results in terms of giving you an end product that looks as close to the original as possible?

As a reference point, I have been using 3% peroxide and a UV lamp. This probably seems bush league but to be honest, I think it produces decent results (unless the item is super yellow, in which case I'd probably go with something more like 6%). I'm not sure I'd want to go any lighter in most cases.

What are people's thoughts on the topic? Has the same thought occurred to you? Is this a non-issue? Do true enthusiasts learn to love the yellow? Should I be spending my time thinking about more worthwhile things? Have I lost my mind? :lol:

Findecanor

27 Jul 2018, 02:49

Retr0bright should not be able to get the result brighter than the original colour, at least not evenly. When ABS has been overbleached, there are brighter streaks in the plastic and the plastic gets brittle.

mark201200

28 Jul 2018, 17:29

Findecanor wrote: Retr0bright should not be able to get the result brighter than the original colour, at least not evenly. When ABS has been overbleached, there are brighter streaks in the plastic and the plastic gets brittle.
is there any way to fix these streaks? I got some streaks on my AEK (not my AEK2 tho, idk why)

Return to “Off-topic”