Reddit keyboard horror!

User avatar
Muirium
µ

02 Oct 2018, 10:22

I’ve no idea what this thread is about, but I would like to register my like of Keebs…

User avatar
hansichen

02 Oct 2018, 10:31

zrrion wrote: if I'm gonna build a keyboard 60% at 500 a full-sized keyboard is going to be even more! Not something I want to shell out for when a good vintage full-sized board is a fraction of that. I will say that it helps that a 60% puts the alpha block in the center of the desk which is more comfortable. the form factor has multiple advantages. I feel like price is a pretty big draw. (the hhkb is expensive because topre)
I cannot really follow you. Here are three group buys with different sizes and the prices are fairly similar for what you get. The price difference between 60% and full-size is about 40 more switches (which are like 20ct each if you go with Cherry switches, maybe up to 40$ in total if you use overpriced clones) and you need a numpad keycap set (which gmk sets have included and which is roughly 25$ more with SP sets). I cannot see why you shouldn't go with your prefered layout when you already spend that much money.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96648.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93572.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97531.0

And topre itself doesn't have to be expensive, the Novatouch sold for a bit over 100€ when it was still produced. But people still bought the hhkb.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

02 Oct 2018, 10:39

The NovaTouch had serious issues. All down to its ginger haired stepchild status stuck between CM and Topre’s responsibility. It was not the low cost Topre anyone was looking for. Not with all that clatter.

Findecanor

02 Oct 2018, 12:34

Slom wrote: keeb? keeb. keeb! KEEB!!111!

Whats wrong with estonian boiled food?
https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/keeb
Apparently it means "boils", as in "it is boiling".
I think the "ee" is a long "eh"/ë, not like English "ie". (if Estonian is like Finnish in this matter, which I know is its closest relative)

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

03 Oct 2018, 16:39

Small vintage mechs exist. Like the Wyse WY-30. Also comes with doubleshot keycaps that would be very expensive if you bought them new from Signature Plastics nowadays.

User avatar
mike52787
Alps Aficionado

03 Oct 2018, 16:55

Elrick wrote:
mike52787 wrote: Pretty sweet mod, dont know what you're on about. anyway it's just a model m... totally dime a dozen.
"Just a Model-M", what supreme and petty ignorance :x .

Every time I see another post about the Model-M being worthless and insignificant, I need to reach for my AR-15 and climb a church steeple for some retribution.

Typical blasphemy such as that deserves the maximum punishment, from every IBM Model-M keyboard collector/user.
model m is shit, prove me wrong

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

03 Oct 2018, 17:02

mike52787 wrote:
Elrick wrote:
mike52787 wrote: Pretty sweet mod, dont know what you're on about. anyway it's just a model m... totally dime a dozen.
"Just a Model-M", what supreme and petty ignorance :x .

Every time I see another post about the Model-M being worthless and insignificant, I need to reach for my AR-15 and climb a church steeple for some retribution.

Typical blasphemy such as that deserves the maximum punishment, from every IBM Model-M keyboard collector/user.
model m is shit, prove me wrong
Great keyfeel, great noise, ~$100 for a completely new one. Other new fullsize mechs that price are mostly RGB junk or a barebones Cherry G80 without a backplate.

User avatar
depletedvespene

03 Oct 2018, 17:03

mike52787 wrote:
Elrick wrote:
mike52787 wrote: Pretty sweet mod, dont know what you're on about. anyway it's just a model m... totally dime a dozen.
"Just a Model-M", what supreme and petty ignorance :x .

Every time I see another post about the Model-M being worthless and insignificant, I need to reach for my AR-15 and climb a church steeple for some retribution.

Typical blasphemy such as that deserves the maximum punishment, from every IBM Model-M keyboard collector/user.
model m is shit, prove me wrong
I've defecated all kinds of things, but never have I shitted out a buckling spring. QED

User avatar
mike52787
Alps Aficionado

03 Oct 2018, 17:07

abrahamstechnology wrote: Great keyfeel, great noise, ~$100 for a completely new one. Other new fullsize mechs that price are mostly RGB junk or a barebones Cherry G80 without a backplate.
meh... keyfeel is a quite subjective factor so I'll leave that out... but im not a fan
noise? no thanks
And in my opinion there aren't any "good" keyboards under $100.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

03 Oct 2018, 17:18

mike52787 wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: Great keyfeel, great noise, ~$100 for a completely new one. Other new fullsize mechs that price are mostly RGB junk or a barebones Cherry G80 without a backplate.
meh... keyfeel is a quite subjective factor so I'll leave that out... but im not a fan
noise? no thanks
And in my opinion there aren't any "good" keyboards under $100.
But for what you get, a new Unicomp Model M is pretty good. Dye sublimated keycaps, a bit sloppy but still dye sublimated. A noise that isn't cheap and rattly like MX Blues, but full, and not too harsh. More like a ringing click.

User avatar
samuelcable

03 Oct 2018, 17:25

abrahamstechnology wrote:
mike52787 wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: Great keyfeel, great noise, ~$100 for a completely new one. Other new fullsize mechs that price are mostly RGB junk or a barebones Cherry G80 without a backplate.
meh... keyfeel is a quite subjective factor so I'll leave that out... but im not a fan
noise? no thanks
And in my opinion there aren't any "good" keyboards under $100.
But for what you get, a new Unicomp Model M is pretty good. Dye sublimated keycaps, a bit sloppy but still dye sublimated. A noise that isn't cheap and rattly like MX Blues, but full, and not too harsh. More like a ringing click.
Again you can disagree with me since this is 100 percent subjective, and I hate mx blues, but honestly I think model m sounds even worse than blues. The ping-thunk is so shrill and awful to my ears

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

03 Oct 2018, 17:44

samuelcable wrote: Again you can disagree with me since this is 100 percent subjective, and I hate mx blues, but honestly I think model m sounds even worse than blues. The ping-thunk is so shrill and awful to my ears
In my opinion, ping gives switches more character. Just a click sounds boring and more dead in comparison.

User avatar
mike52787
Alps Aficionado

03 Oct 2018, 18:29

Definitely gonna have to disagree there. I can't stand spring ping, especially on alps and BS. Back when I still had a model f It was floss modded, and I have lubed the springs lf my skcl browns and skcm blues. IMNSHO blue alps (in a nice plastic backed chassis) are the only clicky switches with a decent sound.

User avatar
Quartz64

04 Oct 2018, 10:49

My apologies to all of you who think that modding any Model M is an act of barbaric blasphemy. I have some excuses though:
  • I wanted to destroy something beautiful.
  • It wasn't rare Model M. Not 1st gen, not industrial, etc. Just ususal 1996 made by Lexmark.
  • Right-top part of the case had some visible scratches.
  • It had two faulty pads on the nav cluster. Separate order for the new membrane from Unicomp is too costly.
  • It's not possible with Unicomp. At least without a tricky patching with copper tape.
To atone for my sin, I've preventively repaired about 15 Model M 101/102 and 122 keyboards including that one.

User avatar
vometia
irritant

04 Oct 2018, 13:51

Quartz64 wrote: To atone for my sin, I've preventively repaired about 15 Model M 101/102 and 122 keyboards including that one.
That is a very nice clean-up job of an especially filthy keyboard. Not sure about the banana mod though. But I really need to figure out bolt-modding; or how to get someone else to do it for me. :lol:

Anyway, I think the mini-M is cute and it's a nicely-executed mod.

User avatar
Myoth

04 Oct 2018, 17:14

Quartz64 wrote: My apologies to all of you who think that modding any Model M is an act of barbaric blasphemy.
don't sweat it, only modding can save Model Ms :mrgreen:

User avatar
Scarpia

04 Oct 2018, 17:36

I like it too, very cleanly done, maybe not the best color scheme but to each his own.

And the normal model m is not even remotely rare, remember they made millions of them and they’re damn near indestructible... which is of course one of the things we Dweebs With Keebs like about them.

User avatar
green-squid

04 Oct 2018, 20:36

I like it a lot! This would be my perfect M honestly. The arrow keys are a different matter though..

Lowworkingmemory

30 Nov 2018, 18:42

I don't understand what the big problem is, it was just a 1990s model. It doesn't have the same quality as the 1980s Model Ms, and even then I would only consider the non PC/AT protocol or nonstandard colored Model Ms to be rare.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Nov 2018, 18:50

Lowworkingmemory wrote: I don't understand what the big problem is, it was just a 1990s model. It doesn't have the same quality as the 1980s Model Ms, and even then I would only consider the non PC/AT protocol or nonstandard colored Model Ms to be rare.
True, it is a nice little project though.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”