The Windows 8 Logo Rant

abrahamstechnology

14 Sep 2018, 21:50

Also, I absolutely hater the modern windows logo on keyboards, it just triggers my OCD, and looks very garish, I know it's Microsoft's fault, but Tai-Hao still uses the Windows 7 logo on theirs, I'm not sure if companies have to keep the logo updated with a license from Microsoft or something, but I wish people would just use the older ones. It makes me cringe anytime I see that logo on otherwise nice keycaps.

That logo needs to be confined to all the modern laptops, thin, flimsy, Macbook knockoffs with terrible chiclet keyboards, not quality mechs.

Muirium
µ

14 Sep 2018, 21:53

Agreed. Keycaps are no place for logos. Well, unless they’re novelty keys of our choosing!

The Mac was going to have an Apple key until Steve noticed and nixed it:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?st ... ground.txt

abrahamstechnology

14 Sep 2018, 21:58

Muirium wrote: Agreed. Keycaps are no place for logos. Well, unless they’re novelty keys of our choosing!

The Mac was going to have an Apple key until Steve noticed and nixed it:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?st ... ground.txt
Now that should be the standard command symbol. Especially in a few years, when ReactOS matures, and takes market share away from Windows 10, hopefully.

scottc

14 Sep 2018, 21:59

abrahamstechnology wrote: [...]

Especially in a few years, when ReactOS matures, and takes market share away from Windows 10, hopefully.
Yeah, right after the year of the Linux desktop.

abrahamstechnology

14 Sep 2018, 22:11

scottc wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: [...]

Especially in a few years, when ReactOS matures, and takes market share away from Windows 10, hopefully.
Yeah, right after the year of the Linux desktop.
I used to love Linux, but the problem is in doing simple things.

For example, for my web browsing desktop, I had a USB Wi-Fi dongle, Lubuntu didn't have a driver for.
Not to worry, the CD had the driver for Linux, all I had to do was compile it.
But when I tried to compile it, "make" wasn't found!
So, I searched on my laptop to try to find make so I could compile the driver
But no one had a package for it that I could just download, their only suggestion was to run the apt-get command to download it from a repository.
But I CAN'T do that because my Wi-Fi card isn't working!

I ended up just installing Windows 7.

depletedvespene

14 Sep 2018, 22:20

abrahamstechnology wrote: Also, I absolutely hater the modern windows logo on keyboards, it just triggers my OCD, and looks very garish, I know it's Microsoft's fault, but Tai-Hao still uses the Windows 7 logo on theirs, I'm not sure if companies have to keep the logo updated with a license from Microsoft or something, but I wish people would just use the older ones. It makes me cringe anytime I see that logo on otherwise nice keycaps.

That logo needs to be confined to all the modern laptops, thin, flimsy, Macbook knockoffs with terrible chiclet keyboards, not quality mechs.
Oh, yeah, company logos made into keyboards were always poorly received. Like...
L1.jpg
L1.jpg (96.7 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
... and...
L2.jpg
L2.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
... which couldn't help themselves to repeat the mistake...
L3.jpg
L3.jpg (155.19 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
... and even a very special company:
L4.jpg
L4.jpg (94.43 KiB) Viewed 3122 times

Actually, back in the day, those logos were almost expected to be worked into the keyboard itself, at least on computers not primarily focused on office usage. The real problem nowadays is that the Windows symbol is a) a logo for a software company with a well-reserved poor reputation (and not the hardware maker) ; b) changes excessively often, with a new version of it on every major release, which doesn't go well with hardware branding... and that doesn't take into account the blatantness of the cheap attempt at presenting the GUI key as if it had been an innovation of M$ (which wasn't).

Oh, well...

Findecanor

15 Sep 2018, 17:18

I don't want any Windows logo, simply because I don't like Microsoft. On my first PC keyboards from 1997 onwards, where I could not simply replace the keycaps, I removed them with acetone and painted on the Meta ⋄ symbol. My mechanical keyboards don't have them, or don't have Windows keys altogether.

BTW, earlier Tai-Hao keycaps did not have a licensed Windows logo, only the right half of the earliest version.

Darkshado

16 Sep 2018, 04:37

abrahamstechnology wrote: For example, for my web browsing desktop, I had a USB Wi-Fi dongle, Lubuntu didn't have a driver for.
Not to worry, the CD had the driver for Linux, all I had to do was compile it.
But when I tried to compile it, "make" wasn't found!
So, I searched on my laptop to try to find make so I could compile the driver
But no one had a package for it that I could just download, their only suggestion was to run the apt-get command to download it from a repository.
(Off topic warning.)

You could use a *buntu DVD or USB stick as a package repository, iirc GNU Make and gcc are on there.
It's also possible to get the .deb packages from a repo and transfer them over to another machine, it'll be tedious but there's no reason it wouldn't work with the proper dependencies.

Another (better?) workaround would have been to use that laptop as a network bridge, i.e. use the laptop's Wi-Fi connection to provide a wired connection to that desktop machine, get the packages and sort out the driver. (This also works to update an usually disconnected, wired-only gaming console in a pinch.)

(Back on topic)

Given the choice I'll take an OS agnostic logo or legend (e.g. Super) over the Windows logo. With that said if the logo's there I'll mostly live with it. One exception is the weird embossed circle variant they had during the Vista era.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Sep 2018, 03:25

I don't really mind, and I really quite like the old Win95 era logo (although not very common on new keysets). Given the choice I'd prefer just a CODE, META, diamond, or whatever else but I'm fine with Windows being there too.

Return to “Off-topic”